Naveh Lake | Teen Ink

Naveh Lake

January 27, 2013
By nathan_myers BRONZE, Lilburn, Georgia
nathan_myers BRONZE, Lilburn, Georgia
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
no matter where you go, there you are.


Chapter 1


Billy walked into the bar and saw Steven sitting down talking to his brother in law. He was walking up to the booth when he heard them talking about old man White. “Seriously, I’m not kidding, I helped them take his body out of the house.” said Tom, still in his state trouper uniform. Billy sat down and started to talk to Steven and Tom about what happened.


“Hey” he said, “so what happened to the old coot?” Billy poked Tom with his elbow. “You can tell us the truth, we’re family.”


“No one really knows.” said Tom putting his glass down. “They think it was a heart attack.”


“Who cares about him, I’m only interested in the lake” said Steven. “He never let anyone near it. I mean really, his family has owned that lake for at least 200 years. My parents told me once that his family has had someone living there since the Revolutionary war. They won’t sell it, won’t let people near it. The whole bunch of them is nuts.” Steven pointed his finger at Billy and said, “Can you imagine how much that land would be worth. Hell, I’d sell it and go live on a beach.”


“Do you know how many times an officer has been called out because of him? He shoots at anybody that gets near that lake” said Tom. “Who on earth would shoot at someone for wanting to get near a lake? I’ve told him at least 50 times he should charge to let people fish on it. Then he wouldn’t have to scrape by on his pension check. He moved up here right before his mom died, he was about 50, and took over the place. Hasn’t worked a day since. Just him and his wife, and since she died he hasn’t left that house. He pays a kid from the grocer to deliver his food.”


“He’s nuts” said Billy. “You’d have to be a complete psycho to live like that.”
Steven stood up. “Hey” he said, “we can finally go fishing there. Let’s do it before some lawyer locks a gate on the road. God only knows who owns the place now. Can you imagine the size of the fish that must be in there?”

Excited, Billy shouted “Yeah, count me in”. Tom shook his head and said, “now you know I can’t be part of that but I didn’t hear nuttin’ about you guys going.” Winking at Billy he said, “ just bring me and your sis a nice fish from there.

Chapter 2


Saturday March 21st at the crack of dawn Billy picked up Steven and they headed to the lake. 7 am they backed the boat up to the edge and pushed the back of it into the water. “Ready?” said Billy. “Oh yeah” said Steven. They hopped in the boat and shoved off from the shore. Billy got the little motor going and they rode to the middle of the lake. The water was like glass. The motor barely made a ripple in the surface. Billy killed the engine and they got out their rods. Steven looked down into the water. “I wonder how deep this thing is. It shouldn’t be too deep but the water sure is dark.” He looked on the other side of the boat as Billy tied a fly to his hook. “Hey look at this, I think I see something” Steven said. “Right there about a foot off this side. Right under the surface. It’s shiny”. Steven leaned over the edge to see if he could touch what ever it was. Just as his fingers broke through the calm surface the water began to ripple. Within seconds Billy was holding onto the side of the boat for safety. The water started to churn, stronger and stronger until it was at the point where they thought it would tip over. Billy quickly grabbed for Steven’s shirt.

Chapter 3


Heaven Township was founded in 1760 in the Adirondack Mountains in New York. They called it Heaven because it was. The founders loved their town and thought it was heaven on earth. They built a church and a school and people settled there.


The second Friday of August of 1790 was a beautiful day. The sun was shining, the children were playing by the river that ran through town and everything was peaceful. The waterwheel at the mill spun making splashing sounds as it spun. The whole town was surrounded by mountains with one road that ran through the mountains into the town. If you could look down from the sky the town would look like it was at the bottom of a giant bowl. In the center of the town square, in front of the church was a large black cannon that was left from the revolutionary war. It has never been used. All of the townspeople were crowded in the town square and the church steps waiting for the new preacher to arrive. The old preacher had died over a month ago and they were impatient for services to start again. Pastor DeVille pulled up in a horse drawn carriage and was greeted by everyone. The woman had made a pot luck and everyone went into the church to eat.


