I Dreamed a Death | Teen Ink

I Dreamed a Death

I am in my mother's room. In the closet with two people I don't remember. They are trying to convince me to leave, to fight. I am afraid to die. People have gotten into the house, they have guns, we don't. I don't know how many of them are here. I don't want to die. I don't want to be a coward either. We leave the closet. We stay in my mother's room. I don't know what to do. I decide to stay in the safety of the closet, a coward. The two others leave. I hear a door slam shut. They escape. I don't know how I know, they just do. They walk out without anyone noticing. Would I have lived? The closet door is open, just a crack. It floods my face with light. Will I see light again? Or is this little artificial light from my mother's room it? My light disappears. An eye takes its place. The eye is impossibly blue. Bluer than any blue I've ever seen. Does it see me? I freeze.

"Hello." says the person the eye belongs to. He says it sinisterly, like a villain from television. He found the coward in the closet. He grabs my shoulders and pulls me, the coward out. I never see his face. He keeps me turned away from him. I feel the coldness of a gun on my back. How is he holding the gun to me while he holds me still? I know there is only one. Don't ask how. There is only one. I'm not afraid anymore, taking the fear's place is a heaviness in my chest. It's not unpleasant. I know the gun goes off too. I don't hear it, don't feel it, but I know.

Everything is suddenly black. All I can think is,
I'm dead. He killed me. What happens next?
I don't want to die.
My eyes flutter open to the light from the window. I am awake.

A disturbingly realistic dream I had the other night. It really felt like I experienced death.