It All Started With A Bet | Teen Ink

It All Started With A Bet

By CrescentMoon BRONZE, Hammond, Indiana
CrescentMoon BRONZE, Hammond, Indiana

I climbed out of the car and walked up to the chain linked fence. An old chain was pathetically wrapped around two bars and was held together by a brand new lock. I turned around to face the others in the car and shook my head. I cupped my hand around my mouth and shouted, "It's no use guys there's a lock, we're not getting in." Sounds of car doors opening and closing met my shout and was soon followed by foot steps heading my way. I saw the shape of Marcel's mow hawk before I saw his face or he himself. Next to follow was George and his shining earrings, then Luis's small stature, and finally Max and his wild hair came into view. Marcel inspected the chain and lock before yanking on the rusted chain and reducing it to nothing but pieces. "Look Kelly, I know you think this is a bad idea but a bet is a bet." Marcel spoke. I sighed and pushed my glasses up to rub the bridge of my nose. "It is a bad idea and a very stupid one that you included me in without my consent." I grouched. This whole thing started with Marcel and Deshaun making a bet about some stupid thing and the loser had to sneak into Bachelor's Grove Cemetery a haunted cemetery. Marcel lost and now had dragged George, Luis, Max, and I into to coming with him.

I sighed and tried to ignore the feeling in my stomach, that alone was enough of a hint to tell me this was a stupid. My stomach only became unsettled when something horrible was going to happen to me. Marcel and George pried the gate opened and walked in. Max followed behind the two boys and with an unsure glance at me so did Luis. I looked up at the night sky and then down the surprisingly empty road. "Oh gosh this is so cliché and we are seriously going to die." I say to myself before walking inside and hurriedly closed the gate before it could close itself. "Why did you close the gate?" asked Max. I turned around and smiled sheepishly, "Well in almost every scary ,movie the doors close themselves and freak the teenagers out so I figured gates were the same." I answered, Luis who had been listening arched an eyebrow and gave me a weird look. Max did the same but laughed and shook his head, "Oh well it sounds stupid now but when a door closes itself on you later it won't seem so stupid then." I lamely defended myself.

Marcel and George were stopped up ahead looking around at the few tombstones and trees, "You know for a cemetery there aren't a lot of tombstones." stated Luis. I scoffed "Yes let's question why there aren't anymore dead people below are feet." I walked up to Marcel and poked him in the bicep, "Alright we came, we saw, and now may we leave?" I practically begged. Marcel put his hand in my face, "Kelly you're asking for a good muffing alright?" said Marcel. I grumbled and smacked his hand out of my face, "Fine if we can't leave then what do you want us to do then?" I grumbled. Marcel waved Luis, Max, and George over from their "sight seeing" so he could speak with them. "Alright guys, it's going to be a classic Scooby-Doo thing. We're gonna split up Kelly you're going to go with Max and Luis." Marcel pointed at Luis, Max, and I, "Me and George are gonna stick together." commanded. I fake saluted Marcel and barely heard Luis whisper, "That makes George and Marcel Daphne and Fred." to Max. I giggled and covered my mouths while Luis and Max openly chuckled.

I grabbed Max's and Luis's forearms and dragged them away in a direction, "Wait Kelly I haven't given you guys a map yet." yelled Marcel. I planted my feet in the ground and came to a halt, "Luis be a doll and grab the map I totally knew about." I spoke quietly. Luis ran back to Marcel and took the map, out the corner of my eye I saw George look to Luis and say something before all three males started laughing. When Luis came back with the map I stared at him questioning him with my eyes, "What did

George say?" asked Max. Luis chuckled once more before shaking his head, "I'll tell you later where she can't kill me for repeating it." responded Luis. I growled under my breath before snatching the map away. I reached for my flash light at my waist but met my jean clad hip, "Guys where's my flash light." I asked looking at the grass not seeing anything. After a few seconds of not seeing a flash light anywhere I take out my phone and turn the flash light on there, "I really liked that flash light but, I'm fine with a phone." I announce. The three of us make our own path through the trees and tombstones looking for any type of supernatural activity.

