Empty Swing | Teen Ink

Empty Swing

By Rozzea SILVER, Louisville, Kentucky
Rozzea SILVER, Louisville, Kentucky

The squeaking of an empty swing is the loneliest sound there is. Though that is the only sound you will here if you go to Black Wood Park. The playground hasn't heard the sound of joyful children at play in a long while.
However, the playground is not the only place in Black Wood that seems to be deserted. In fact, there is no one to be seen throughout all of the little town of Black Wood.
The houses that sit all in a line look clean and kept. The lawns are all mowed and the trees trimmed. If you looked in the windows you would see the swept floors and the furniture polished. But if you knock on the doors, no one would answer.
You see something happened in Black Wood a few years ago, nobody knows what exactly. Black Wood had always been secluded from the rest of the world. They didn't like visitors, and no one ever left. It was as if no one could get in and no one could leave. When someone did finally come across Black Wood for the first time on June 7, 2009 no one was left. It was as if every single person that had once lived in the town had disappeared without a trace.

Summerville is a very secluded place. It is as if no one else in the world knows it exists. There are no tourists, no family members come to visit, and no lost travelers ask for directions. Also, no one ever leaves. It is not as if people don’t want to leave, it is almost as if they can’t. To the people in the town, Summerville is the only place in the world, but that’s OK. They decided a long time ago that they didn't need any one else, and they didn't need to leave. Everything they could ever need was in Summerville.
Though Summerville may have seemed like the perfect place for the town’s people, one day everything went wrong. On June 7, 2009 someone went missing. In a normal town with a lot of people this wouldn't be a big deal, but everyone in Summerville has known each other since they were children and no one ever comes or leaves. At first the people of Summerville thought that maybe it was a strange onetime thing. The girl that went missing was a trouble maker anyway. She probably ran off with a boy. After all there was no sign of a struggle, or any type of distress. A one-time thing.
Then it happened again, and again. The fourth time the people of Summerville could not write it off any longer. Something was happening and they would get to the bottom of it. They had to get to the bottom of it.
The population in the town fell lower and lower until it was dwindling in the double digits. Yet still no one left. Every day was the last day, and they didn't need to leave. They could see what was going on around them but they just couldn't find the strength to leave. And so as it went the numbers dropped, until there was one person left.

On June 9, 2010 there was not a single soul left in Summerville. The only sound left was the squeak of a lonely swing that will never hear the laughter of children again, and in the small town of Wayward the first person goes missing.