The Hallway | Teen Ink

The Hallway

The crisp air stung my face as I trudged through the darkness of the snowy night. My blonde hair was blowing in the frosty, roaring wind. The snow beneath my feet had now turned a bright red color as the blood dripped down my legs. I could not scream anymore. My cries were useless in the black dreary wood. All I had left from that night was my locket, my favorite jacket, which has my name stitched “Ann” across my shoulder, and my ripped up stockings. My face was still, but it was not calm. I had to fight for my life that cold, winter night.
*
*
*

The house was warm. The lights were shining a beautiful blend of colors around the fire place. The Christmas tree stood high above everything else in the foyer. The shimmery golden ornaments were arranged perfectly around the silver tinsel. The white walls glistened against the mahogany floor. I was amazed by the site of it. I knew that Maggie had a beautiful home, but now my breath has been taken away. This is the most extravagant house I have ever stepped foot in.

Maggie is my new friend from school. I moved here from Iowa for my mother’s new job. We have now relocated to Rosemount, Minnesota. I have been here for a while now, but Maggie is the very first friend to invite me over to her home. She is a sweet girl, in my sophomore class. She is very intelligent, and very sociable, too. She is tall and has luscious brown hair that seems to go on forever. She is what I wish I could be. She is the sophomore class president in Rosemount High School, and the captain of the junior volleyball team. She gets good grades and is nice to everyone. I know I sound envious, but I am just glad she has chosen me to be her new friend.

“Ann! I am so happy you are here!” Maggie shouted happily as she raced down the long winding staircase. “You are just in time for dinner.”

I smiled at Maggie as she grabbed my arm and dragged me into the very large dining room right next to the foyer. As her eyes twinkled in delight she plopped me down into the chair next to hers.

“You have a very beautiful home, Maggie.” I exclaimed my eyes still wandering in complete awe. The dining room was hung with chandeliers and beautiful paintings across the walls.

“Thank you, my dad takes great pride in his home. He loves to have guests over, especially at this time of the year. Christmas is the most beautiful holiday.” Maggie smiled brightly as she looked around the room, pointing out the divine Christmas decorations.

Quickly, and abruptly the door of the dining room flew open. A tall man in a dark suit and tie appeared in the door, his eyes fixated on me. He was in his near forties. His hair was a dark gray, like the gloomy night sky. His face was stern, with a sense of urgency in the way he rushed in.

“Father, say hello to my friend Ann,” Maggie said cheerfully.

“Hello I am Maggie’s father, George. Welcome to our home. I hope you feel very comfortable here.” Maggie’s father blurted. He looked across the room with a gaze that broke your heart. He seemed very sad.

“It’s a pleasure to meet you! You have the most lovely home I have ever stepped into!” I praised.

Maggie’s father smiled, turned around, and walked straight out of the dining room. He left a very unpleasant feeling in the air. A cold feeling crept up my spine. I could feel the hairs on the back of my neck standing straight up, like ice was poured down my t-shirt.

“Ann, your food is getting cold,” Maggie announced, “is something wrong?”

I looked at her and grinned, “I am sorry I have left my food on the table, I just somehow lost my appetite!” I really did lose my appetite. My stomach felt very uneasy.

“Well let’s find something else to do then, would you like to see the loft?” She questioned me with a big smile. I do not know what the loft is, but it sounds like something I am interested in.

“Yes let’s see it!”

We scurried out of the dining room like little mice, and ran down the long hallway that had so many twists and turns that I knew that I could easily get lost. The hallway was a dark and dim place. There were not many lights and it looked very different from the rest of the house. The rest of the house that I had been in was bright and cheery. This part of the house was dull and grotesque.

“I’m so sorry about this part of my house; it is a big transition from the foyer.” Maggie laughed lightly as she tiptoed down the dim, creaky hallway. She acted as if she had a big surprise to show me. She acted like she had a secret.

The uneasy feeling in my stomach came back to me as we walked through the hallway. All of the doors we closed on each side of the hall. This was the longest hall I have ever encountered in my lifetime. This house was so interesting; I wished I could stay here forever.

That is when I heard the gunshot. It struck my ears as I started running. I ran as fast as I could and I did not stop. My leg throbbed with severe pain. I ran to the door on the left and opened it as fast as I could. The room was empty, and the windows were sealed off. I scampered out of the room. I turned around to see a masked figure a step away from me. It’s body was manly and I noticed the large, dark eyebrows standing up above the mask. The silence was deafening, his breathing was rough. His eyes were like black beads, staring and me. In his right hand was the revolver that pierced my pale skin. He grabbed me as I kicked and screamed with all of my might. I bit at his arms, and tried scratching at his face.

“Maggie! Help me, Maggie. Dear Gawd, Please!” I screamed at the top of my lungs, but Maggie was nowhere to be found. She disappeared in the madness.

He pushed me to the floor and kicked me in the stomach. I gagged and dry heaved until I could not even breathe anymore. My leg was gushing blood at this time. He kicked and kicked at me as the sweat dripped down his forehead onto my skin. I could not let anymore screams out at this point. I was utterly exhausted. My body had reached a point where I was not even feeling the hits anymore. I was on my death bed.

Then, everything stopped. He stopped hurting me. The beating was over and he walked away, leaving me lay in a pool of blood and tears. The dark hallway seemed even blacker after the horrific beating. I can feel my body giving up. My tears are no longer being shed.
*
*
*

I awake to the smell of gasoline and cigarettes. My arms are secured tightly with masking tape as I wiggle around bumping into the enclosed walls around me. I soon realize I am trapped in a trunk of a vehicle. I am in panic mode. I remember everything that had happened, although I am extremely confused on the reason why I am here. I feel the car stop. A loud slamming noise fills my eardrums. A few seconds later the light of the world shines down on me from above. The trunk was opened. I felt the cool air blow on my skin as my wound crashed in a pile of snow. I whimper at the site of my ugly gash. The blood was still oozing out of the deep sore. I see the man hurrying to his car. He opened the door and jumped into the vehicle. I looked at me through the window. I saw his face, I knew it was George. My heart raced at the thought of it. Where is Maggie? Is she hurt, too? The car engine started and he drove away in the bravada. I look around myself and notice the dark woody area lying ahead. I quickly stumble toward it. The crisp air stung my face as I trudged through the darkness of the snowy night. My blonde hair was blowing in the frosty, roaring wind. The snow beneath my feet had now turned a bright red color as the blood dripped down my legs. I could not scream anymore. My cries were useless in the black dreary wood. All I had left from that night was my locket, my favorite jacket, which has my name stitched “Ann” across my shoulder, and my ripped up stockings. My face was still, but it was not calm. My feet were unable to move, and I stumbled into the cold snowy surface.

I started thinking about my mother, as i lay in the deathly cold shadow. I reminisce about her perfume, the smell of daisy and vanilla. I picture her warm hug overwhelming me before I go to sleep at night. I’m lost in thought, thinking about how I wish she could find me here, and bring me home safely to my warm bed.

The snow was falling from the sky at a fast rate. At this point I could not move my thin arms and legs anymore. The snow was compiling onto the body and was eating me up by the minute. My frostbitten skin was tender and raw. I knew I was going towards the light, I knew it was my last breath.

I wrote this story for my English class.