Rory and Violet | Teen Ink

Rory and Violet

By RoryVioletBaker SILVER, Covington, Louisiana
RoryVioletBaker SILVER, Covington, Louisiana

"You cool, man?" -dazed and confused

The mid 1970s, the war was over, teenagers weren't drafted, and rock music was booming. Being a teenager in the 70s was a good time for all; driving around, stopping at the local drive in, and listening to music with friends. The 17 year old Rory's teenage years weren't as chilled out and glamorous as most teens back then. Though Rory looked like a normal teen in the 70s, long hair and bell bottoms. Rory wasn't a punk, but the new and upcoming band, Black Flag, inspired him to embrace his differences, and he praised Henry Rollins and his views on anarchy. Rory is constantly haunted by the idea of death and torture, due to his curse, or blessing, of being able to see the dead. Rory has learned to deal with his gift, but most people wouldn't understand what he goes through. Constantly caught "talking to himself", Rory is a neglected, verbally abused outcast. Rory felt as if he didn't fit in anywhere, he wasn't a jock, freak, popular, smart, or particularly funny; he was just the strange boy who talks to himself. His nights were lonely, filled with Led Zeppelin and The Doors, which depressed him because frontman, Jim Morrison, was newly deceased.

Rory had recently moved to Salem, right before his 18th birthday his senior year. Rory didn't mind moving, he thought it would be a fresh start and felt as if a new beginning couldn't hurt. Rory hoped to find a group of people who liked to chill out and listen to Sabbath. Rory had informed his parents of his problem, but he thought that they just ignored it because they said Rory was just coping with having no friends by pretending he can speak with people who aren't really there. What Rory didn't know at the moment was that his parents had the same ability, but his training couldn't start until his 18th birthday. Spirits could find Rory, follow him around everywhere, begging for his help. The spirits believed they Rory could helps them get out of purgatory by finding their murderers, fix their deepest secrets, or just council them through their death. Rory was dealing with his own problems, which he could not explain. Rory was having major changes in his body. Not puberty, but Rory was finding exceptional power in his finger tips and his mind. He was realizing he would hear people say things but their mouths wouldn't move, he was hearing their thoughts. Rory could move his hand over anything and make it move, without touching it. Rory always knew he was different, but he never would have guessed it was a supernatural type of different. He knew his parents would neglect him for trying to convince people of his magic, so he kept it to himself. The date was October 25th, Rory's 18th birthday. Unlike most teenagers, Rory spent his day with his parents going through old photo albums. The time struck 7, and Rory's parents exchanged a fevered glance. Suddenly, Rory's mother moved a book to her hands, without touching it. She levitated it. Rory burst into tears, explaining he could do the same. The parents explained and talked him through what has been happening to his body, and that his training starts the following day. Dazed and confused, Rory broke down, wondering why he had been cursed with such strange abilities and who he can't be normal like others. Rory was told he came from a long line of witches and warlocks, and they moved away from Salem when he was young so Rory could try to adapt to a normal life.

Months passed, and Rory's training was helping him exceptionally. He learned how to cope with the dead and started to become more social in school. At his new school, he met a girl whom he was apparently friends with when he was a toddler. Her name was Violet, and their parents used to be close friends until Rory's family moved. Violet wasn't like most girls. She didn't feel the need to be fake or pretend to be someone she wasn't. She was a hip, hip girl, that Voilet. She didn't need to have material things, or really anything at all other that her Zeppelin records. She felt as if music helped her much throughout her life, and Zeppelin especially spoke to her on a spiritual level. Rory knew in an instant that there would be something special with their friendships, and he knew it wasn't just because she wore band tees which happened to be his favorite bands. He asked her over for dinner that night to reconnect her to his parents. At the dinner table, Violet strikingly moved the salad bowl without touching it. Perplexed on who Violet really was, he started asking thousands of questions. Violet was sorrowful for not telling Rory she was a witch, but she though his parents had already told him of all of the ancient witch families in Salem. Rory and Violet were the closest of friends halfway through their senior year, and did everything together, whether it was watching movies, or giving advice to the dead. One day, Violet took Rory to the cemetery to show him all of the fallen witches and warlocks. Witches live longer than humans, usually 150+ years, but they can be killed by fire. Upon their visit, they experienced a bone chilling feeling and an overwhelming emptiness. Perplexed, the two wanted to leave as soon as possible. Before their escape from the cemetery, the pair were stopped in their tracks by the presence of a spirit so deadly that they couldn't move, as if their feet are glued to the floor. The worst part of this experience was that they could not see the spirit, but they can feel it. All of the sudden, Violet was thrown back onto a grave and instantly knocked out, blood running down the back of her head. Rory, rushing to Violet, was struck in the side, by who knows what. He heard a faint whisper in his ear, "4 months," the voice says. The empty feeling disappeared, and Rory is free to take care of Violet. Instead of going to the hospital, Rory brought Violet's unconscious body to his parents to see if they can preform a healing spell. After this task is done, the parents warned Rory and Violet to not return to the cemetery, for the evil spirit may be trapped there. Scared out of their minds, Rory and Violet practice out of their ancestors spell book, learning new jinxes and spells to help defend themselves in the presence of danger or darkness.

