ANOTHER YEAR GONE BAD | Teen Ink

ANOTHER YEAR GONE BAD

December 12, 2013
By ilena espino BRONZE, Stockton, California
ilena espino BRONZE, Stockton, California
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Everything was perfectly fine, until my mother, Alicia, got a phone call from the police. From my room I heard a big “BOOM” as someone or something fell on the floor. As I walked into the living room I saw my mother on the floor with the phone in her hand. As I picked up the phone, I suddenly heard the doorknob jiggle. I checked to see who it was. It is my father coming home from work, and I explained to him what happened. After I explained why my mother was on the floor unconscious, we called the ambulance to come pick my mom up because she still hadn’t woken up. I still wasn’t sure why she was on the floor in the first place. Once we got to the hospital she woke up thirty minutes later crying her eyeballs out! We started comforting her and asked why she was crying, she explained to us that her parents died and the people who killed them were my step-brother and sister, Robert and Linda. After my mother and I stopped crying we left the hospital and went home. Once we got home my mom started cleaning, while she was cleaning she heard my father mumble something under his breaths, my mother stopped cleaning and went and started yelling at my father and how it is his fault that her parents died because they’re his kids. I left the room because I knew what was going to happen, and whenever my parents have arguments my father gets so upset and starts beating either me or my mother, sometimes, both depending on the situation. When I left the room I heard my mom screaming in pain and she started crying. I’m so sick and tired of my father doing this to us, so I called the cops, and once the cops arrived my dad punched the wall and covered my mom’s mouth and tied her into the closet. “You better stay quiet now! I’ll be back” said my father. I run to go help my mother to make sure she’s ok, but I suddenly heard a loud ruckus and I peeked out the door and I saw the police had my father arrested. I shut the door and officer Tillman heard the door shut, so he walks in the room and saw me untie my mother and take the tape of off her face, but I could not take the rope off because it was double knotted, and I thought I had it but then I made it worse. Officer Tillman came towards my mother and I and helped me get the rope off her hand, and while I was doing that my mother told me to go wash my face because it was red and I had dried tears on my face. When I came back from the bathroom, officer Tillman asked us what happened with my mom and dad. I explained to him what happened with them, and he said my father could be in jail for 35 years, maybe for life.

Months passed, and school is going to start soon. After 8th grade I am moving schools… AGAIN. For my 8th grade year I am moving back to my old school that I’ve gone to since pre-k all the way through 5th grade. In the 6th-7th grade I moved to New Jersey High School for their JKC (Justice Knowledge Center). I am nervous and kind of excited to move back to my old school, yet I’m nervous because there is probably a lot of new kids. I really hope my best friend Michael Emilio Fusco did not move schools while I was gone. I am excited because there might be some new girls that I might like but you never know, the rest of the summer passed by and it’s the first day of school tomorrow.

“Mom what are we going to do now that father is in jail?” said Henry.

“I don’t know yet son, but do not worry about it so much, so he is not going to be in your life anymore” replied Alicia.

“What do you mean ‘not going to be in my life’, what are you trying to say?” Henry said with worries.

“Well, while you were gone with your cousin, I went to court and signed some papers that I will get full custody of you. the last time you get to see your dad is tonight, and he is going to take you to dinner, I am going to take you to your aunt Jennifer’s house and your father will pick you up from her house because the police does not want me to be around him anymore, but when you come back from dinner I have some very important news to tell you” Alicia said with serious tone in her voice.

“WHAT. YOU CAN’T DO THAT TO ME!” said henry with anger.

“I do not want him to keep hurting us anymore Henry! You do not understand the pain I was in when he hurt me; you especially do not understand the pain I was in when he hurt you! My baby boy, the one who I love the most. yeah sure, I still love your father, but it kills me inside to know that you got hurt like that, but when I was around your age I use to emotionally cut myself because of boy drama, and once you start you can’t stop, yet I’ve been clean for over 14 years!, I stopped when I was 21,” said Alicia with tears running down her face.

“But you had me when you were 21?” Henry said with confusion.

“Exactly, I stopped cutting when I found out I was having you, and when I had you I was the happiest person in the whole world! You mean the world to me; I love you to the moon and back, so please don’t argue with me and why you can’t see your father anymore, so I made my decision and that’s that,” replied Alicia.
After my mom said that, I realized how horrible I felt having to not make her say that, but to have her tell me what happened to her when she was my age.

It is time for my mom to drop me off at my—quote—Aunt’s house, I’m really nervous because it’s my last time to see my dad and what if things go bad?, what if he tells me I’m adopted or that he’s moving?, AHHH!. I left my house already and I’m in the car with my mom.

