Closer to the Angels | Teen Ink

Closer to the Angels

By Madhu BRONZE, Madurai, Other
Madhu BRONZE, Madurai, Other
1 article 1 photo 0 comments

I’m now standing here and there’s no turning back. This is it. I’m scared but I’m ready to do this on my own. Every happy memory I had was just running in my mind.My heart was thudding that I could even make out it’s beat. The height really frightened me and when I look down , my heart skips a beat . So , I shut my eyes and my mind took me back to those days that I don’t ever want to look back at it again. I was consciously whispering to myself not to think about this.But the thoughts were overpowering. I started thinking about those days in my life which made me feel like I was drowning in a flodding river , screaming for help and nobody’s helping me ,two people surround me , Sadness and lonliness. It brings to mind scenes of weeping and dread. Thinking about those memories , unconsciously my eyes got wet. It paused for a second but still , my mind let the pain fill me. I shut my eyes so hard this time and it started again . Pictures of lament just flashed in my mind. Pushing me in the staircase , throwing volleyballs at me during P.E classes..bulling made my life miserable. I used to come home and cry myself to sleep everyday.No one was ever there for me.That was the worst part. Knowing nobody was there for me , the worst part. I was being called by names.No one wanted to be my friend. My grades were going down , too. I couldn't concentrate on anything.It was growing on me like a deadly disease. I started cutting.No one ever knew that.But luckily , I never had scars. Still , I put on a fake happy face.Behind was a girl screaming , and screaming at the top of her lungs , dying to run away from that place.I felt like running away , yes..Running far,far away to the heavens where angels would take care of people who suffered bullying ,Heal broken hearts….I wish angels would protect every person in my situation.Things started to get worse. People were callous. I couldn’t even share my feelings and thoughts to anyone in this world . My life was bitter than a December. I felt so low about myself and couldn’t bear bullying anymore. I became weak-hearted. I started skipping classes. “ENOUGH! ENOUGH OF THIS!!”, I yelled to myself, my mind. I opened my eyes wide and I could still feel the twinge in my heart. It was pricking my heart like a little thorn got inside and it starts pricking my heart and never gets to come out.

I think I’ve started to freeze or maybe just the thoughts made me so.At this point , I was thinking about my family , my loving family. The love they have for me , how they care for me…everthing about them. I was thinking about my mom , my dad , my sister even though she annoys me. “It’s time” , I said to myself. I made it to the edge and as it was early in the morning , I admired the beautiful sky and the ofcourse , the view of roads from the top was quite admirable. “You’ve picked a really tall building , sweetheart” , I mumbled. I thanked God for creating me , for my life and I apologized to him that I’m going to end it. But still , I was scared. Can I do this? I held the iron rods which were beside me so tight that I was going to break it. It was ice cold. “It is the 23rd floor , what do you expect? The rods to be warm?” , I yelled again to myself. “You have to do it” , I said to myself. My hands were trembling and my heart was pounding. I gently let go of the half-frozen iron rods. “Thank you” , I whispered as completely let go of it. Every beautiful memory I had flashed before me. And then , I felt like I went into a long nap. And when I woke up , I was closer to the angels.

"Closer to the angels" is my everything