Cancer, Three Months Left.....Pregnant | Teen Ink

Cancer, Three Months Left.....Pregnant

By AubreyNicole97 BRONZE, Hardyville, Kentucky
AubreyNicole97 BRONZE, Hardyville, Kentucky

"its better to have loved and lost; than to have never loved"
-unknown

Cancer, only three months left….pregnant.
Brittany was your everyday average high-school girl, or so it seemed. When Brittany was only thirteen years old, she was diagnosed with cancer. She was eighteen, a senior at Blueridge High-school. She was a straight A student, on the volleyball team, swim team, and she was on the track team.

A few months before the end of the year, Brittany found out she was pregnant. She and her boyfriend Thomas were excited, but also very concerned. They were worried about; how they are going to be able to support not only themselves but the baby as well, if they would be able to finish highschool, what her mother would think, and about their future as parents.

A few weeks after she found out, Brittany sat down after school with her mom and and told her the news. Brittany’s mom Sharon, not too thrilled with the news, told Brittany that if they needed it she would help her and Thomas with supporting the baby. She agreed to babysit while her and Thomas were at school and work, but she also made it clear that she wasn’t giving them freedom to just be out all the time and not take care of the baby.

Shortly after they made plans of their future with the baby Brittany and Thomas got engaged and, shortly after the end of their senior year they got married. After the wedding things calmed down quite a bit. Thomas applied for a job a well-paying factory, and every day after school Brittany and Sharon, prepared for the baby. August came and Brittany went to the ob/gyn.

“It’s a girl!” Said the doctor, Brittany, with Thomas at her side was smiling in excitement. On September twenty-sixth, only having 3 more months left until her baby girl arrived, Britany went to her yearly visit to her cancer doctor. They ran their normal tests and left Brittany waiting for the results in her room.

When the results were in from her tests, the doctor came in and told Brittany the news. The doctor came in and sat down with a folder in her hands. Noticing the concern on the doctor’s face, Brittany asked, “Is there a problem doctor?” The doctor taking a break from re-reading the paper-work, looked up with sadness in her eyes. With a voice so soft Brittany could barely hear her, she said, “Yes.”

Brittany filled with disbelief of what she just heard, asked, “Excuse me, what?” “The results came back from your test,” said the doctor. Thomas took Brittany’s hand in his and said, “And? What did they say?” The doctor stood shifting her weight onto one leg, and began walking over to her desk, she then said, “I’m afraid the news isn’t good.”

Brittany’s eyes began to fill with tears. “Well what did they say?” Brittany asked. Looking down at her shoes the doctor began to speak quietly, “I don’t know of any better way to put this, so I’m just going to come out and say it, Brittany I’m really sorry but you only have three months left to live.” Brittany’s heart sank to her feet, the first thing that came to her mind was, what about the baby?

Brittany was your everyday average high-school girl, or so it seemed.