“How do you think it’s going to turn out?” said Alicia calmly.

“I don’t know I’m really nervous though” replied henry.

“Why is that?” Alicia answered back, worried.

“Because, what if he tells me something that I don’t want to hear? What if he makes me feel uncomfortable?” Henry said nervously.
“Well, if he does, I want you to call me as soon as possible” said Alicia.

“How am I going to call you, but I don’t have anything to call you with?” Henry said confused.

“Here” Alicia said with a smile on her face while handing me a phone.

“WHAT! Seriously?! Wow thanks mom!” Henry said with excitement.

“Yes, I am trusting you with it, but so far the people on your contacts is only me you can add your friends later when we’re all settled with things” replied Alicia.

“Am I allowed to give dad my number?” Henry said.

“Of course, Henry,” responded Alicia.

“Sweet. thanks mom I love it! Hahaha the IPhone 5c YEAH,” Henry replied with excitement.
“Ok, son, well have fun. Remember the rules” answered Alicia.

“Thanks mom, I Love you” replied Henry.

“I love you too. Don’t take advantage of this! One thing you mess up on or if you start to screw up I’m going to take it away within a heartbeat!” replied Alicia shouting it while he is getting out of the car.
“Alright mom, and trust me I won’t” Shouted Henry as he walks to the steps.

“Be safe love you!” Alicia say’s while driving away.
I walked into the house my aunt gives me a big hug and a kiss. She welcomes me into the house and calls her son Nick. Nick and I were Best friends in kindergarten all the way up to the 5th grade because I moved schools. We never really kept in touch after that. Now that I’m going back to my old school I think our friendship will come back after all. As I’m waiting on the couch for nick to get ready so they can drop me off with my dad, but auntie comes and sits next to me and explains why nick is so droopy. He became droopy after I moved schools. He was said because in the 1st grade he started getting bullied, but if it was not for me to stick up for nick, he would not be the strong man he is now, yet after I moves schools he started getting bullied by the same people on the 1st grade. They thought that since I would not be there anymore there would be nobody to stick up for nick so they started bullying him again and nick had nobody to push him to stay strong and don’t let nobody push him around, nor his mother or his family. They would give him bad advice which would make him get bullied even more than before. After auntie told me that I felt really bad about switching schools on him, but I’m really glad that I am going to go to the same schools as him now.
“Are you ready Henry?” shouted Auntie Monica while going up stairs.
“Yes, I was just waiting on you” replied Henry with laughter.
“Alright come on boys lets go” answered auntie while walking down stairs.
When I open the door I left Aunt Monica go in first, but I stopped and waited for nick to come out of the door, so he comes from out of his room and starts making conversation with me

“Hey Henry, it’s been a while since we’ve talked” said Nick softly.

“I know man, how’s it been?” asked Henry.

“It’s been alright, things kind of started messing up at school again...” Nick said while getting into the car.

“Yeah like what?” Henry said.

“You know those guys in the 1st grade who left schools then came back?” said Nick.

“Sure what about them?” Henry said worriedly.

“Well they came back to the school and they started to bully me again after they found out you had move schools. They thought that ever since you moved that they would be able to pick on me again but then I stuck up for myself one day cause I was tired of them pushing me around” Nick said.

“What did you do to them? Henry questioned.

“I punched the—quote—leader of the pack, and they just stopped bullying me after that” said Nick.

“Well I’m glad you stuck up for yourself, sorry I haven’t been trying to contact you after I moved school” Henry said while feeling bad.

“It’s cool, so what is new?” replied nick.

“Nothing really, but I’m moving schools again” Henry said.

“Really what school?” replied Nick.

“I’m coming back too ALA (Athletic Learning Academy)” Said Henry with a smile on his face.

“Really? So you’re coming back?” Replied Nick excitedly.

“Yep that’s what I just said” Henry said Laughing.

“Alright cool man” Nick said while smiling and laughing.

“We’re here” Said Aunt Monica.

“Okay, thank you auntie, love you!” said Henry.
“Bye, love you too!” Aunt Monica replied.
As I walked up up to the stairs to go into the restaurant, but I turn around and saw nick wave bye, yet as I fully turn around I wave bye back to nick. I walked into the restaurant and see my father sitting in a table of two. As I walk up to the table he stands up and greets me

“Hey Henry!” said henry’s father.

