Finding Tate | Teen Ink

Finding Tate

By LegendInTheMaking GOLD, Oswego,
LegendInTheMaking GOLD, Oswego,

Images of the day danced around in my head, playing a slideshow of memories during my silent slumber. The images were cropped with a cut-out pattern around the edges, decorated with stickers and lace like pictures in a scrapbook. Pages, yellowed with time that has not yet passed flew into my sight. The pages were blank while all of the embellished photographs floated about the dark space of my closed eye-lids.

The snapshots stopped moving, stopped dead and hung in the shadowy space. The pages separated themselves and stood vertically on end. The pictures drifted slowly towards the pages and halted millimeters from the thread-thin sheets. Now surrounding the aged looking paper, the images began to rearrange themselves into the day’s chronological order of occurrences.

The photographs froze for only a second and then shuffled their way between the pages and stuck to them. A deep red book cover floated into view and bound itself to the pages, creating a scrapbook. The book closed and disappeared.

I searched for more images that did not appear. My mind became bored, and my eyes flew open.

I stared at my gray-white ceiling fan as it spun, never slowing, never stopping. Bored, I kicked my sheets off and swung my legs over the edge of the bed. My feet brushed the soft carpet, swinging back and forth like a child on a tall chair. I hopped up and pulled a white, V-neck T-shirt over my bare back. I changed out of my pajama pants and into some worn-out jeans. Not bothering to brush through my blonde bed-head, I jogged downstairs. At the bottom of the stairs laid Smokey, our cat.

Smokey’s fur is soft, smooth, and charcoal gray. He is quite tubby and his belly scrapes the ground when he hobbles about. His back, right paw is white unlike the rest of his body, giving the impression that he is wearing a sock.

He looked up at me with his shiny green eyes and meowed what would mean, ‘Feed me, two-legged boy.’

“Not now Smokey, where’s Tate?”

But the pudgy cat just purred and plopped his blubbery body down. He began to lick his belly with his blunt tongue.

“Stupid cat,” I muttered.

I padded into the kitchen. Rubbing my heavy eyes, I opened the fridge and pulled out the loaf of bread and butter. As I popped the bread into the toaster, I noticed something. Silence.

Tate would usually be up, making noise, doing whatever seven year old girls do. She was not. I left my bread in the toaster and hustled upstairs, taking two steps at a time. When I reached Tate’s room, I tapped on the door and it opened a crack so I could peer inside.

My eyes scanned the room, no Tate. Just an empty bed, floor littered with toys, and an open window.

I opened the door and leaned against the frame.

“Where is she?” I groaned.

I thought back to my dream of dancing pictures in a scrapbook and tried to remember if she was at a sleepover or something.

That can’t be right because we got in a fight last night and she said she wished she never had a big brother.

Now I’m standing here sister-less. Man, this stinks.

I slapped my hand to my forehead, “Aggghhh!” Mom and Dad aren’t even home. They went to Florida for the weekend.

So now I’m standing here without my little sister, alone, in Texas.

I pulled out my phone and dialed a number and waited for an answer. Click!

“Hellooo, River here.”

“River, hey, umm, I’ve got a problem.”

“Nice to hear your voice too, Kaine,” he said sarcastically.

I clenched my fist, “Whatever, my sister is missing and my parents aren’t home!”

There was a short pause on the other line. “Because I just lost my little brother to death, I’ll help you find your little sister that you lost to a game of hide and seek.”

“River! Stop kidding around! She’s not in the house! TATE IS MISSING!”

“Sorry, calm down. Is there anything missing from her room that may hint she ran away?”

“No, everything’s here. Her toys and clothes are here, her window is open and her bed is empty.”

“Did you say the window’s open? How wide?”

“All the way,” I sighed. “Can we get back to what matters please?”

There was a long silence on the other line. I sat and waited, wondering if River hung up. I got angry because of the lack of response.

“River,” I roared, “Say something!”

River’s voice was low, “Kaine,”
“WHAT?!?!?!” I cried.
“I think your sister has been kidnapped.”
My mouth dried out and my heart lurched into my throat. I crouched down and put my head between my knees releasing an angry yowl. I pulled my head up abruptly, tears streaming down my face. After I collected myself, I put the phone back to my ear.
“We’re going to find her,” I sniffled.
“See you in ten.”
I hung up. That’s all I needed to here.

River arrived at my house in eight. He wore black sport shorts and a blue muscle T. His black hair glistened in the sun and his bright blue eyes were hard. River took a deep breath and held his shoulders back.
“I’m ready. I already lost my younger sibling; I won’t let you lose yours. That’s a promise.”
His eyes began to tear but he wiped them away before they could fall.
“Let’s go into town,” I suggested, “We can ask around to find out if anybody has seen Tate.”
“Sounds like a plan,” River replied.
We jogged about half a mile into town and stopped in the square to catch our breath. Our town isn’t very big. The looming brick buildings are dark and uninviting but the landscapes are blooming with life. The people are mostly friendly and the cobblestone roads are clean. I would actually call our town a small village.
“Let’s go into the shops to ask the owners about Tate,” River looked over at me with concern, “Ok, Kaine?”
My face was expressionless, “Ok.”
We went in store after store to no avail. There was only one left.
A rude young man owned a stand-alone shop at the far end of town. Antique Boutique is its name. The man’s name is Mr. E. River calls him Mystery.
“Hey,” River started, “Let’s go ask Mr. Mystery.”
I sighed, “Fine.”
We opened the door and a bell rang. Mr. E emerged from the back room.
“What do you pests want?” Mr. E growled.
“Nice to see you too,” River smirked.
I elbowed Rived in the ribs and he doubled over. “Have you seen a little girl, Mr. E? Dark hair, bright green eyes, seven years old?”
“No,” he said shortly.
“Are you sure?” I inquired further.
“No,” he said again, this time with a hint of attitude.
“So you have seen her?” I was confused.
“No,” he said once more.
River stepped in. He leaned over the counter and grabbed Mr. E by the collar of his shirt. “Listen sir, his little sister is missing and you are going to tell us where she went,” He paused, “Got it?”
“The old coal mine,” he snarled through clenched teeth.
River released him as he spun around and hurried off into the back room.
“Well, there you go Kaine! We’re going mining!” River cried with relief.