"We aren't going to find anything." complained Max. I nod my head in agreement and open my mouth just as I am but as soon as I do a floating orb appears to my left. Luis who is the closest to the orb jumps and backs away quickly. I hide behind Luis and peer over his shoulder to stare at the orb. "What the heck is that?!" I utter fear obvious in my voice. I turned my head towards Max's direction but he wasn't there. "Uh Luis, Max isn't behind me." I say my voice trembling. "What!?" shouts Luis. "He's not behind me anymore, when I grabbed onto your shoulders he was behind me but now he's not." I explain. "He's probably just pranking us but, we need to figure out what's up with this glowing thingy." said Luis. "We need to find Max first it's just a stupid glowing orb. Max could be getting eaten or something." I demand. Luis sighs and turns to face me but, when he does I can't help but scream out of shock and raise my hand to his face. Luis gives me a questioning look and touches his face when he pulls his hands away his features resemble mine. "Luis there's a star in a circle carved into your face." I say as calmly as I can.

Luis covers his face with his hands and kneels to the dirt, "I know now, I can feel it ." Luis says through clenched teeth. I reach for Luis's hand and pull him up, "C'mon we need to find Max or at least George and Marcel and get the heck out of here." I say. Luis nods and we back track the way we came, but everything looks the same and tombstone name blend in together. "Luis I think we're lost." I note looking around for the familiar gate. I flash the light from my phone around shedding light over a crumbling tombstones and gnarled tree branches. I almost smack myself in the face at the obvious, "Luis use your phone to call Max or Marcel they should have their phones on them." I tell him. Luis facepalms and quickly takes out his phone and dials Max's phone. "Max didn't answer I'm going to call Marcel then try Max again." Luis states. I nod in understanding behind a tree I hear the distinct sound of something ringing. I nearly cry, hoping that it isn't Marcel's phone. I walk towards the sound until I feel something vibrating underneath my foot. I take a deep breath and exhale before slowly lifting my foot. I curse my luck, under my foot lies Marcel's phone.

I pick it up and answer the phone, "Luis I found Marcel's phone but not him." I speak into the phone. "I'm going to kill you." comes a growl from the other side of the phone before the line goes dead. I retract the phone from my ear and stare at it. I throw it down and run to the open space where Luis was before I went to search for Marcel's phone. I shout his name and begin running again, "Luis! Max! George! Marcel! Anyone!" I shout out. I keep running until I collide into a wall of flesh and fall to my butt. I look up to see Max standing in front of me, "You jerk! Where did you go!" I scream. I stand up and punch Max but as soon as my fist makes contact with his body Max's head falls off his body. Blood spurts out like a sick twisted fountain, his body tips forward and I barely dodge it. The blood feels cool on my skin and I feel as if I'm going to vomit. If Max's blood was cool that means he had been dead for a while already, I cover my mouth with my hand and close my eyes.

With one last look at Max's decapitated body I start running again searching for the other males. I keeping running ignoring my leg's protest and pleadings for me to stop running and to rest. I ignore them and continue. I hit something with my foot and find myself falling to the grass, I almost don't want to look and see what I tripped over. Something in my head tells me to just stand up, ignore whatever it is, and keep running. I don't though, I climb to my hands and knees, grab my phone and flash it to whatever I tripped on. I am met with George's unconscious face, I can't see any fatal wounds. I crawl towards him and lowers my head to his chest, I hear the faint thump thump of his heart. I am filled with hope, I cross my hands over his chest and begin performing CPR on him. "C'mon George wake up." I growl through clenched teeth. "Kelly you're alive?" I hear someone gasp. I turn around to see Marcel, who is like me, covered in blood. "Marcel, thank gosh you're alive. How'd you and George get separated?" I ask while I still continue to pump his chest.