“Hello Dad” replied Henry

“Come sit down son” Henry’s father replied
As I sat down on the chair, we started to have conversations and long conversations ones too

“So how’s it going?” questioned the father.

“Well it’s going, I’m moving back to ALA” answered henry.

“Oh really? For how long? Do you know?” questioned the father

“Until mom takes me out and moves me schools, but till then I’m staying there at the school” replied henry.

“Oh cool, did you like it there?” asked Henry’s father.

“Yeah, I did. That’s how Nick and I became best friends” replied Henry

“Nick, as in your mom’s best friend’s son?” wondered the father

“Yeah him” answered Henry.

“Cool, did you guys still talk when you were at JKC?” asked Henry’s Father

“No not really, I hadn’t talked to him since the last day of school and then we started talking today when mom dropped me of at Aunties house” replied Henry.

“Oh, well at least you guys are still Best friends” said Henry’s father.

“Yeah, that is true” replied Henry.
As we kind of stopped talking for a couple of seconds and the waiter came up to us and took our order. As I was waiting for my father to finish ordering I already knew what I wanted to eat.

“What would you like to eat sir” asked the waiter

“I would like a kobe beef burger with a side of onion rings please” asked Henry.

“And what would you like to drink?” asked the waiter

“I would like to drink a vanilla bean milkshake topped with whipped cream, crushed Oreos, and a cherry on top” replies Henry.

“Is that all for you today sir?” asked the waiter.

“Yes ma’am, Thank you” replied Henry’s father.
While my father and I were waiting for our food we kind of had awkward conversation, so kind of like awkward silence. It stood quiet till our food came. Once our food came we started eating and we started having a conversation about if our food was good or not and it was still like a weird conversation we were having but at least we talked instead of having awkward silence

“Ok are you ready son? I’m going to take you back to your aunt’s house so you can spend some time with Nick and Monica.” said Henry’s dad.

“Ok I’m fine with that” replied Henry.

“Ok then let’s get going then” answered Henry.
Once we got in the car so my dad can take me to Aunt Monica’s house it was still awkward silence I could not have anything to think of to talk to him with but either way I might have replied awkwardly. When we got to my aunt’s house we had a little conversation before I got out of the car

“It was nice seeing you son, but thank you for coming tonight” said Henry’s father.

“It was nice seeing you to dad, I’m going to miss you” Henry said walking out of the car.

“I’m going to miss you too son see you later keep in touch” replied Henry’s father.
Before I shut the door I just remembered mom had just gave me a new phone before she dropped me of at Aunt Monica’s house, so before he drove of I shouted at him telling him to stop and I tell him.

“Dad, wait” said Henry while running towards the door.

“Yes son?” replied Henry’s father.

“I forgot to tell you, before mom dropped me of at Aunt Monica’s house, she gave me a new phone! The IPhone 5c actually” said Henry with a smile on his face.

“Oh really cool, that’s all you wanted to tell me?” asked Henry’s father.

“That and, I wanted to know if you can give me your number and I can give you my number so we can text or something.” Henry said with a smile on his face.

“Of course son! My number is 555-8992” answered Henry’s father.

“Ok my number is 919-9985” replied Henry

“Ok thanks son see you later” responded Henry’s father.

“Bye, I will text you when I get home” said Henry.
After my dad left, I was sad because that is going to be the last time I get to see him, but at least we gave each other our numbers so I can keep in touch with him. When I walked inside Aunt Monica’s house she had all kinds of stuff for us and Nick to do. She had Nick’s play station 3 set up, she had board games set up. She also had snacks and drinks for us to have while we play.

“Well, are you ready to play Henry?” asked Aunt Monica.

“Yeah, let’s go!” Henry said while running to get a play station controller

“What game are we going to play first mom?” asked Nick

“Whatever game you would like to play son, it does not matter I have a surprise for you two boys” Aunt Monica said with a smile on her face while walking up stairs to her room

“I wonder what it is” said Nick.

“I know me to” responded Henry.
After Nick and I were waiting for Aunt Monica to get our surprise we started talking and Nick had asked me how I and my Fathers dinner were.

“So how was the dinner with your father?” asked Nick.

“It was good; there were a couple of moments when it was like awkward silence but other than that. The food was great, I had fun with my dad, and it just sucks that I will not see him for I don’t know how long” answered Henry.

