Mystery | Teen Ink

Mystery

December 16, 2013
By Outcast4God PLATINUM, Farmersville, Texas
Outcast4God PLATINUM, Farmersville, Texas
33 articles 2 photos 53 comments

Favorite Quote:
"When I look at the night sky and see the work of your fingers, the moon and the stars you have set in place-- what mortals that you should think of us. Mere humans that you should care for us.
---Psalms 8:3-4


I lay on my bed, reading a book. Outside my window I hear a small thumping sound, like someone knocking on the window. But it's crazy because it's so late. I return to my book. Minutes later I hear the thumping again. It almost sounds like someone's trying to get the screen off my window.
Jumping of the bed, I run to my mother's room. She's sitting on the bed with her kindle, reading by the lamplight.
"Mom, it sounds like someone is trying to get into my room."
"It's just raccoons!" she laughs. "Listen, they're here too." We're quiet and I can hear the scraping against her french doors. My mother glances at the clock next to her.
"Oh no! I'm late to pick up your sister. I have to go." She jumps up, grabs her shoes out of the closet, picks up her purse and runs to the garage. I follow after her.
"Can I come with you?" I ask, not wanting to be left alone in a dark house.
"No time, I'll be home soon." She said as she drove away. Remembering that the garage light is on a timer, I go inside. No need to be in the dark outside. Once I'm inside, I turn on every light in the house, starting with the kitchen. While I'm in there, I grab a frying pan for safety. My light is still on, so I head to mom's room. I turn on her light, then go for the guest bedroom. Strange thing is, the light is already on. The door is slowly creaking shut, as though someone has just been in there.
I slowly open the door and peer in. On the other side of the room, in a chair tied up and gagged, sits my sister.
"What are you doing here? Mom just went to get you!" As I cross the room towards her the door slams behind me. I stop and here footsteps approach. My sister's eyes are wide with terror. Then... I wake up.


The author's comments:
A dream I had months ago... still freaks me out. Worst part is, I'm writing this at night.