7 Days | Teen Ink

7 Days

By sarahsmiled BRONZE, Las Vegas, Nevada
sarahsmiled BRONZE, Las Vegas, Nevada

My name is Susana Adams and my dreams predict the future. Some people can talk to ghosts, others can move objects with their minds, and then there’s me with the creepy psychic abilities. The only people who know about my abilities are my grandma, who I call Grams, and my best friend Noah. Grams also possesses strange abilities but she has the cool kind. She can talk to the dead. That comes in handy since both my parents and grandpa died when I was younger.

“Something bad is going to happen in seven days,” I cautiously tell Grams at the dinner table, “I had a dream and I believe it’s about the end of the world. I’m terrified right now.”

“Now what exactly did you dream child?” Grams asked with a calm look on her face.

“I’m being serious,” I started, “There was a man with a burnt face and he was standing outside our house. He was wearing a suit and a top hat. He kept repeating ‘Seven days. Seven days, seven days, seven days,’ and he gave me the saddest look.”

Grams takes my hands. “What else did he say?”

“That’s it. I woke up,” I replied, finishing my story.

Grams lets go of my hands. “The world is not ending in seven days, Susana. That dream means nothing!”

She gets up from the table and goes to her room.

“This is not a joke Grams!” I yell at an attempt to get her to believe me. I quickly run up to my room and cry.
6 more days

The next day I call my best friend Noah and we meet up at our local coffee shop.

“I had another dream Noah,” I whisper.
He takes a bite out of his doughnut. “Is this about the end of the world junk? Because Grams called me and told me not to listen to your lies.” He reaches over and takes a sip of my coffee.

“Oh my God, why would she do that?” I almost yell, “This is real Noah. My dreams have always come true. What makes this one any different?”

“Go on,” he simply replies.

“Like I was saying, I had another dream. This time, the guy with the top hat and burnt face comes inside my house. He gives me a picture of the world in flames. On the back it says the words ’six days’. We only have six days! I don’t know if I can stop this.” I lay my head on the table in frustration.

“I believe you Susie,” he replies with full sincerity, “and I’m trying not to freak out. But do you really think we can change something that’s meant to happen?”

“I have to try,” I say as I sit back up, “And you have to help me.”

“I know I do,” he replies.
5 more days

We’re in my living room now. The guy with the top hat and burnt face is looking through my only family album. I know I’m dreaming but I don’t want to wake up. I want to know more.

“Why do you only have one photography album?” the old man with the top hat asks me. “Should not a teenage girl like you have tons of albums? Especially with technology nowadays, I suppose you take lots of pictures.”

“Well my parents and grandpa died when I was very little. I’m not sure about the details since my grandma never wants to talk about it. I don’t really have any pictures with my family so what’s the point? I don’t even have a picture with my grandpa. My Grams couldn’t handle the pain I guess so she threw them all away.”

“Five more days Susana,” he said with the same sad look he had in my first dream. “It’s time for you to wake up now.”

“Wait! No! I’m not ready to wake up!” I plead, begging for him to stay. “I need to know what I can do to save the Earth!”

“That is not your problem Susana,” he says as he’s about to walk out of my house.

“Can you at least tell me your name?” I beg, clinging on to any information.

He stops at the door at looks at me, “Peter Adams.”

I wake up in a pool of sweat. I quickly look for my phone and call Noah.

“Meet me at the library,” I say as fast as I can get the words out, “No time to explain, just meet me there now!”

I hang up the phone and run to the public library. Once I got there, I see Noah sitting at a computer.

“Another dream?” he asks.

“Yeah and I got a name this time,” I said, sitting next to him at the computer, “Peter Adams.”

“Adams?” he questions, with a concerned look on his face, “Your last name is Adams.”

“Yeah I know but that doesn’t mean anything,” I stammered, hoping he would think the same. “It’s a pretty common last name.”

Noah stares at me with a look that reads, “I know you’re not that dumb”.

“Let’s just look it up and see what we get,” he finally says.

We search up the name ‘Peter Adams’ with a couple of results.

I point to the first link, “Click on that one.”

It’s a news article with the title ‘Family Dies in a Fire’. At the bottom of the article is a picture of the owner of the house. It’s an old man with a suit and a top hat.

“That’s him,” I whisper, “That’s the man from my dreams.”
4 more days

I spend the next day in the attic, looking for any family albums or pictures I could find. I find a wooden box in the corner of the room. I open it and find family pictures that I had never seen before. I smile as I see pictures of my mom and dad. At the bottom of the pile is one more picture. I turn it over and immediately scream when I see it. I can hear Grams running up to the attic.

“Susana… what’s wrong?” she asks with a worried look on her face.

I’m hysterical at this point. I can’t stop crying long enough to answer her question. I suddenly feel lightheaded and fall to the ground.

I wake up in a hospital bed. Grams and Noah are both by my side.

“How long have I been asleep?” I ask.

“It’s been 3 days Susana,” Grams speaks up.

“Peter Adams,” I croaked, “He’s my grandfather, isn’t he? In the picture I saw in the attic, he had his arms around you. And my parents were holding me right next to him.”

“I’m sorry you had to find out this way,” my grandma starts to cry. “I’m so sorry.”
1 more day

I’m dreaming again but this time with my parents.

“I’m so sorry about all this,” my mom tells me, taking my long hair to braid it. “I never wanted to put you through this.”

I wake up in my own bed. I was released from the hospital yesterday and was told to take it easy. Noah is lying on the floor in the corner of my room. Turns out he’s been there all night just in case something happened to me.

“Thank you,” I begin to say, “Thank you for everything.”

“Anything for you Susana,” Noah simply replies.
0 days left

“Today’s the day Grams. It’s the end of the word,” I tell my grandma at the dinner table.

She stares at me, giving me the same sad look that my grandfather gave me in my previous dreams.

“It is not the end of the world child,” she finally responds. “It is the end of your life.”

Before I have time to respond, the smell of smoke fills the air and enters my nose. Fire surrounds the whole kitchen. I try to run but the living room is also filled with fire. Smoke fills my lungs and I know it is too late. I collapse on the floor and die.

I open my eyes and see my whole family surrounding me.

“We’re all together again,” my dad says as he and my mom embrace me in a tight hug.

I smile. It’s funny how things turn out.

The End.

on Nov. 8 2013 at 5:50 pm
Myth-of-Youth SILVER, Las Vegas, Nevada

Elizabeth Swann: There will come a moment when you will have a chance to show it. To do the right thing.
Captain Jack Sparrow: I love those moments. I like to wave at them as they pass by.
-Pirates of the Caribbean, Dead Man's Chest

Loved it <3