Transplant - Part 2 | Teen Ink

Transplant - Part 2

By Annabel-Lee SILVER, New Ulm, Minnesota
Annabel-Lee SILVER, New Ulm, Minnesota

"Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there wondering, fearing,
Doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before."

“What do we got?” asked Anthony when he walked into the office. Their were people everywhere. Scurrying back and forth, flinging papers, chugging coffee. What is going on he thought.

“Eh Boss! So far, there are four women missin’ from Brooklyn, all twenty-five, same height and weight. Get this Boss, they all share the same blood type.”

“What? Who found out about the blood type link?” Anthony asked. His head was pounding.

“Johnson did Boss. The Kid was tryin’ to figure out why someone would kidnap these women.”

“Huh, where were they last seen?”

“All of them were kidnapped from their homes. No one saw or heard anythin’. Either their work called it in or the boyfriend.”

“Suspects so far?”

“None, the first girl was single, the second and the third had boyfriends, both of their alibis checked out. The fourth, Georgia Thompson, her mother reported her missin’.”

“So basically, we have nothing,” Anthony said rubbing his eyes. He walked over to the coffee and poured himself a cup. He didn’t bother with cream or sugar.

“Well, I wouldn’t say that. Before I called, I had Johnson and Rudy figure out as much as possible as quick as they could. They discovered that around the same time that each victim was kidnapped, a hospital within miles of each of their homes reported missin’ medical supplies. We figured it was too much of coincidence not to be related.”

“So what, some whack-job is kidnapping women and medical supplies, and then what?” Anthony asked finishing his coffee.

“Easy on the coffee there Anthony, “ Johnson chimed from across the room.

***

When Georgia woke up she was in a dark room, strapped down to a medical table. She was cold and in extreme pain. It felt like someone had repeatedly kicked her in the lower back. She heard something rustling, and then the lights flickered on. She looked around, and noticed two rows of people in the same situation as her, strapped down. She realized she was in a hospital gown and had an IV in her left hand. She started to breathe heavily where am I she thought? Five minutes later, but what seemed like hours later, a voice came over the intercom.

“I want to thank each and every one of you for what you have done for us. You have provided us with the tools to save others. I regret to inform you, but you will never leave this room. But, don’t be scared. What you have done will forever be remembered.”

And then the voice was gone. As first, the room was silent all you could hear was the hushed beeping from the monitors. After what the man had said had sunk in, she heard a burst of panicked screaming and crying. The last thing Georgia remembers was the words “Oh, God” escaping from her mouth.

Second part in the Transplant series