The Chase | Teen Ink

The Chase

March 27, 2013
By LizJoyEstelle SILVER, Kalamazoo, Michigan
LizJoyEstelle SILVER, Kalamazoo, Michigan
5 articles 0 photos 0 comments

“And your total today will be…” I glance over my shoulder apprehensively to see a disheveled man clumsily pretending to be looking at a selection of windshield cleaner fluid. He squints up at me, causing me to shiver as I look into his dark eyes, quickly turning back to the cashier holding out my credit card from behind the plastic grey counter. “Thank you.” I force a nervous smile to the bright blonde smiling at me, grab my cold Arizona tea and turn on my heel, quickly going out the glass doors. I briskly walk toward the long empty sidewalk, digging through my front pocket for my phone. I turn it on, quickening my pace uneasily as I hear a door behind me click shut and heavy footsteps rapidly heading in my direction. A large flock of birds scatter loudly in different directions as I enter onto the pavement, flapping their wings and cawing as they fly off bewilderedly. I stare back down at my phone and see the fatal charge sign, telling me that my phone died, leaving me with the realization of my circumstances while my heart pounds almost audibly in my chest.
I peer behind me and see the menacing man determinedly staggering in my direction, staring at me. My eyes widen in fear and I begin to jog, then run, toward the direction of my house. He quickens his pace also. I drop my teal can of tea with the faint hope that he’ll trip over it and possibly fall. Soon it has become a full out chase as we are both running as fast as we can. Knowing eventually he will overpower me, I veer to the side into a large desolate park, the harsh, bitter wind eerily swaying the faded swings back and forth on their rusty hinges. I enter into the long tree line, pushing through the sharp branches. I jerk my head forcefully to the side, trying to see how close he is. He continues to chase me, tracking through melting snow and dead pine needles. The powerful wind is whipping my auburn hair against my pale face as I run frantically through the dusk. I sense a stinging pain on my chest as I look down to see red blood dripping down my denim shirt. I turn my head again to see the swinging branch against which I thrashed. My breath is coming in brief puffs as I desperately try to inhale more cold air, dodging in between towering bare pine trees.
“Help! Help!” I scream as loudly as I can as I pass a large formidable fence. I pause hesitantly in front of the fence; my mind races as I try to figure out what to do. I have a sudden adrenaline rush and back up, then jump over the weathered grey fence, slightly stumbling in the dead grass and then continuing to run. I run toward a house in the distance, desperately hoping it is not vacant. I reach the quaint yellow house and climb the four rickety front porch steps, knocking on the chipped paint of the door as hard as I can. I turn to see if the man is still chasing me; I do not see him. I feel as though I might just drop to the ground from exhaustion. My navy blue pants are stained and ripped as I impatiently wait for whoever might open the door.


The author's comments:
This is a narrative I recently wrote for my tenth grade writing class.