The mall on Devils Street | Teen Ink

The mall on Devils Street

By Daniella Hunt BRONZE, Lemont, Illinois
Daniella Hunt BRONZE, Lemont, Illinois

It was a gloomy day all dark and gray the sun covered in a thick blanket of clouds. Three girls Jenny, Stacy, and Connie all pull into the mall parking lot at once. When stepping out of their fancy and glamorous cars you hear Jenny and Connie yell “YUCK” they stepped in a cloudy puddle of gooey muck. It got all over their shoes, and even their pants. Jenny and Connie scream loudly in anger! Soon as their fit was over Jenny, and Connie snap sharply “let’s go in now”. Stacy follows them into the mall smiling trying not to laugh at what just happened. The girls enter the mall they push everyone in their path aside. As they keep walking Stacy suddenly falls and accidently knocks over a cart of nicely arranged shoes. Stacy gets up giggling “oops”. Connie and Jenny turn around and giggle softly “nice one Stace”! As the three girls head up to the second level of the mall something happens. Stacy is minding her own business and gets pelleted in the head with 30 spit balls. Stacy screams “EWWW NOOO MY HAIR AHHH” everyone around is laughing. Connie and Jenny rush Stacy into the bathroom for some MAJOR help. Stacy was now in the bathroom crying her eyes out “my father paid $200 for my hair to be done”. Connie trying to be the good friend that cheers people up says “chill why don’t we go bother people huh”? Stacy sighs “fine let’s go I’ve got some anger to blow”.
Now the three girls have made their way over to the food court there Jenny goes up to the nerdy kid who works at the Subway station and snaps “my friend is in a bad mood k? You understand?” “Yes” he whispers “Good so here’s the deal, you’re going to make my friend sandwiches, and they better be done in 5 minutes.” Is that clear?” The boy quickly made all the sandwiches and brought them over to the girls. He quickly ran away so that the girls couldn’t say anything else to him, he closed the Subway and went home.
After the girls demolish the sandwiches they walk to the third floor of the mall. They were all VERY full and needed to let’s just burn some calories. All three girls run around the third floor tripping people making them fall on the floor and taking parent’s purses and throwing them over the railing. Stacy was dying of laughter from what Connie did she took a soda from a teenage boy and dumped it on his girlfriend. Connie then told the boy to forget about her and he could come “party” with us.
“He snapped are you crazy?”
“What are you talking about?”
“Don’t you like me?”
“In your dreams Connie…”
Connie screams “AHH WHY ME?” Connie runs into one of the stores and has a total fit she throws clothes all over the floor she goes into the changing room area and slams all the doors so they make a loud BOOM when the door hits the wall. When Connie comes back to the front of the store she realizes that no one is in the store anymore, and her friends aren’t around to comfort her. Connie soon starts to cry and slides to the floor “this only happens to me” “why does no one like me?” Soon her friends come into the store and they snap “let’s go Connie we got a bunch of nerds of level five.”
The girls walk in their natural form up to level five. They soon pause to see what they are dealing with. The girls laugh they walk slowly towards the nerds. The nerds don’t bother to show any of the slightest interest in any of the girls as they walk by. So they stop!
“So what are you guys doing?”
They nerds kindly stare, and look away acting like they said nothing.
Connie snaps “I SAID WHAT ARE YOU GUYS DOING?”
The boys were startled by her yelling and run away out of site.
Connie sighs “that’s better.”
As it got later and later in the day the mall was going to close soon. Stacy and Jenny wanted to go to one last store before they left for the night. The girls walk into Forever 21 they find the shirt that they want and go to the changing room to try the shirt on. As soon as their changing room door shuts the power goes out. Jenny SCREAMS “what just happened?”” Don’t worry” Stacy says “I’ve got a flashlight on my phone, let me turn it on then we can walk to the front of the store.” They all slowly walk to the front of the store. Jenny’s phone suddenly dies when the girls are about to reach the door “Oh great” Connie yelps! Jenny touches the door and to only realizes that her hand is wet, and something’s dripping on her. The lights suddenly flash on and before their eyes they see red slim covering the door, Jenny checks her hands to see the same red drippy stuff on her hand. Jenny screams in fear “IVE GOT BLOOD ON MY HANDS!!!” The girls try anxiously to get out of the store but the door is locked, and neither of the girls are strong enough, nor smart enough to break through a simple glass door. Jenny being the leader of the group runs to the front counter, and there she sees a note one that caught her eye. The note was bright pink and green with little axes as stickers, and a skull sticker for a stamp. When jenny opened up the note it was in little kiddy type of text one from like you know a children’s story. The note read: Once upon a time there were three snotty little brats. Their hair flowed in the rhythm in the wind, and they got whatever they wanted. But soon the girls would be gone forever without anyone knowing THE END. When jenny was done looking at the note she slowly backed away from the counter not making a noise. Jenny shows Connie and Stacy to see what their reactions would be well Connie and Stacy had the same reaction, their reaction was to cry.
“Why us? I mean were kind gentle girls let us out please” Stacy cries
Soon the intercom turns on first all you hear is a loud BOOM the boom frightens the girls so they all run to the back of the store.
Connie jokes “If I’m going to die, I’m not dying first okay.”
Then on the intercom you could hear whispers they were calling out the girls personally by name “Connie” “Stacy” “Jenny”
Stacy being the baby of the group cries “how does he know our names?”
Connie questions “Stacy how do you know it’s a he?”
“Just forget about it”
Soon the girls hear the latch of the door open from the outside they freeze and be as quiet as they can, even if that means that Connie and Jenny have to hold Stacy’s mouth shut. The door shuts and they do not hear the door lock the girls sprint to the door open it up to only realize that the whole mall has lost power, and there was no way that the girls could make it out alive in the pitch black dark. Suddenly Jenny trips over a medium size pile of bricks and breaks her foot. Stacy and Connie run and pick her up and push her to the corner “stay there” Stacy says while running away. As Stacy is turning away from Jenny something hits her hard in the head “OUCH.” When Stacy gets up she feels what the item is and figures out that it is a big book something like a dictionary but too big to be a dictionary something even bigger!
“How is this supposed to help me?” Stacy thinks...
“Connie come here” Stacy yells!
“Do you think that the bricks and the note and now this big book could be clues or something, I mean if this person wanted to kill us wouldn’t they have done it by now? Don’t you think I mean I’m not the brightest but I think whoever this is they are willing to hurt us like he did to Jenny but I mean it seems like he doesn’t want to kill us I’m not sure but what do you think Connie?”
Suddenly the intercom comes on once again.
“Very good finally you can figure something out”
The intercom goes off and Connie and Stacy look at each other, they call over to Jenny “hey jenny did that voice sound different from the last voice that was talking?”
Jenny shouts “I guess a little bit I wasn’t really paying attention”
Once again the intercom comes on this time it’s a girl.
“Go to the end of the hall for your next clue NOW”
This time when Stacy and Connie reach the end of the hall it’s a box medium size its very heavy. Connie sits down and opens the top of the box “Stacy what is all of this?” The box contained items like necklaces and rings to even journals and glasses. “What do these mean” Soon one store light turns on! Stacy and Connie run into the store with the box and the big book to see what the clues could mean. When the girls get into the store after telling Jenny where they were going because they didn’t want Jenny to worry or get up from her spot because of her leg. When Connie is flipping through the book she soon recognizes what is in the book. In the book are all the notes from the girls gossiping about all the people. Connie’s mouth drops “How could someone have gotten these notes, some of these notes are over 3 years old.” “We even threw away most of these in the trash.” Meanwhile Stacy is looking at the items in the box she soon realizes what all these pieces mean to them all as well. These are all the items that the girls had stolen from other people and told them to fix what they looked like or to give it to them because they deserved it more than that person did.
“How could they have gotten all these pieces back?”
“We all split these in half to see who got what” “All this stuff was in our bedrooms how did it get here?”
“Whatever” Connie snaps “we should probably go and check on Jenny because she hasn’t said anything in a while, and I feel bad just leaving her in the corner while we leave her clueless.”
So Connie and Stacy pack everything up and make their way to the end of the hallway to see Jenny, and see if her foot is okay. They walked slowly down to the hall and couldn’t feel anyone in the corner where they left Jenny.
“Are you sure we left her in this corner? I thought it was the other corner.”
Connie and Stacy somewhat run over to the other side of the hallway and Jenny was there!
“Hey Jen sorry we forgot where you were.”

