Angel's Trumpet | Teen Ink

Angel's Trumpet

By coralcat BRONZE, Auburn, Alabama
coralcat BRONZE, Auburn, Alabama

A shrill scream pierced the night sky. Lilith’s eyes flew open. Sweat trickled down her forehead. Lately, nightmares kept invading her sleep. This time, she had dreamt about the woman’s white fingers choking her. Outside, the rain pelted down like daggers. The trees shook and quivered violently. Thunder boomed. Grabbing the gas lamp, she started setting up her paint set. She cringed at the thought of falling asleep. Whatever it took, she knew that she couldn’t risk going back in bed. The lady was always in her nightmares. Adding one last stroke onto the canvas, she gently laid the brush onto the table.
Beams of light broke through the window. Finally, the new day was born. Drawing her curtains, she saw the sunrise. For her, time stood still. The view was captivating. However, this enchanting moment was abruptly halted by the knocking on her door. Lilith swung the door open. She glanced at the maids. They were eagerly waiting her orders. “Of course they are,” she thought.
Lilith couldn’t help but feel disgust at them. They were no more than mere fools who had as much common sense as a cow. Lilith gracefully got out her chair and faced them. She quickly masked a smile. The maids fell for it. Nodding at each of them, she smiled kindly. The maids murmured a greeting in response. They were in awe of Lilith. As she left, the maids scrambled to their feet and began cleaning her paints and brushes. Grasping her dress, she tiptoed down the twirling stairs. With her heels clicking, she came to an abrupt stop.
The haunting melody resonated through the hall. She hadn’t heard this type of talent ever since her mother died. Lilith peeked in to find out who the talented musician was. To her astonishment, there was not a single soul in the music room. Lilith quickly pivoted around and headed the opposite direction. The rest of the day, she couldn’t shake the disturbing event that had happened earlier. She fiddled nervously and tried sewing to ease her paranoia. Nothing could ease her tension. She kept on pricking her fingers. A drop of blood dripped down. She knew it was crazy for thinking this, but at that exact moment, the blood looked oddly pretty. The intensity of the color was like red wine. It was perfect for painting. She squeezed her finger until more came rushing out of her cut. Satisfied, she took a handkerchief and wrapped it around.
She stared at the grandfather clock. Wings grew and the rhythmic ticking turned to screams. Drops of blood started to drip from the ceiling. Everything about the house was turning into a living fright. She could feel herself getting insane by the minute. Lilith clenched her eyes shut. Her hallucinations were ruining her. Lilith desperately wished someone else was here with her. No, what was she thinking? If people saw her deranged like this, they would send her to the loony bin. She had to go through this alone. It was good her fiancé was gone. It had already been a month since Clarence’s absence. Clarence was not due to come back until next week. For now, she was stuck in this vast mansion alone. Almost half of the time, she was watched by the butler and maids like hawks. It was all thanks to Clarence. He didn’t want his dear fiancé to get hurt. Lilith was not a little child. She knew how to take care of herself. As if everyone else didn’t know, she knew the true motive.
To put it simply, she was similar to an exotic bird caged by her owner. Fear that she would be whisked away by some other man; he chooses to lock her away. The only place she could visit was Elswood’s mansion---- and that was only when Winston wasn’t there! Lilith knew that Clarence was a sweetheart. It was reassuring to know how much Clarence loved her. She chuckled. She remembered his attempts on stealing her heart. Who wouldn’t? She had the face of an angel. The truth was all in the mirror. Suddenly, the clock chimed. It was already time to eat dinner. With the most unladylike sigh possible, she made her way to the dining room. There, waiting was no other than Clarence! She gasped. She turned and glared at the butler and maids. They were just as shocked as she was. Ignoring them, Clarence walked over and kissed her. She knew that the minute his lips touched hers, her face grew red. Out of politeness, the servants left the room. Lilith was thrilled. He had come earlier than she had expected. These were the kinds of surprises that she enjoyed. Not like the event that happened in the parlor. Just the thought of it made her shudder. “Enough of that,” thought Lilith.
Her mind kept playing tricks on her. Lately, it had done so. Shaking it off her mind, she listened intently to her fiancé. Tonight, her attention was all on Clarence. Everyone loved Clarence. He made the whole house brighten. As Clarence chattered happily, she realized that he was more handsome than she gave credit for. Not only was he tall, but he also had soft, shamrock green eyes that were flecked with gold. With his hair the color of sunshine, he was stunning. How couldn’t she have seen it sooner? She had fallen in love with him.
