The House on Franklin Street | Teen Ink

The House on Franklin Street

March 8, 2013
By Stargazer101 BRONZE, Lexington, South Carolina
Stargazer101 BRONZE, Lexington, South Carolina
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Bethany James is not your average girl. She loves reading mystery novels over hanging out with friends at the mall. But when one summer day changes her life, everything starts to become even more complicated. Chapter 1: The House on Franklin Street There’s one house on Franklin Street that nobody goes near. It’s the one house in which high school students would dare each other to go inside the house and take something to see who was brave. While the adults would whisper and gossip about the strange house, and the kids would use it in scary stories. Many people say it is haunted by the owner who built the house; others say it’s the house of a kidnapper who lured children into the house and killed them, and ever since the children were killed; their ghosts still roam the halls seeking a way out.
Even though many shun this house there are some who are curious about it. I am one of those people. My name is Bethany James, but everybody calls me Beth. I’m no ordinary girl; I don’t go off talking about clothes or jewelry. No I prefer to sit quietly in the corner reading a mystery novel of some kind. Anyway back to the house you see I don’t believe either one of the rumors going around town mainly because I know the truth.
It was the first day of summer vacation and I had gone out for a bike ride around the neighborhood when I came m upon the “Spook House” as everyone calls it. The “Spook House” was named for the fact that it had two grave stones in the backyard but nobody’s name was on them. Plus on many occasions people have said they heard a low moaning or seen a shadow of a person as they walked by the house. Now I’m not one who believes in that stuff, but today I did; for as I was riding by I noticed a figure standing near the window. I stopped my bike and parked it next to the wrought iron gate.
“Okay I did not just see a person at the window,” I mumbled to myself, “or did I see it?” I walked closer to the house and that’s when the smell hit me. Like a trash can that was left out too long without being picked up; that’s what the smell reminded me of only a lot worse. Covering my mouth I crept closer to one of the lower windows and peek in. Then I screamed. I screamed loud and long and when I stopped I was shaking all over. There on the floor to the house lay four rotting corpses. Two adults and two kids how long they had been there I didn't know. And at that point it didn't matter; so I ran back to my bike and rode as fast as I could to my boyfriend John’s house.
I quickly knocked on the door to John’s home shaking from head to toe. Finally after what seemed like forever, the door opened.
“Beth? What’s up? And why do you look like you've seen a ghost?” John asked.
“Call the cops,” I stammered.
“What why?”
“Just call the cops! And can I please get a glass of water?”
“Yea sure come on in,” he opened the door wider and I walked over the threshold and into his house.
About ten minutes later we were sitting in the den with the police standing in front of us.
“OK why did you call 911 if nothing is wrong here?” one officer asked.
“I- I found four bodies at the “Spook House.” I stammered. The second officer rolled his eyes and replied, “Miss nobody lives in that house so how could there be four dead bodies? You sure you’re not pulling our legs?”
“No! I’m positive they’re there!” I yelled. The officers looked at each other then back to me.
“Alright show us.” The first officer ordered. We all piled into his car and drove off to the house. John was looking at me like I had turned into some kind of a freak monster.
“What?” I finally asked him
“You really did see dead bodies didn't you?” He asked. I just nodded my head and then turned to look out the window. After a few minutes we arrived at the “Spook House” and were just reaching to open the door when the wind blew it open. The two officers pulled out their guns and told us to wait outside. A few more minutes went by before they called us inside.
First officer, “Now where did you see the bodies Miss?” I walked over to the window I had peeked in, turned around and pointed to where they had been. But when I looked nothing was there.
“I swear they were there an hour ago before I called you.” I replied.
“Beth’s right,” John spoke up, “Can’t you see that there's blood all over the floor and that the house smells of rotting bodies?” Both officers looked at where John pointed a little closer before saying, “They’re right we need to get a troop in here now and see what happened to the bodies.”
They started to walk toward the door and as they did the door slammed shut. One of the officers tried to open the door but it was locked tight. Strange, I thought how can a door shut and lock itself on its own? Then suddenly we all heard a low moaning sound and the sound of a shovel slicing into the ground. I edged closer to John and he pulled me close knowing that I didn't like the situation we were in and wanted out of it.
“ OK so who wants to go check out the backyard to see what’s going on?” I asked.
“We’ll all go,” the first officer said, “that way if somebody is in the house we want have to worry about anyone being in danger.” John and I nodded and followed the officers to the back door. When we arrived at the door and stepped out onto the back deck. What we saw froze every one of us. There in the yard lay the two original graves but four more freshly dug ones. The family I had seen inside now lay in each grave being covered with a pile of dirt by a figure whose face was hidden behind a mask.
I screamed again and John grabbed my waist and pulled me closer to him. That’s when the figure stopped what he was doing and looked up. He smiled a wicked smile before saying, “Whose next?” in a deep gravely voice. The officers finally snapped out of their daze and pulled out their guns. They fired but when we all looked again nobody was there and all four bodies lay buried in their graves.
After we had called in a troop of police officers and had unburried all the bodies. John and I left.
“So it turn’s out you were right all along Beth, “He smiled.
“Guess so,” I responded. Then he pulled me in close for the third time and kissed me gently on the lips. I guess it’s safe to say that all the bodies where returned to their right home and nobody bothered going near that house anymore. As for the man in the mask we never heard nor saw him ever again.


The author's comments:
I wrote this two years ago for a library contest at school. Several art and photography had drawn and taken pictures that the contestants had to base their story off of. The picture I chose to write about was of a haunted house set in a night background with one light or shadow of a figure in one of the windows. Thus the House on Franklin Street was created to explain what I believed the picture was about.