“Jenny?”

“Jenny are you okay?”
The girls soon fix their eyes to the lights that turn on in a flash when their eyes adjust they soon see a knife right in her stomach Jenny had been stabbed.
Stacy screams “NOO WHY HER WHYYY”
Connie on the other had was just standing there on the side not saying a thing not looking anywhere just straight down at Jenny. Connie turned around and to her surprise saw a whole crowd of people behind her Jenny, and Stacy. When Connie took a closer look she was surprised to see some of the people she did. Connie realized this is everyone that her and her two friends bullied or these are the people whose lives were ruined because of them.
“Now you know what it feels like huh?” A man steps out of the crowd
“How it feels to loose someone, even your best friend”
“Is this what we have to do to finally get your attention?”
Connie and Stacy wake up at the same time sweating crazily breathing hardly and shaking. They look at each other oddly “did you have the same dream I had?” “Yeah I think so that’s really weird....” Connie says “well on the bright side it was only a dream, but I really think we should treat people with more respect, and change our attitude, because I don’t what that dream to ever happen in real life!” Stacy nods in agreement “yes for sure!”
“Alright we should probably go call Jenny and tell her our plan don’t you think so Stacy?”
The girls walk to the phone and call Jenny’s home phone Jenny’s parents answer the phone terribly upset.
Connie says softy “Hello is Jenny there it’s Connie”
Her mother replies “I’m sorry but jenny is missing and we don’t know where she is.”
Connie drops the phone on the floor and rushes to tell Stacy the terrible news.
Where is jenny?