My Dark Side | Teen Ink

My Dark Side

April 29, 2013
By black0widow666 SILVER, Avon, New Jersey
black0widow666 SILVER, Avon, New Jersey
7 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
“Dear future generations: Please accept our apologies. We were rolling drunk on petroleum.”
― Kurt Vonnegut


Thunder roars in the distance; the grumble of raging gods. Puddles of rainwater scatter the ground, reflecting images likes shards of a shattered mirror. The cloud’s darkness looms overhead, casting shadows throughout the alleyway where I walk. My footsteps begin to echo. There is someone behind me, following me. Fear crawls up my spine and settles deep within my mind. Every hair on my being is on edge. I feel the air cool as an unwelcome breeze snakes into the alley.


A sudden calm envelopes me; I know this feeling. This knowing, this serenity...


I turn around only to meet myself. My mirror image, my other. She cocks her head and smiles, a malicious smirk. I’ve been on the run from her so long, I have been clean for so long, and here she is. No restraint can hold her down, no person can tame her. She is my instinct, my ambition, my fire... My greatest fault.


I will never be free and she knows this. She will always return no matter how far I run. She steps forward and pulls me into her. We lock mouths and my eyes fall slowly. I feel her absorb my very willpower, I feel the essence of it leave my body. When I reopen my eyes I see her smiling once again, but then I realize it...

I am in front of a mirror. I am her and she is me. We are one once again. She has regained control and I am trapped, a mere spectator to her chaos. She is my dark side and she has won the perilous battle once again.