When we reached the coal mine it was quiet, too quiet. River was tense. Though I was calm, I knew we would be fine. River is trained in martial arts. I glanced over at him, his eyes haunting. We have company.
A tree rustled. I thought it was the wind but River knew better. He jetted forward, grabbed someone, and threw him out into the clearing where I was standing.
It was a grown, very muscular man. River grabbed him by his wrists and pushed them up the man’s back and the man cried out.
River loosened his grip and hoisted the man to his feet. Then all of the sudden, seven other men emerged from the surrounding forest. Two charged at River at once. River faced one and grabbed the man he was holding by his shoulders and kicked out between his shoulder blades. I heard the shattering of bones and then the man collided with one of the incoming men and they both went down. The other man tried to throw a punch at River but he caught it. With one swift motion, River snapped the man’s elbow unnaturally upwards. He crumbled to one knee and cradled his broken arm.
“Come on!” River shouted, “Come and get me! So, nobody else wants broken bones. Fine, but I was having fun.”
The gang backed off. River stepped toward them and was nose to nose with one who flinched when he shouted, “Who’s your leader?!? Tell me you fool!”
The guy was shaking as he pointed. A man with blood red hair stepped out into the open.
“Stop screaming at my men, kid.”
“You gonna make me? I just shattered his shoulders, snapped his elbow, how about I crush your leg? Huh tough guy? What-cha gonna do?”
“Fair enough. What can we do to make you leave?”
I reached into my pocket for my wallet and pulled out a picture of Tate. “Where is she? My sister.”
I looked at all the men, their faces frozen in fear. Mr. Shattered Shoulders hunched over, coughing up blood. Mr. Snapped Elbow with a shirt tied around his neck and arm acting as a sling. Then, a man, whose shirt is being used as a sling stepped forward, “I saw her, when I was looking out the window of the pub. She looked as if she was passed out because the guy was carrying her. They crossed the Mexico border. But there’s nothing out there except an abandoned gas station.”
River’s eyes lit up, “Perfect!”
I stopped him, “How do we know we can trust them? Mr. E already lied to us, they could too.”
The leader interrupted, “Trust me, we won’t want to mess with you guys again.”
I nodded, “Fair enough.”

We crossed town and stood face to face with the Mexico border.
“Under, not over,” River said as he began to duck between the wires. He slipped through easily, “Easy, come on!”
Out of the corner of my eye, I saw the border patrol racing towards us. Frightened, I rushed and my shirt got caught. I pulled and tugged to no avail.
River shouted, “Forget the shirt!”
I slipped out of my shirt and raced away from the wire and River and I hid behind an old gas pump.
“Kaine, you ok? Did you get scratched?”
I shook my head, still catching my breath, “No, I’m fine.”
We stood up in sync and River pointed, “Look, over there. Is that an open sewer? Who would open a sewer out here?”
I approached the sewer, “It’s dry, come on.”

River looked taken aback, “What?!? Ugghhh NASTY!” after contemplating for a second, he groaned, “Fine.”
We climbed down the ladder and stood at an intersection of many dark tunnels, all dark but one. We both padded silently down the tunnel until we reached a huge room which looked like a lab. In the corner there was a cage hanging from the ceiling. In that cage was Tate. We ran to her.
“Tate!” I cried.
I knew my blue eyes were sparkling as I unlocked the cage. Tate jumped out at me and wrapped her arms around my neck, bright green eyes shining. Then, a man appeared from around the corner.
River shouted, “Mr. E!”
Then he lurched himself at Mr. E, knocking him out and breaking his leg. River waved for us to follow him out. Tate and I followed and just as we left, Tate kicked Mr. E in the head, “Jerk,” She muttered
I laughed and put my arm around her, “Remind me to call the cops, ok?”

We got home and I sent Tate upstairs to take a bath and get ready for bed. I turned to River, “Thanks man.”
He dipped his head, “No problem. She’s like a sister to me, you know. See you, dude.”
“Bye.”
River turned and walked off into the night, his black hair reflecting the light of the moon, He turned back and waved, his bright blue eyes glowing. Then he continued on his way.
I watched him until he disappeared into the darkness.
Tate put herself to bed, but I laid awake in mine. The door opened a crack and a small voice emerged, “Kaine, I can’t sleep. I’m scared.”
I smiled, “Ok, You can lay down with me.”
She did and quickly drifted off to sleep, as did I. The scrapbook returned. It played back my day and I felt pretty good.
I found Tate.