Mirror, Mirror | Teen Ink

Mirror, Mirror

March 18, 2013
By Beebs BRONZE, Palatine, Illinois
Beebs BRONZE, Palatine, Illinois
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

This is one story I have never told before. Not to anyone. Although I was with people, I dare not tell. I never told anyone because of how eerie it is. I always get chills every time I think about it, and now typing it out may be the most uncomfortable feeling ever.
My parents are strict when it comes to certain things, like my safety. My parents only really monitor one friend of mine, my best friend. They know about her and a lot about her family, so they feel that my safety is not compromised under their watch. My parents trust my best friend and her family so much that they even let me go on a trip to Wisconsin with them to visit her brother at his all-male military school. The trip was not only exciting because I was able to go somewhere somewhat far without my parents, but it was going to be an adventure with my best friend. Now about this military academy, it was established ages ago. That school was incredibly old, but it also was so magnificent and peaceful. It was at the heart of such a small town, where the town’s best selling fudge was just a walk down the street, and the lake for fishing is landmarks the edge of the town. However, despite the occupancy of over 300 soldiers to be, the school had a vacant feeling. The dorms, although were filled with supplies of the young lads, had air that was empty. True, these men were deprived from home and on a constricted regimen, but the unfilled air amongst the crowd was bone chilling.
Now my best friend’s parents knew how strict my parents are, and so they had to make sure that nothing bad happens in order for me to be able to participate in future activities outside of my family. But, they also knew I am not presented this opportunity many times, so they let me free. As long as we stayed in the parameters of the school, kept our phones on us, kept tabs with the adults, and stay with each other at all times, we were at our own discretion to roam around the campus. Me, my friend, and her parents all know that I am for one the more responsible child, so they all looked at me for a reassurance of if we can handle being on our own, and I guaranteed them all that we will be safe.
Our journey began. The sun had just set, yet the ancient buildings still casted darker than black shadows. We were able to find the two cute guys we met earlier that night and they invited us to join them to a party. I immediately thought how dangerous this could turn out, but then my friend was able to convince me that they are just a bunch of high school kids at a military school, how bad can things actually turn out? When we got to the party, we were shocked by the amount of people, and especially girls. There were only a handful of girls, who each individually were able to manage dealing with a handful of boys. While all the other boys were drooling, my friend and I hooked arms in the crowd of people, scared we would lose each other. We were able to find a less crowded corner. The two boys stayed with us. Mentally, my friend and I each claimed our guy, even though we both knew nothing would actually happen. The party was fun, but just not something my friend and I were in to, and with the expressions on our face, the guys knew to suggest going elsewhere. By that point, my friend and I were up for anything. We headed outside and all four of us were just walking, and then we take this turn into the most deserted street. My instinct was to check my phone for any calls, but there was no signal. The time was 9:53. After that, my phone was thrown into my purse, and we all started to walk a brisker walk.
The guys told us about the creepy old building that is completely vacant. I thought to myself, this entire school, although magnificent, is creepy and old, but I was interested to seeing this other building. It was quite a walk. Past tennis courts that had not been used for a long time; I could tell because grass began to grow in the cracks of the cement. This entire part of the campus has not been touched for at least a decade. I questioned if we would even be allowed to walk on the territory, but the rules were to stay on campus, and this was all in the school parameters.
We made it. The boy that my best friend mentally claimed was the first to open the doors and walk in. The rumors they heard of the place were typical haunted stories. Such as the only girl that has ever lived on this premises is the ghost of the girl that haunts this building. That at night, if anyone comes into her building, she will do her best to make sure they stay with her because she feels so lonely. The story of how she got there was a complete blur to both of the guys, but they did mention that some nights when she really needs someone to spend time with, she actually would go to other dorms and mess with the boys living in them. Of course, my friend and I knew that those stories are complete BS, but the place was peculiar enough to go into and explore. My heart was racing because of all the darkness, so I hooked arms with my friend. Turned out it was the cute guy I claimed to be mine. He did not seem to mind, so we just kept walking. It was the other boy’s “genius” idea to split up just to explore the place, but we all knew he just wanted some alone time with my best friend. Although I could not see the expression of my friend’s face, I could sense she was comfortable being with him. But before I even agreed to it, he took her elsewhere. I personally had no intentions doing anything except explore the “haunted” building.
We got the highest floor, my cute military lad and me still holding on to him, until I saw something shine in the darkness. It was a wall mirror, but it hung in a closet. I let go of my guy, and just followed the reflection of the moon. As I opened the door, the hinges made the most unpleasant sound. My military so called of a man squeals, and tells me to come back to him. What a wuss. I just gaze at the beautiful detail of the mirror, and thought why would an all male military academy ever need such a pretty mirror. My military friend says that he thinks he hears the other two upstairs and is just going to check the hallway. As he walks away, the closet door sways just a little, and I get these chills down my spine and arms. No windows were cracked, nor was there actual wind, but my hair was blowing in some sort of breeze. A breath. There was something else in the closet with me, someone else. I kept my gaze at the mirror on my face, because that was the only object that I knew was physically there. But in my reflection, just below my chin, I could see heat waves. The same waves that you see coming off a car on a hot sunny summer day. Just as I saw those heat waves, the chills down my spine turned to sweat in an instant. I took one step back, and then the air of something moving away swiftly blows by me, then walks around me. I feel something press to my neck, but it was not flesh. I got so scared because I could not see anything, and I knew there was something there I would not be able to see. I start walking away from the closet and increase my pace the farther away I got, and once I reached the end of the hallway, and look back at the shining mirror in the closet, I see a shadow that covers the shine of the mirror, and the closet door slowly sway shut. I yell for my military guy’s name, and he scares me by jumping out from the shadow. I punched him hard enough to make sure he would not do it again, but not enough to make him see how truly scared I was. We ended up finding my best friend and her guy outside because she got too scared to stay inside. As we headed back to main buildings, I look back to the room that I was in, and I see the reflection of the mirror shine out of the window. After that moment, I dared not look back. Should I mention to anyone what had just happened? What would they think? I am scared. Crazy. Just seeing things.
We finally met up with my best friend’s parents and brother, and introduced the nice guys we met to them. We said our good nights to the boys, in hopes of seeing them tomorrow before we head back home. My best friend and I arrive at our hotel room and get ready for bed, when I notice something peculiar. I asked my friend if she sees something on my neck, she kiddingly suggests I got some action with my military guy. I knew we did not. There was a light bruise-like mark on my neck where I felt something touch me. I just throw my sweatshirt on thinking if I cannot see it, it is not there, and jumped into bed.


The author's comments:
My inspiration was the first two lines from the fourth chapter in the book The Things They Carried by Tim O'Brien. I start off my story borrowing his words.