The Reef | Teen Ink

The Reef

April 29, 2013
By Anonymous

The Reef


My name is Annabelle Rose. I am a deep sea scuba diver and I work with National Geographic. This month I was sent to Sydney, Australia to study one of the largest reefs in the world just about one hundred miles off the coast. I shall travel there by a fishing boat and my small group of camera men will join me. I am discovering a new type of shark that has been sighted in this reef. It looks something like a mix of an alligator and a great white. This could be dangerous! I will record everything that is happening in this journal from today on out.



July 6, 2013
Today I got onto the boat and traveled to the reef where we will station our boat until it is time to return back. We were informed today that we will have someone on a different boat come out here and bring us personal hygiene products, drinking water, gas, and food. Mainly anything we need every week.


July 7, 2013
Today was the most amazing day of my life. I dived down into the reef. It has the most exotic plants and coral. The fish there were so bright with color. Although I have had a lot of spectacular dives, this place is amazing. No sign of shark yet!


July 7, 2013
Its 2 o’clock in the morning. A loud bang woke me up from under the boat! I woke up the camera crew and my partner and I are going to suit up and see what caused this bang.


July 8, 2013
Its a beautiful day out here on the sea. When we went in the water last night to see what was there... nothing appeared. Hopefully we know what was wrong so we can fix it! I am going in the water in about an hour to the reef. I am going to go do some research on the species of life down there.


July 9, 2013
No sign of shark so far. The bang occurred again last night though. This time even stronger and louder. We are starting to get worried, it could be the shark or a whale for all we know. If it is the shark we need to find out.


July 10, 2013
Its almost 11 o’clock here. My partner and I decided that we are going to spend the night in the water and see for ourselves what that bang is. I am a little scared just because the bangs have been so intense lately. I will record again in the morning to come!





July 11, 1013
Nothing happened all night and I am exhausted. My assistant swore he saw something big, I think he was just delusional cause we were so tired. I think we will try again a little later tomorrow night. That way we have time to rest, mainly so we are not “seeing things”. We did see a great white last night looking for food. That was pretty cool but not the material that we need!!



July 12, 2013
We all got a good night rest with no interruptions on the boat. At lease we didn't hear anything.... This morning I went swimming around just for fun. Like a nice morning swim. I was swimming around the left side of the boat and I was a huge ginormous scratch on the side. I asked one of the camera men to throw me some goggles I went under the boat and there smack in the middle was a dent the size of a car. It was not there yesterday so that means it happened in the night. I am going to try to see again if I can last another night out there and see the shark.


July 13, 2013
Last night was the night it all happened. I was dozing off half asleep and all of the sudden my partner screamed. I turned around and he was not there but the water was rippling where we was shredding water. I dove down into the water and saw something long and thick dragging him down. It was the shark! It looked just like a great white but with a chainsaw like mouth. On an average guess about 55 feet long. I have never seen something like it up close. There was nothing I could do. This “thing” was huge. If I tried to fight it back I would have got killed to!!! Later that night I saw something in the distance. It was my assistance flipper. At that point we knew he was not coming back.


July 14, 2013
I thought I was stronger then this and was going to be able to handle the pain of loosing my assistant. No though. We have all decided to go back to Newport Beach California where we all live. This shark is to big and scary for any researcher to study without an army. This shark may not be discovered or researched for at most a year longer. Till then I live in fear of what is lurking in our oceans.


The author's comments:
The thing that inspired me mo write this was when I went deep sea scuba diving and I come from a family of ocean lovers so I thought this would be a good piece to write about. I hope people will just get a thrill from this piece and want to read the second part.