wait. | Teen Ink

wait.

By CassandraC GOLD, New York, New York
CassandraC GOLD, New York, New York

“A philosopher once asked, “Are we human because we gaze at the stars, or do we gaze at them because we are human?” Pointless, really…”Do the stars gaze back?” Now that’s a question.”

Neil Gaiman, Stardust.

It is night and something horrible will happen if The character falls asleep

You can't sleep.
You won't even try.
You lie awake scared out of your mind.It's the middle of the night and the house is silent. The world hums in a whisper of a song.It's warm but you shiver anyway.
Srrch. Srrch.

It's the dreams.

Srrch. Srrch.

They're starting again. You try not to think about them but even your waking hours are filled with the thought of them. Dark things, shapes that attack you when you sleep.

Srrch. Srrch.

Nightmares, but only much worst. It's no use. You've tried everything.Pills, doctors,teas, hot milk and even staying awake. But it hasn't work. None of them have.

Srrrcch. Srrrcch.

So here you are. A prisoner of your own mind. A victim of your ever occurring thoughts. You try to count sheep but you should know by now that that doesn't work.
You don't know what to do. So you wait. The minutes slowly march by, taunting you with the promise of morning. You wait because you have nothing else to do. You wait because you are bored.
But most of all you wait because you're alone in the dark for the last half hour you've heard the same srrch-srrch sound on your door. The sound of incredibly long talons clawing against your door.

Srrrrrccch. Srrrrccch.

And the sound is getting worse.And in truth you wait because you know exactly what's waiting for outside. The same thing that has been haunting your dreams. In additional you wait because that's all you could do since you heard your floorboards began to creak downstairs. And when you felt that your heart had began to race and that your started to break out in a cold sweat you knew you were done for.

Srrrrccchh.

Now you wait. Because that's the only thing you can do. The only peace you have left in this world.
So go ahead.
Go to sleep.

I dare you.