Rory and Violet have also mastered the art of mind control, which causes the two a massive help in school, with work and classmates. Rory and Violet do not abuse their power though, and both of them help each other whenever they take things too far. Their relationship started to evolve from a best friendship, to a sort of deep love. They worked together greatly with everything, and realize they have both been blind to love due to their constant training to fight off the darkness. Violet was different than other girls, obviously due to the fact of being a witch, but also because he was completely selfless; she'd do anything to save or protect Rory. Their love was real, they never used magic on each other, and they did not have the ability of mind control over other witches. Rory and Violet's love grew immensely, their powers became exceptional when they were together.

They had been dating for around three months, which made reality strike in. The man, or thing, they had experienced in huge cemetery had whispered "4 months". They wondered what it would be, but they came to a conclusion that the man would be reappearing when that time came. Practicing and learning every day, Rory and Violet believed that they were ready to take on the dark spirit. On the exact date they were in the cemetery, four months later, Rory and Violet staked out and waited in a room they thought they had protected with spells. Out of no where, the wind blew. Rory and Violet had no explanation of this, due to the fact they that they were in the back of a house, with all doors closed and locked. In a flash, they felt a spirit so strong, they could feel it in their bones. He, or it, was there. He had somehow gotten past the spells, and salt, they had filled the room with. "4 months," they heard. "...4 months," The voice grew louder. All of the sudden Violet is violently dragged by her hair to a bathroom. Rory is desperately holding on to Violet, but the spirit, whom they still couldn't see, is so strong it pulls the both of them. Rory was trying exceptionally to talk to the spirit, to tell him what was going on, why he was doing this to such an innocent girl. In the bathroom, Rory was holding Violet in his arms, trying to calm her down and put pain helping spells on her.

Scared and worried that the presence was still in the bathroom but not making any moves, the two look down to find an immense pile of blood. Instead of breaking down, Rory and Violet check their bodies for cuts and scratches from the spirit. Violet was covered in slashes and cuts that she could not feel due to Rory's painless spell. Bleeding excessively, Rory tried to figure out a healing spell, but in that moment, violets head was jerked back, and a slash was forming on one end of her neck that looked as if the spirit was about to slit her throat and leave her for dead. The two were breaking down crying, Rory rambling on about his love for her her and that everything was going to be okay. In that instant, they saw a flash of light, and the spirit stopped cutting into Violets neck. The spirit let out growls and shrieks of pain, and then all of the noises stopped. Thankfully, Violet's neck gash was extremely minor, since the spirit was interrupted during the process. Rory was covered in his lover's blood from trying to stop the bleeding in her arms. Comforting her and trying to keep her awake and alive, she was struck with a small beam of light. They did not know who of from what it came from, but while Rory held Violet's arm, her cuts began to grow together, healing. Violet exclaimed that she felt as good as new, she felt even more powerful from this light. As they went on a search for this mysterious, helpful being, they saw nothing. This saintly being was no where to be found, but they did find a note on the counter in exceptionally lovely purple handwriting, "For the good witches, I will help; for the dark spirits, I will seize". Perplexed, Rory and Violet cried and fell to the ground. They sat there crying for a long period of time, wondering who this mysterious being is and why it wouldn't show itself to Rory and Violet. Maybe he was a witch hunter or a light spirit send to rid of the darkness, but to this day, Rory and Violet still do not know. The pair married in their late twenties, and had a child. They vowed to start the child's training early, so he can be prepared if anything of the sort happens to him. Rory and Violet are still happily married, still wondering who their savior was.