Marcel comes over and stands behind me not saying a word, just staring at me. I turn and look up at him but his eyes are fixed on George below me, "You could help you know give him mouth to mouth." I mention half serious and half not. Just as I say that George begins coughing and sits up, he looks around before he finally looks at me. "You freak..." he groans pausing to catch a breath, "how'd you find me." If we weren't in our situation I would've hit him, "I tripped over your face and Marcel found us." I clarify. George stiffens at Marcel's name before climbing to his feet and finally taking notice to the silent male behind me. I stand up slowly and raise my hand to try and pacify George, "Hey what's up tell me what happened." I speak soothingly though inside I can feel my stomach causing an uproar of unease. George looks upset and scared at the same time, "You idiot!" he yells, "Can't you tell the difference between a regular Marcel and a demon possessed Marcel!" he screams. "What?" I question before I'm knocked to the ground from a blow to the head. I groan and roll onto my back to see Marcel less like himself. He could barely stand without wobbling and his head wouldn't stay up.

I scrambled to my feet just as George had and ran over to George's side. Marcel's breathing was labored and held a peculiar sound to it. Marcel drops down to all fours, elbows and knees bent at oddly shaped angles, a growling noise coming from his throat. He tilts his head before lumbering towards us at a unexpected speed. I push George and jump out of the way causing Marcel to hit a tree behind us. A large stick is thrown next to me, I look up to see George has one of his own. I grab the branch and knock it against Marcel's head as he charges me. I send him flying to the ground but he is soon to recover. George lets out a yell and brings the branch down upon Marcel's spine causing it to bend out of place. Still Marcel climbs to his hands and knees but now his spine is caving in. He charges at us once more before I smash my branch against his head over and over and over. Marcel stops moving or even struggling, where his head was is now a pool of smashed brains, skull chunks, and blood. "You killed him." George mumbles quietly. I shake my head, "No look at his throat it's torn open." I elaborate.

"We need to get out of here, but Luis had our map and I never looked at it. You still have yours?" I ask George. He nods and pulls out the crumbled paper and hand it over to me. I look over it and try to make out where we are. George looks over my shoulder and points to a red line on the map, "This is the way me and Marcel came, if we follow it back then maybe we can get back to the car." he states. I nod and fold the map up then place it into my pocket. I walk over to where I had dropped my phone and pick it up. I look back at George, "Let's go, maybe we'll find Luis." I uttered before walking the direction from the map. We walk in silence listening to the cacophony of leaves rustling and branches knocking against each other. Just as I pull out the map I see the entrance gate and car. I immediately run towards it and try to pry the gate open. "George c'mon we're almost out. Just help me with this. Hurry!"

I scream excitedly. George rushes over but instead of helping with the gate he presses me against. "George?" I speak quietly. A dark voice with a deep tenor growls in my ear, "Wrong." George grabs my hair and throws me to the ground and kicks me on to my side.

He places a heavy foot on my chest, he smiles down at me teeth sharp and bloody. Blood drips from his gums and splatter on my cheek, I grimace at the feel of it sliding down. He growls before dropping down to hover over me, his eyes are no longer brown but pitch black. George opens jaws wider than any normal human being and tears into my bicep. I scream out in agony and try to push him off me to no avail. George pulls back black eyes flickering to me before he digs in once more to tear off more flesh. I grasp for things to help me escape but I find nothing, I reach into my pocket and bash my phone into the side of his face. Its enough for me to push him off, George rolls off me and I climb to my feet and run to the gate. Its barely open but I manage to slip through. I run to the car and rip open the door and slam it just before George tears through the gate. I lock the doors before yanking open the glove box and grabbing the spare keys. George bangs on the car window while I struggle to place the key in the ignition, "Let me in!!!" he screams cracking the window. His voice is sinister and inhuman and I almost cry with relief once I get the key inside.

I start the car and it instantly comes to life, I step on the gas pedal and drive speed off leaving George behind. My arm bleeds profusely and I wish I could pull over and try and mend to it. Once I get a safe distance away from the cemetery I let out a sigh of relief. The sun is slowly peeking over the horizon and I go to check my phone for the time when I remember I used to knock George off me. I begin to laugh and that quickly turns to tears, soon I'm laughing and crying at the same time. "What's so funny." comes a hoarse voice. I whip my head to look in the backseat and there is Luis laid out in the back seat. Except he's just as bloody as I am maybe even worse, but what catches my eye is the gaping hole in his abdomen. "Luis...how are you alive?" I ask fear laced in between my words. A chuckle reaches my ear when I feel a pair of lips next to my ear, "I'm not."