Paper Shredder

"Piece of Paper near Paper Shredder"

I can't move, I can't talk. All I can do is watch. Watch the others' lives end with the push of the button. Listen to The Monster as it tears them up, one piece at a time. Waiting to be next, wishing to be next. For it to all just be over.
I don't recognize any of the ones who are slaughtered, they are all so different. Different, but the same; terrified, helpless, and innocent. It's not as if they did anything to deserve this fate. They were just in the wrong place, at the very wrong time.
I suppose I should be grateful that I'm still here, lying so close to The Monster, but lucky enough to not be chosen. Yet.
But Why am I still alive. Why haven't I been chosen? Wouldn't it just be easier to shred me into scraps like the others?
Being bound and gagged, I feel like a piece of paper near a paper shredder.

It's hard being the wife of serial killer.

NG123 said...
At first I thought this was about anthropomorphic paper, so the ending caught me off guard. I like the metaphor. The phrase "different, but the same" doesn't make much sense by itself, you should note how they were different.

Tiffiny22 replied...
Thanks so much for the feedback and advice! I'll be sure to go over that part carefully when I have time to revise it. :)