“Yeah I feel you somewhat, I never really grew up with a father, our parents were so close I use to consider your dad as a father to me, but then you moved schools and our parents kind of stopped talking for a while and now you’re moving back which is amazing!, but yeah after my mom gave birth to me she told me that my father had left her cause it wasn’t—quote—ready to have a kid yet, but my mom did not want to give me up so she kept me and now look where we are, in a nice house with a good small family, all my mom and I need are each other, yeah sometimes I do get upset when she goes out with guys but I know they’re not going to last that long and they’re not going to get married, but I worry and make sure they do not hurt my mom or touch her in any way that she feels uncomfortable” said Nick.

“Yeah I get you man, always got to look for your mom always no matter what situation you’re in, I’m soon going to be in the same situation you’re in right now with what’s going on right now” replied Henry.

“Hopefully things don’t go wrong with what you’re trying to do and help your mother” said Nick.

“Yeah thanks man” responded Henry.

“Anytime bro” replied Nick.

“So, are we going to have our same classes together? Or did they change some things?” asked Henry.

“Yeah I think we’re going to have the same classes together nothing really changed, just a lot of new students came from the past years you were gone, a couple of jerks in the school but I do not let them bother me” replied Nick.

“Haha, Thanks for the heads up” said Henry.

“Ok guys ready for your surprise?” asked Aunt Monica

“Yes!” replied Nick and Henry.

“Here it is! The new black ops game I do not know what it’s called but here it is, I just got it yesterday at the store, it took me a while to get it, but I got it, here it is!” said Aunt Monica.

“What! Where did you get it at?” asked Nick.

“You don’t need to know, be happy you got it” replied Aunt Monica.

“Haha thanks Auntie!” said Henry.
As aunt Monica left to the room she received a phone call from my mother’s Friend I seen that as Aunt Monica was having a conversation she looked really worried and scared. She was finished with the phone call and she put her phone down and covered her mouth with her hand while standing there for a second and ran to the door

“Mom what’s wrong?” asked Nick.

“Nothing do not worry about it I will be right back stay with Henry if something happened call me or your Uncles Nick” Aunt Monica said while running to the door very worried. I wonder what that phone call was about. After she left to wherever she was going to, Nick and I did not worry about it because we thought it was not that big of a deal for us, so we continued to play the new game she got us and as we were playing we hear noises coming from the back door. Nick and I hide because it was the door knob jiggling so we got worried and ran upstairs to his room and we hear voices coming from down stairs and turns out it we were getting robbed, I gave nick my phone and Nick called his uncle Raymond. After Nick called his Uncle we called the Police and they arrived and arrested the guys, the men who were robbing our house did not know that we’re in the house and they were very angry at us but they’re in jail so they cannot get us. Nick’s uncle Raymond came in and round us on the couch sitting waiting for him, he called my mom and told her what happened, she told Nick’s uncle to take us to where she was located at. When we arrived at the place, it was the Hospital she was at uncle dropped us of and we had to wait in the waiting room and me and nick were worried about who was in the hospital was it someone in Nick’s family? Was it Nick’s mom’s friend? We saw Aunt Monica come towards us crying so much it was bad.

“Mom are you ok?” Nick asked while hugging her.
“No, something really terrible just happened” Aunt Monica said while crying her eyes out.

“What happened Auntie?” asked Henry.
After I asked that Aunt Monica looked up at me and came up to me while putting her hands on my shoulders and saying

“I’m so sorry Henry but” Aunt Monica said.

“Please don’t tell me it was my mom” Henry said while he cut of Aunt Monica.

“Yes, I’m so sorry Henry” Aunt Monica said while crying even more than she was before.

“WHAT! NO THIS CAN’T BE HAPPENING!” Henry said while stepping back from Aunt Monica while Screaming and crying.

“I’m sorry Henry it wasn’t her fault” said Aunt Monica while continuously crying.

“Why, what happened?!” Henry said while crying.

“She was driving home from visiting her friend and a drunken man was driving and crashed into your mom on the freeway, she was badly injured and she lost a lot of blood and she passed” replied Aunt Monica.
After aunt Monica told me that I ran to my house all the way on the other side of town and started emotionally cutting my left wrist. I was on the bathroom floor with a knife in my hand crying, I hear someone coming towards the bathroom and Aunt Monica come in the bathroom crying more cause she saw what I have done to myself and she runs on the floor towards me and grabs my arms

“HENRY NO STOP YOU CAN’T DO THIS TO YOURSELF!” Aunt Monica says while screaming in sadness

“WHY NOT MY MOM DID IT TO HERSELF WHEN SHE WAS MY AGE IT MIGHT AS WELL BE OK WHEN I DO IT!” Henry shouted to Aunt Monica.
After we had the short conversation I ended it for good and put the knife in my chest--