Flourishing In Purgatory | Teen Ink

Flourishing In Purgatory

By Nishat PLATINUM, New York, New York
Nishat PLATINUM, New York, New York

We lead our lives like water flowing down a hill, going more or less in one direction until we splash into something that forces us to find a new course.

My world shattered the moment I opened my eyes. It tilted at an odd angle until all that composed it was rearranged. And when my world shifted to its former position it was no longer the right one, the suitable one. It was altogether different. Or… perhaps I was different, evolved somehow.

It was the piercing sunlight that forced me to open my eyes. And when I did all I saw was an all-consuming black circle, it blinded me and I struggled to sit up. I realized that I was in a clearing and that the all-consuming black circle had been the sun. It was directly above me, beating down on me with its ultraviolet death rays.

I looked around, survival instincts kicking in. I was alone in an unknown land with nothing to defend myself with. The clearing was a perfect circle, healthy green trees bordering it. The grass upon which I sat was vibrant, each individual blade a unique shade of green. It was a clearing in which one would expect to find a deer grazing or Snow White singing with blue jays and bunnies trailing after her.

There was no immediate threat but still my body was tense, my joints stiff. My eyes, I felt were big, my obsidian iris’s wild looking. I realized suddenly that my body had gone into a crouch during my evaluation of the clearing. Frowning, I forced myself to relax and inspected my body. Superficially nothing looked damaged. I got up clumsily, feeling as though my legs were constricted somehow.

All of a sudden the ground shuddered and the air filled with an odd noise. It sounded almost like a tank, a war tank. The earth continued to tremble as a new sound joined the fray. BOOM, BOOM, BOOM.

I swirled to the east side of the clearing. The durable trees had begun to fall with loud bangs, as the cause of the cacophony made its way to me.

Instinct took over and I ran as fast as I could away from the monstrosity, toward the west. The earth refused to aid in my escape. The ground continued to quiver as I tried to avoid tripping over logs and getting through the thick vegetation.

The noise grew louder as it drew closer to me. I pleaded with my legs to take me faster and pumped my arms to accelerate. My lungs caught on fire, unable to keep up with my reckless speed; my breaths were little more than pants. All irrelevant thoughts fell away from my mind. I focused solely on escaping the route of the noise.

I was so far gone that I didn’t even realize when I no long felt the rocky ground underneath my feet. When I did, the realization hit too late and I was filled with the sensation of falling. The wind hit me and whipped my long dark hair around. My limbs flailed for something solid even though I knew the effort was futile.

Icy water crashed around me as I made impact with the ocean. I didn't fight it. I let the water consume me, dragging me deeper into the heart of the ocean. I had nothing to fight for- no memories nor loved ones.

It was peaceful down here. The sunlight streamed through the water, casting a glow to everything. My hair floated above me and around me. As I sank down, water began to fill my lungs. Suddenly my senses lit on fire as though someone had ignited every cell in my body. It was an unpleasant feeling. The fire consumed me until my mind drifted away. My last thought was 20145.

The Nurse flipped the switch that brought up the chair. She did this with a stoic face for she had seen this too many times to care anymore. The Doctor on the other hand looked on with a sick fascination.

The room was dimly lit, a layer of dark stuff covering all of the furniture and equipment, though the janitor had cleaned the room the day before. Water from the machine spilled onto the floor as the chair rose up. The dark haired girl sat limp upon it; her skin no longer the color of cream but the color of death. She felt none of the thousands of watts of electricity shot through her and she felt all of the thousands of watts of electricity shot through her.

It is such a shame, thought the Doctor, to be born with such enchanting loveliness but be absolutely mad. Such a shame indeed, but he found the contrast of her ivory skin and the vibrant blue of the shock waves very enthralling.

The young woman on the chair had lost consciousness, her black hair plastered on her face, her obsidian eyes closed in surrender. Her clothes were socked through. Visible on the left side of her shirt was Patient 20145.