Subject #6 | Teen Ink

Subject #6

By Yona95 BRONZE, Los Angeles, California
Yona95 BRONZE, Los Angeles, California

Subject #6

John woke up with a start; he felt tired and disoriented as if he had just woken up from a coma. Dazed and confused, he looked around and noticed that everything in his line of vision was stone. The floor was jagged and sharp, and as he gazed up, he saw that there were stalactites hanging from the ceiling and small pockets of sunlight seeping through the rocks. A chilly draft flowed in from the endless mouth of darkness, sending shivers down his back.
His friend Roger, lying a few feet away, opened his eyes and asked bewilderedly, “How did we get here? I don’t really remember anything from last night.”
John replied, “The only thing I remember was us going to Curby’s bar for a nightcap.”

Getting up from the floor, they both stretched their arms and legs to the sound of satisfying joint creeks. Their limbs were sore, but their necks were worse. John walked around gingerly scanning the walls, scratching his head as he wondered how the hell he had ended up in a cave. His footsteps and breathing echoed throughout the cave, while Roger, still a little hungover, nervously stared at his shaking feet.

1
“What do we do now?” Roger nervously asked.
“I don’t know…. Wait do you have your phone with you?”
“I have it, but it’s dead”
“S***” answered John.

John stood in silence for a couple of minutes pondering their situation. He was nervous, dizzy, and hung-over, but knew that he had to think quickly on his feet.

“Roger, we need to find a way out of here. Do you want to explore the rest of the cave?”

“Um, I can barely get up, my body is shaking too much”
“Ok man, I’ll explore the rest of the cave by myself to try and find a way out, and you just stay here. OK?”
“Are sure about this?” Roger asked

“Yeah, this is the only way.”

“Ok man, be careful.”
As John finished loosening up, he braced himself and started to walk gradually towards the abyss of darkness. When John was completely out of sight, Roger reached into his right pocket, and pulled out an earpiece. He adjusted it in his ear and nonchalantly said, “Experiment 6 is entering the quarantine zone.”

2