Whispers of the Dead | Teen Ink

Whispers of the Dead

November 8, 2013
By S_Dizzy BRONZE, Las Vegas, Nevada
S_Dizzy BRONZE, Las Vegas, Nevada
4 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
"I Mean I Guess" "Something Like That" , " Hard Work Beats Talent When Talent Doesn't Work Hard "


When I opened my eyes, I realized the snow. White milky snow everywhere. Cars cloaked in snow, houses dripped snow as if the house was sweating. Wind swirls slipped past my eyes. I could hear the wind, as if it was sending me a message. A message that could change my everyday life. Whipping snow from the window of my favorite store, foot locker, I see myself clearly. I saw a sensitive girl with huge hazel eyes. The deeper you looked, the deeper the story got. Lost in thought, the remaining of my friends and family come rushing towards me. I feel a slight tug on my arm and a voice whispers, “They’re coming, we must go!” Those words slid off my ear like oil on a greasy pizza. Sluggish but motivating, breath taking, bloody, lifeless zombies comes rushing after us. This was the beginning of it all.

3 Hours Earlier
December 15, 2016
11:35 p.m.

The wind blowing fiercely as a snowflake falls from the sky. The big beautiful moon sits so high, slightly under a fluffy cloud. The Night was quiet and the snow storm was about to begin. Me, just standing there, 5 feet 7 inches, just a little over 115 pounds. My braids begin to run with the wind. The reflection of the moon bounced off of my brown complexion. My body covered in a Hollister sweat suit tucked into my pink boots. Swaying from side to side, the wind picked up. My mother told me this day will come before she left to Tallahassee, and today was that day. I closed my eyes tight, trying to reach a better place, a place that was unreachable at this time. I knew what I had to do and that was to fight to get to the other side.

Trampling over each other, not turning back to check if they were still after us. My mind went blank, my heart began to race, and my vision became slightly shaky. The city was really vacant with blood baths at every corner. There was no point for us to call for help; it might have attracted more zombies. After running for a good thirty minutes we found a safe place. Well for now it was.., Breathless, speechless, and befuddled we all sat there. Me, my best friends, and my boyfriend. “Shawniee.” “Shawniee…” I hear a voice calling me, the voice smacked against my left cheek. Inside of my wonderland, my brain took a trip. A trip to the unforgettable, something worth living for. The voice called my name again. I came back into reality. “Yes?” I slowly replied. I finally realized who it was. It was my boyfriend, Theodore. We have been together for a year now and are still standing strong. “Are you ok?” he questioned. “I am but we have to keep moving.” It’s 3:35 a.m. now. I check to see if I see any of the creeper crawlers around. “I don’t see any, we must move now.” I whispered back to them. The five of us gather our stuff and begin to take off. Snakes in a desert, a chameleon on a branch, a bat in the night, we snuck around the town. Doing everything so quietly made me feel like a ninja. We have been walking for several hours. My vision gets heavy but, I fight to keep them open. My legs give out and I try to open my stride to keep me up, it failed. My legs fell from under me and I collapse…
30 minutes later…

I became conscious again, but I’m not in the same place. I jump up immediately, shivers jump down my back. I see no one and I realize in in an abandoned hospital. Franticly, I go searching for my friends. I look at my watch and it now says ‘9:05’ but there is no light in sight; the sun is nowhere to be found. I run into the hallway, hoping to find a living soul. There was no one there. “Keep calm Shawniee, KEEP CALM!” I screamed to myself. Running back into the room, I fish for my weapons. I forced myself into the bathroom and the door gets jammed. Panicking, I hear the room door open. Silently a voice whispers, “We have to find her, we must get going.” The voices sound familiar as if it was my boyfriend Theodore and his friend Derris, I bang on the door, hoping they heard me. Screaming and shouting, they bust through the door. “Are you alright?!” Theodore asked. Before I could fix my lips to reply, he cut me off. “They are coming, we aren’t safe, and we can’t stay here!” Running grabbing everything in sight, we rush out the hospital before we come in contact with any unwanted company. I pulled out my phone praying to have some signal. Pushing to many buttons at once I manage to dial my mom’s number. ‘Ring ring ring ring’ no one answers… Getting to a safer spot we slow down. “Let’s split up and search for a car.” said Tammy. “Okay, me and Theodore, and you, Derris, and Tay.” “We will meet back up here in ten minutes NO LONGER” I demanded. We all take off. As me and Theodore are walking and talking, we hear a shriek. We ran back to the meeting spot immediately. Everyone came back except Tammy. She was bitten by a legless zombie…

We found a car and began to move closer to our destination. It was a sileny drive. No one spoke. I turned on the radio to see if anything was broadcasting. A station came on. “Attention all people out there.” *static interferes* “Do NOT come this way!” *screams* “It is not safe, I repeat not safe!” *zombie groaning’s* “Tallahassee is nowhere to come, no one is alive!” 8radio makes loud emergency alert noise* I shut the radio off. I think to myself, ‘Tallahassee, that’s where my mom and dad are!’ “ OH NO “