Thank You For Your Time | Teen Ink

Thank You For Your Time

By MorganLeigh BRONZE, Buena Vista, Colorado
MorganLeigh BRONZE, Buena Vista, Colorado

Even after all this time the sun never says to the Earth "You owe me." Look what happens with a love like that it lights the whole sky.

She never really understood her purpose. Her life had been so plain and misused that she never felt the need to take the time to figure out who she really was. Ever since she was little, she just couldn’t figure out what she was put on the Earth for. She figured one day that it would become apparent, and that from then on she could live her life making her family proud, and achieving all the goals that anyone would set out to accomplish. Until the day she died.
The death of someone that no one really knows is still sad, right? For some strange reason, no one could really feel sorrow for her death. Her death didn’t happen over time, like cancer, and she wasn’t shot. Annalee was buried alive.
No one knew who killed her, and no one could think of any reason someone would want to kill her. Annalee didn’t have friends, but she never had an enemy. Even though no one knew her well enough to say anything nice about her, they couldn’t say anything bad about her either. That’s what makes her case so strange. Along with the fact that there was no evidence, witnesses, or reasons why she would be wanted dead. There was the strange fact that her parents hadn’t even noticed she was missing for two whole days, though.
That’s where we come in. It’s our job to find evidence and uncover the case. In this very strange and well thought out case, we didn’t have any evidence on Annalee’s murder, until this morning. We received a mysterious letter through mail. There was no return address, and they were very careful not to leave their fingerprints behind, and to preserve any unknown fingerprints that might be on the letter already. I told the evidence department to go over it, and email me what it says.
It took about 2 hours for them to go through and read it. When I received the email I was stunned. The email said:

You’re probably thinking, “Who would kill a nobody? If you’re going to kill someone, why not kill someone that people cared about? That would make a bigger impact on people.” If you’re thinking that, you would be wrong. Killing Annalee was twisted, but brilliant. She was a nobody, and nobody cared for her. If you think about it, killing her was smart because then people would start thinking. They would think about why someone would kill someone who had little impact on society? Or why would you bother if no one would care? The reason is exactly that. No one would care. No one would pursue her murder; therefore no one would get caught. The person who killed her must be twisted then, right? Killing a poor teenage girl just to kill someone, that’s the sickest crime someone can commit. Someone was crazy enough to do it, though. Sometimes I sit and wonder what my purpose is. I think that’s what Annalee and I had in common. We never knew our purpose. The problem with not knowing where you belong, or why you exist is that the uncertainty of your life leads to the questioning of your life. I have often questioned why I was put on this Earth. Until I finally realized that my job on the earth was to rid it of everyone that is like me. People, who have no idea where they are going are a waste of society, and a waste of time. There’s no point for them to wander around and cloud everyone else’s decisions with their uncertainty.
The point of this letter is so that I can triumphantly claim one, single statement. I killed Annalee. The problem with this confession is that you have no idea who I am. I’m not going to give you hints, and I’m not going to tell you my name, because my job on this earth is not yet finished. I will never stop until I have met my goal, and I won’t have mercy on anyone.

Thank you for your time.

It was disturbing knowing that this murderer was out there looking for their next victim, and we had no idea who they could be, or where they were. I went and talked to my partner, and showed him the email. He was just as startled as I was by reading the letter, so we went and talked to the lab to see if there were any fingerprints on the letter. Sadly, there were no fingerprints on the letter that they could trace.

It had been 3 weeks since the murder, and the only lead we had was the letter, which wasn’t much of a lead anyway. We were diagnosing the letter to see if there was a hidden meaning behind anything, such as location, or some sort of pattern in the placement of the words, but the author of the letter was very careful to not leave any clues behind. My partner and I were sitting in my office talking it over, when my phone started to ring. I answered and almost dropped the phone in disbelief. He had struck again. A squad had found a young boy hanging in the forest, along with a letter.

The letter read:

I told you I will never stop.
Thank you for your time.
??
It was dark. The only hint to where I was at was the smell of dirt and the dark damp box that I was in. Scenarios started running through my head, this was a joke. I couldn’t possibly be trapped. I tried pushing up, but it didn’t budge. I started to repeatedly attempt to break free from wherever I was. I tried pushing the walls, and was startled by what happened. Dirt fell in. I wasn’t quite sure what that meant at first but then it hit me like a train. I was buried alive.