Heartaker | Teen Ink

Heartaker

By WritingWords BRONZE, Chicago, Illinois
WritingWords BRONZE, Chicago, Illinois
1 article 0 photos 1 comment

“Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You.”-Dr. Seuss

You have one new message.
My cell phone screen blinked on and off, sending deep vibrations through my desk. I peeled my eyes away from the website I was looking at, TeenInk. I eyed my phone wearily. Could it just be another text message from a friend that I don't really care about? Or maybe it could be...I shook my head. It was silly to still be so hopeful that it would be Chris texting me back, saying that he missed me. I grabbed the phone quickly anyway. The moment I clicked the message, I knew something wasn't right. The message had no caller name on it.
Being the curious person I was, I clicked Read More, even though my instincts told me not to. Do not go to the movie theater. I scrolled down, looking for something more. But that was all the message said. I laughed silently in my head. I didn't have any plans to go to the movies any time soon. Besides, the movie theater was Chris and my hangout place, back when we were still dating. I closed the message and went back to looking through stories on TeenInk. I'm always attracted to the dark thriller and horror stories because they are so far from reality. They take me to another world. I know for a fact that they never happen in real life anyway. And besides, now that Chris is gone from my life, I technically have no life now, wasting my summer days doing nothing and reading.
I was peacefully reading until the screen got too dark to see. I looked up at my white clock in front of me. The time read 7:00 pm. It's already that late? I had no idea. Time really flies by when you're reading. I turned on my room lights and decided to check my email. The instant I got online, a chat popped up. It was Chris' best friend, Robert. He said, "Heyy!" What really surprised me was that I never really talked to Robert before, even when I was dating Chris. Why would he suddenly start a conversation with me now? I replied with a lone "hi!" Robert is typing..."Hey wanna come watch The Dark Knight Rises tonight at the AMC?" I widened my eyes and my heart quickened. This is such a coincidence...it must be a coincidence. But should I believe the warning text I got earlier from someone I didn't know? It sounded eerily serious, not like someone who was joking around. I typed slowly, "Um..I don't know.." He replied quickly, "Chris is coming too ;)"
My mind reeled from this new information. Finally a chance to see Chris and apologize to him about the past! Maybe we can connect again and get back together or at least become close friends again...but that text kept reappearing in my mind. Should I risk it? Then Chris' smiling face surfaced from my memories and I knew that I would do anything to be back in his arms. That text was probably a prank anyways. I took a deep breath and replied, "Okay, what time?"
------
I checked my outfit before waiting in line. I already took an hour to prepare myself for this "date". I had to make this night perfect. I rated my outfit decent and plastered a smile on my face. "Next!" the ticket seller called and I stepped up to the kiosk. "Dark Knight Rises, 9:30 pm please," I said. The ticket seller did not reply. I looked up. He was scrutinizing me carefully with a creepy grin that looked like a frown at the same time. His eyes caught my attention. They were pitch black. He quickly looked away when he caught me staring at him. "Hm...it seems like there's only two seats left. You are one lucky young lady, hurhurhur" His chuckle had a deep rumbling to it, which sent chills down my back. I said, "Okay...then I'll buy two then." Chris and Robert still didn't arrive yet...so I hope Robert has an extra ticket. He handed me the tickets and stared me directly in the eyes. It felt like he was staring right into my soul. I shivered and started towards the movie hall. I called Robert to tell him that I only had two tickets left. Ring...ring...ring...no answer. Why would he not answer my call? Maybe his line was busy. I left him a text and went into the movie theater alone.
The commercials were still playing. I scanned the seats. There seemed to be nobody except this one guy sitting by himself in the middle. Didn't the ticket seller say that there were only two seats left...? I shrugged to myself and chose an empty row to sit in. As I settled into my seat, I felt a cool breeze blow through my hair. I looked around and suddenly saw Chris sitting next to me, grinning.
"H-how did you get here so fast? I just came in, and I didn't see you!" I stammered. "What are you talking about? I was right behind you!" Chris said cheerfully. I looked behind him. "Where's Robert?" I asked. "Who's- Oh, he's home," Chris answered, not looking me in the eyes. "Shhh let's focus on just me and you watching the movie." I was starting to get suspicious. What is going on? But I waved off my instincts and kept my eyes on the screen. A few minutes later, he took my hand and held on to it. I froze, partly because we weren't dating anymore and because his hand was ice cold. I didn't say anything, but I kept thinking to myself...why is his hand so cold if the weather outside is scorching hot? A text vibration ran through my pants pocket. I unclasped my hand from his and clicked on the text.
It was from Robert. Oops, can't make it, sorry for contacting you so late! I forgot that I already had plans to go bowling with Chris and others. I read through the text three times. If Chris was bowling with Robert, then who was this guy next to me? I slowly looked up from my screen. He was carefully watching my every move, and his face slowly transformed from cheerfulness to one of wickedness. His eyes turned pitch black, just like the ticket seller's. "Too soon," a demonic voice that wasn't Chris came out of his mouth. He reached his hand out and placed it on the left of my chest. My eyes widened in horror as a gripping, sucking feeling went through my chest. The pain reached to an unbearable point. The last thing I saw before blacking out completely was a beating human heart in his hands, as he started to devour it. My heart.

A movie called Painted Skin inspired me to write this. I hope that people will get a chilly, eerie feeling from reading this piece. It is my first ever horror story, so I hope you guys enjoy it.

WritingWords BRONZE, Chicago, Illinois
1 article 0 photos 1 comment

Thank you so much! This was just the motivation I needed to hear. :) Share it with your friends!

dreamer3 SILVER, Edmond, Oklahoma

Everything happens for a reason even if you don't know what that reason is.

I loved it.