Frozen Forest | Teen Ink

Frozen Forest

By KimiChick SILVER, Langhorne, Pennsylvania
KimiChick SILVER, Langhorne, Pennsylvania
8 articles 1 photo 1 comment

“This is the coldest Halloween I’ve ever experienced,” I complained. The wind sent chills down my spine as I walked over the crisp white snow. The friends that I was trick-or-treating with were trembling with shivers as we made our way toward the woods. We decided to take a shortcut home because my fingers and nose were numb and turning into an unpleasant color of violet. As the forest grew closer, I grew colder.

The trees blocked what little light was coming from the moon, making the air was as black and thick as ink. The ground was scattered with leaves and fallen branches due to the recent storm. We walked in eerie silence. As it was bound to happen, I tripped and fell. I made no noise or cry for help, since I was already seen as weak and clumsy. I did not need any more pity or embarrassment.
I tried to hold on to anything, psychological or physical. I must have taken a hard fall and hit my head. Even though I was fading in and out of consciousness, I could tell none of my friends noticed or cared that I was not with them. Nobody came to help. I found a small amount of energy left, just enough to reach up and touch my head. As I expected, there was a gash. Blood poured out of my body and on to the frozen ground. I could hardly breathe. Pushing myself off the ground, I gasped for air. That single breath cleared my head enough to be able to hear a noise from behind me.
I froze, not knowing what to do. Adrenaline rushing through my veins, I leapt off the ground and on to my feet. I glanced around for the source of the sound, but unable to find one for the pitch-black darkness of the forest. The sound came again, this time from near my right. It sounded like a growl of a dog or roar of a bear. I did the only sensible thing, I ran. With my arms stretched out in front of me to avoid trees, I made my way away from the source of the sound.
I heard it coming after me, heavy footfalls coming my way. The thing, whatever it was, was as massive as a mountain. It was definitely much larger than I. I quickly contemplated what the creature could be. A bear? A monster? A werewolf? It was Halloween, it could be anything.
Both of our breaths came in short, quick pants as we ran, as it ran after me. I was getting hit by low hanging branches and sharp briers. My costume was in tatters, but I didn’t care, I needed to escape. Suddenly, I could see a faint light just to the left of my current route. I immediately changed course. I was filled with a new sense of hope.
Bam! My faith was crushed as I ran straight into a tree. I lay nearly unconscious on the ground for the second time that night. The presence of my pursuer was suddenly apparent. I opened my eyes for the last time, but it was too late. My one last breath came and went.