The Letter (PART 1) | Teen Ink

The Letter (PART 1)

October 1, 2013
By Smpowers13 SILVER, Lock Haven, Pennsylvania
Smpowers13 SILVER, Lock Haven, Pennsylvania
8 articles 0 photos 6 comments

Favorite Quote:
“I believe in everything until it's disproved. So I believe in fairies, the myths, dragons. It all exists, even if it's in your mind. Who's to say that dreams and nightmares aren't as real as the here and now?”
― John Lennon


This is it. I have to do it. I can’t keep putting it off. I have to be honest. I, Erieanna, was the only one who really knew what happened to Kaitlyn that night. If I don’t tell anyone, it’ll be my fault, my fault she died, my fault she was killed. I need to stop hesitating. I need to send that letter!


Febuary 4, 1962, Kaitlyn was playing with my grandmother’s dog during a chilly winter morning. I, Erieanna, was sitting out in the woods in a tree listening to the fierce winter wind. As joyful as it was, I was cold. “Swoosh,” went the wind, and I immediately heard a scream. Out of nowhere, I heard the crisp of the leaves crunch very rapidly as the sound came towards me. All of a sudden, it had stopped. I was hesitating to look as I was nervous.

As sundown came, I realized something was different. I felt alone, very alone. Almost like if time had flown by. I jumped from the tree and gasped in amazement. Grandma was sitting on a rock crying with Kaitlyn in her arms.

“Gr- Grandma, what, why…” I started to cry.

At that moment, time stood still. The scream had to have been Kaitlyn’s.

Febuary 4, 1961, exactly a year before the death, I was sitting in the same tree, but Kaitlyn wasn’t there. Out in the distance was a cool winter breeze, and even farther out was a man. A man in a big black coat, like he was trying to hide himself. All I heard was “I’ll be back…” and he gave me a smirk and disappeared.


The author's comments:
This is the beginning to my own series, The Letter. I started writing this in class at school and I fell in love with the idea of writing a series, so here it is!