The only sound you could hear on the square was the metal pounding in the blacksmith’s shop. He hadn’t been to church since his wife died in childbirth leaving him with a son to raise alone. Young William Sutton was 2 months old.


Farmer Goode’s wife brought him a plate to eat from the dinner. “I wish you would come to the church” she said. “You can not stay away forever. William needs to be baptized. The new Preacher is going to baptize everyone next Sunday.”


The blacksmith quietly answered “I can not Mistress Goode. I just can not.”


Chapter 4


Friday August the 13th, 1790 ended badly for Farmer Goode. While unhitching the horses from his cart they got spooked and trampled his legs. The doctor came and set his legs with splints and sent him to bed.


The next Sunday he tried to get his wife to go to church but she would not leave his side.


Farmer Goode finally got out of bed the end of September. His 1st trip into town was uncomfortable. No one smiled, no one waved, no one, except Blacksmith Sutton.


By December Farmer Goode and his wife wouldn’t go into town. Fights broke out daily, other farmers had stopped tending their livestock and killed them for food instead. It was chaos. The winter was harsh and Blacksmith Sutton and his son had moved to the Goode’s farm to help them in November. No one needed new horseshoes and farmer Goode’s farmhands had run off. The farmer and blacksmith knew something was wrong in the town. Farmers left their land and moved into town. The children stopped going to school. Everyone spent their days at the church. Something was very wrong.


As spring began the farmer watched all of his animals lose their babies. His crops didn’t grow and people from the town kept trying to get him to come to church. Farmer Goode and his wife had only gone to church once since his legs had healed and it was a disaster. They didn’t read from the bible and the Preacher only talked about how God had forsaken the town.


The 2nd Friday in May was going to be a huge event at the church. For 2 weeks people had been coming to the farm trying to get them to go. At 1st they asked. Then they started to threaten The Goodes and Blacksmith Sutton. They said that they had to come to the festival on the 13th. The farmer and blacksmith had had enough. They snuck into the town to see what was going on. The church was covered in symbols with red paint and the once beautiful town was destroyed. House windows were broken, the stained glass of the church was smashed and the blacksmiths shop was torn down. They snuck behind the church and listened. What they heard was horrible.


They heard Preacher DeVille say “This Friday is Friday the 13th. The day we raise Satan from Hell. We need to kill the innocents and use their blood as a sacrifice. We must get the Goodes and Suttons here tommorow, even if you have to tie them up.”


The Farmer and Blacksmith knew what they had to do. The Blacksmith got the 2 casks of blasting powder that were next to the cannon. The Farmer took one cask to the end of the river and put it on the side of the mountain so that when it blew it would seal the river and make a new dam. The Blacksmith went up to the old dam to use the blasting powder to destroy it and flood the town. As the church bell rang to signal midnight they lit the fuses.


Water rushed in. More water rushed in than they could believe. It was like God was helping them flood the town like he did for Noah. The water poured in until the town was covered. The old road seemed to disappear into the new lake.

Chapter 5


September 1791 was beautiful. The leaves changed colors and the Farmer’s wife was pregnant. They built a house next to the old town road and swore no one would ever go near the lake again. The Goodes had a daughter that married William Sutton. Each generation had a child that would move away at 18 and find someone to marry. Somehow they would always know when to come back. Right before their 2nd parent would die they would come back with their spouse and child.

Chapter 6


William White, named after his great, great, great, great, great grandfather was killed with his wife and daughter in a car crash on Friday
March 13th 2009. He was driving home to take his father’s place.

Chapter 7


Billy’s fingers quickly closed around Steven’s shirt as he tried to pull him back into the boat. Just as Billy thought he had him Steven let out a scream as a boney hand reached out of the water and pulled him down.

The End