The Quiet Man's Bride | Teen Ink

The Quiet Man's Bride

January 4, 2013
By TheBellusSociety PLATINUM, North Olmsted, Ohio
TheBellusSociety PLATINUM, North Olmsted, Ohio
22 articles 0 photos 8 comments

Favorite Quote:
"The poets have been mysteriously silent on the subject of cheese." -Gilbert K. Chesterton


We were in an abandoned warehouse. The quiet man screamed. I loved it when he screamed. My teeth met the flesh of his shoulder and sank in. I bit deeper and deeper until teeth clashed with teeth and I pulled away. His flesh tore like paper under my bite. His shoulder sprayed blood which splayed all over my face. I chewed the still warm meat until it was a pulp and then I swallowed. I swooned at the taste.

I swooned and fell and the quiet man caught me. We were at a carnival in New York City. We had just viewed an attraction at the sideshow. The creature we saw was more beast than man. He had shocked me with his appearance and the quiet man caught me. I smiled at him and shoved him away. I told him that his holding me in public was not proper. He laughed and said I was never the type to be proper. I kissed him on the lips and whispered that he was right.

I whispered that I was scared. We were in an alleyway and surrounded by muggers. The quiet man told them that we didn’t want any trouble. The biggest mugger said that they wanted trouble. I told them to leave us alone. The big mugger said that I should shut my mouth if I wanted my boyfriend to survive this encounter. Another mugger grabbed me and pinned me down. Then he lifted up my skit. The quiet man lashed out. He single handedly took out the three muggers. Let’s go to the carnival he said. I hugged him around the neck and cried.

I hugged the quiet man around the neck and cried. We were at my parent’s house in Baton Rouge. He had just returned from the war. I had thought that he had died. He picked me up and swung me around. He proposed. I said yes. We were married and moved within the year. We lived in New York now. To celebrate our move, we were going to walk from our apartment to the carnival.

We went for a walk. We were in Natchitoches, at his parent’s estate. The quiet man told me he was joining the war effort. I cried. We were to be married. I could not understand his motivation in joining the war. He said that his country needed him. I told him that I would wait for him.

I told him that I was waiting for someone. We were at a Marti Gras ball in New Orleans. The quiet man asked me to dance and would not take no for an answer. I agreed, as it looked like I had been stood up by my date. We danced for what seemed like hours. He asked to take me back to his hotel room. I told him that, even though I had been stood up, I still had my pride. He offered to walk me to my hotel room. I told him as a woman of the twentieth century I could walk home myself.

I walked home from the abandoned warehouse. I was in New York City. I had just eaten my husband, the quiet man. And I was off to find another man to charm into being my husband. So I could eat him as well. Maybe a tall man, or a fat man. But, God forbid, not another quiet man.