Lilith couldn’t. This wasn’t supposed to happen. Right on cue, the telephone rang. Apologetically, Clarence rose from his chair and headed toward the parlour. The minute he left, the forks turned to demons. Their teeth glinted sharply and flew at her. She shrieked and ducked under the table. She had to leave! She had to get out of this room before she slipped up. Quickly, she left before Clarence came back. As she hastened her steps, she heard him cry out her name. She scampered up the stairs as fast as her feet could go. When she entered her room, she gasped for breath. Her shaky hands fumbled open her jewelry box. There, inside, was the emerald necklace. The necklace was enchanting. Words couldn’t describe this wonder. Holding it made her calm down. This was the only thing that could keep her in line. One wrong move, and she would be a goner. “Lilith!” he exclaimed.
Clarence kept pounding the door. Knowing him, he wouldn’t stop. Lilith reluctantly let him in. His eyes were almost wild and Lilith grew alarmed. He was nearly in tears as he fiercely embraced her. Without any words, Lilith knew what had happened. She almost felt like laughing. What was she thinking? It was a time for remorse and grief. She closed her eyes and hugged him in return, tears trickling down her cheeks. The call was from Winston, her childhood friend. He was the owner of the Elswood mansion. Not only was he her childhood friend, but also Francisca’s fiancé. That, however, was no longer the case. Lilith and Clarence, both wrapped in each other’s embrace, stood in silence. Sweet Franny dead was not a charming topic to bring about.
Clarence and Lilith drove to Elswood’s mansion. A crowd of people were gathered around the gates of Winston’s home. Immediately, the gates opened as Clarence and Lilith got closer. Once in, they could tell it was more chaotic inside the gates. As Winston was talking to the police, detectives came in and out of his smoldered mansion. Winston’s eyes met with Clarence’s. He shuffled his way and greeted them. In pure honesty, he looked in pain. His hair was disheveled and his eyes weren’t looking so much better. They were bloodshot red from the lack of sleep. After greetings had been used, Winston calmly told them that Franny was murdered. Clarence and Lilith glanced at each other. They knew that their words couldn’t mend what had happened or provide comfort to his heart. Still, Lenora made an effort. Swallowing, Lilith solemnly spoke. She said, “I’m sorry you had to experience this Winnie. She was all dear to us.”
Winston just nodded and turned away. As they watched his body disappear from the mass of people, they decided to head back. This was enough sadness for today. As Clarence made his way to the automobile, he realized that Lenora was missing. The sky was getting darker by the minute. Looking around, he tried to find to make out her face. There was no possible way he would find her. After waiting for what seemed like an eternity, Lilith appeared. Neither of them uttered a word. The only thing on their mind was the devastating event that occurred.
This case was going nowhere. All the clues they had found led to nowhere. There were no actual fingerprints found on Franny. Even if there were, her body was too damaged to find any evidence. Moreover, witnesses saw Winston on the opposite side of town during the time of her death. Lilith was kept in the house the whole time. The maids were not working the day Franny died. No one couldn’t have done it! It was as if the murderer had disappeared in thin air.
The next day wasn’t so much better. In fact, it was the worst kind imaginable. In bold headlines, the newspaper declared Winston the murderer. Evidence was clearly found supporting this outlandish lie. Clarence shook his head in disbelief. Winston was not the type of man to do that.
The more he thought about it, however, the more it made sense. Winston was a fireman and Franny was burned. Winston knew more than enough about fires. He used to specialize in that area before he became a doctor. Not to mention, Franny and Winston’s relationship wasn’t ice creams and sprinkles last time he saw them together. They had yelled at each other frequently. Whether it was Winnie or not, the murderer was clever and dangerous. Clarence uneasily closed the newspaper.
Upstairs, Lilith tossed and turned in her bed. A painful grimace was spread on her face. This time, the nightmare was different. She was chasing someone. Although she couldn’t tell who the victim was, she sensed the woman’s fear. Closer and closer she got. Lilith felt malice deep in her heart. With a firm grip on the lady’s dainty neck, she squeezed. The victim choked and a solid thud hit the floor. The black consumed her. Lilith rose from her unshakable nightmare. No matter how hard she tried, she couldn’t forget the sin she had done. Her clumsy, shaky hands had done a deed that could never be forgiven. These were the hands of a murderer.