Snack Time | Teen Ink

Snack Time

February 20, 2013
By booknerd2016 BRONZE, Loogootee, Indiana
booknerd2016 BRONZE, Loogootee, Indiana
3 articles 0 photos 4 comments

Favorite Quote:
"If you're dreams don't scare you they aren't big enough"

"Minds are like parachutes- they only function when they're open"


I am not even that far across the river. Man up, you big baby I chant to myself as I stare at the 200 feet of water keeping me from proceeding in the race. Already having biked twenty-one miles and running fifteen miles, I was both physically and mentally exhausted. I rushed into the nearby brush, stripped of my sweat-drenched clothes, and traded them for an outfit more suited to my next task. After stuffing the other clothes in my waterproof bag, I slowly waded into the ice-cold water.

As I swam across the river, my mind wandered over to the tragic love story: Titanic. If I thought this fifty-degree water was cold imagine what the people stranded in the sinking boat felt like when they were not so nicely thrown into the freezing cold water.

Movement at my legs broke my train of thought. A few moments passed until I felt it again. Almost as if whatever it was, was trying to sniff out who dared enter its home. A nibble on my right toe told me differently though. I instinctively moved my foot away from the creature trying to use my foot as its lunch.

A burst of pain erupted in my arm. I screamed and tried lifting my arm out of the water to investigate further. The muscles in my arm were immobilized with pain. While lifting my right arm using my left I grunted from the effort it took. Whatever it was that caused the sudden and instant pain wasn’t letting go. Once my arm breached the surface, whatever it was let go and attacked my leg. I could feel its teeth inking into the flesh f my leg. Agony flared up in my right leg immediately as the thing punctured a blood vessel and a nerve.

I screamed, not unlike a girl, as the pain reached what I thought was its peak. I tried to move my leg to reach the bank on the other side with the thing still attached to my leg but once again, my muscles seemed to clench involuntarily and refused my order to move. Another pair of teeth punctured my left arm, leaving me practically limbless and stranded in the middle of a river. My screams seemed to die away as time went on and I could feel each tooth dig deeper and deeper into me. It took all the willpower I had to lift my arm high above the surface quickly to see what was attacking me at all angles. At least then, I might be able to fight it off.

My eyes met the unnerving and unblinking eyes of a piranha the size of a large man’s fist. It unlatched its pointed teeth and fell back into the water only to attack my stomach and tear into my flesh. I squawked quietly once as the unmerciful pain registers in my mind. My throat, dry as it is, couldn’t seem to produce even a half decent scream anymore. The world blurred and my vision went black as I felt a tooth puncture my eyeball. By now, my nerves were already going crazy and I could no longer feel each spot the piranhas bit in to. I felt myself finally lose consciousness after what felt like an eternity of pain but what was probably no more than three minutes.

I watched from above as my body continued to be eaten and torn apart by the merciless and unsparing fish with overly sharpened teeth. While watching it, I felt painless which contrasted nicely with all the pain I endured in such a short amount of time.

Finally as I watched my body parts sinking to the bottom of the river I felt myself slowly ebbing into the background until finally I was no more.











Swimmer’s Body Found

On August 18, 1997, Billy Mitchell’s body, the missing racer, was found in the White River located in Southern Indiana. Though, the body was found floating on top of the water, the cause of death remains unknown. Police are actively investigating the case. Billy Mitchell will not be left tossing and turning in his grave waiting for his murderer to be caught for long. Police have a very promising lead and are ready to take action as soon as possible.

Article by: Melinda Farkov





Writer Found Murdered in Own Kitchen

Melinda Farkov was found brutally murdered in her newly remodeled kitchen on August 19, 1997 by her proprietor’s dog, Chichi. Farkov’s estimated time of death is the same day, not only that but a few hours after, the New York Times released her article. The article’s truth rings loud and clear to all now that Mitchell’s murderer has taken another life in retaliation of Melinda Farkov’s highly informational article. We send our prayers to her family and friends. May she be in our hearts forever and her killer be caught before he can inflict any more pain in our lives.