The Secret of the Forest | Teen Ink

The Secret of the Forest

By Em_awesome_13 BRONZE, Reynolds, North Dakota
Em_awesome_13 BRONZE, Reynolds, North Dakota

"Love is like war. Its easy to start, but hard to end."

The Secret of the Forest

Scarlett walked through the front doors of her Aunt Ava’s bookshop. She was greeted by the smell of old, dusty books. The bell clanged as the door slammed shut behind her.

Ava was standing behind the sales counter arguing with an old, burly costumer who went by the name of Frederick. The two had been going at it for as long as she could possibly remember. She was surprised that she could actually understand a single word they were saying. She had only just gotten the hang of the German language and she was quite proud of herself.

Frederick through his hands up in the air and stomped in the direction of the front door. When he went by Scarlett he looked her in the eye and muttered, “Oh, it’s you again.” Then he walked out the door.

“Nice seeing you two!” She hollered back in German as the door slammed shut.

Ava walked towards her niece and looked her up and down. “You’ve grown so much in the last year, I hardly recognize you anymore.”

Scarlett didn’t really know what to say. It was true. She had gotten taller and she had decided to let her dark hair grow out to the middle of her back. Her features had become more defined and she no longer looked like a little girl. Of course, Scarlett didn’t really notice. To her, she still looked like the same old Scarlett, no more, no less.

She shrugged. “Thank-you.” She murmured.

‘Wow!” Ava exclaimed. ‘You can finally speak German!”

“Yep.”

“Where are your bags?” She asked her niece skeptically.

Scarlett looked around. “The driver told me that he would carry them in for me.”

“That wasn’t the best idea dear.” Ava rushed out of her shop with Scarlett following close behind her. Scarlett started to wonder why her aunt was having a conniption over someone being a perfect gentleman.

Once she made it outside she had to fight back the urge to burst out laughing at the sight of her aunt wrestling an old man to ground for her luggage. It was quite the sight.

“Give it back to me! You greedy old man!” Ava shouted as the old man kept on fighting for it.

“No! It’s your nieces fault for giving it to me!” He just would not let go. But when he slapped Ava clear across the face, Scarlett joined in and started wailing on him.

He grabbed hold of her and looked into her emerald green eyes. His eyes widened so much the she quickly became wary. His face grew even paler by the second as his eyes adopted a sunken look. He took a deep breath and said, “Scarlett, you must stay out of the forest. For it has many dark secrets that threaten you more as time passes. They are coming for and will stop at nothing until you are in their possession. They are coming for you. Beware!” He suddenly let go and started rasping for air. Scarlett staggered backwards a few feet.

She looked at her aunt who had the same look in her face that Scarlett had every time she was caught lying. Ava hung her head and looked at the ground as she rubbed her hand against her forehead. Scarlett turned around and ran into the dark forest without looking back.

She instantly became calm again as she stepped into the shadows of the enchanting black forest. She drew in a few deep breaths as she sat cross-legged under the nearest pine tree. Looking up at the looming mountains, she saw a steady mist coming closer and closer at a slow pace. She laid her head right next to some budding flowers.

Suddenly, she heard the sound of footsteps coming in her direction. She quickly got off the ground and saw a boy about the same age as her with expression in his face. He had jet black hair and gorgeous ice blue eyes.

“Is this normal for you?’ He asked her playfully.

“Maybe. Anyway, it’s not like my day has been anywhere near normal,” she replied. He cocked his head at her.

“Well, I’d love to hear all about how you ended up napping in this big, dangerous forest,” he used hand gestures to add emphasis. “But first, I’m Fabian and you are…?”

“Oh, I’m Scarlett.”

“Okay, Scarlett,” he gestured towards her. “What happened today?”He looked at her affectionately.

She took a deep breath and began to tell Fabian everything that happened that day, including the creepy old man. She felt better after talking about it. He looked at her and she knew he was someone she could very easily trust.

“Well, first of all,” he began, “I want you to know that I don’t think you’re crazy and that I completely believe you. Cross my heart and hope to die.”Scarlett chuckled and began to lighten up. She liked him…..a lot. “What?’ He asked her. “Isn’t that what you Americans say?”

“Err... every once in a while,” she explained. “Wait, you did you know I was American?” She questioned him.

“Even though you can speak German fluently, your accent could really use some work,” he smiled warmly at her and she felt as though she melt inside.

They sat down and began talk about friends and stupid movies they’ve seen. The sound of someone walking on leaves filled the forest. As soon as the mysterious stranger stepped a fallen tree branch, Fabian jumped to his feet and Scarlett followed suit…

He turned towards her and grabbed her hand. The two of them took off running. She struggled to keep up with him without tripping on God only knows what.

“What’s going on?” She asked. “Where are you taking me?’

“Somewhere where’ll be safe.” He answered vaguely.

“Why?’

“Because you’re in danger.”

“Not helping here!”

Fabian tripped over a log and struggled to get up due to the pain shooting up his right leg.

“Go! Run!” He told her as she disappeared into the shadows of the forest.

She kept running as fast as she could, adrenaline coursing through her veins.

As she struggle to catch her breath she heard Fabian shouting, “Scarlett, watch out!”

Someone put a cool, damp rag over her mouth. Everything went black.

This is my first short story. I wrote this because I read a book that caused me to become fascinated with the Black Forest. This story has a little bit of romance and a lot of mystery. Enjoy!

I'm the first to commmet!!! Yipee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!