He Came In The Night | Teen Ink

He Came In The Night

July 10, 2012
By polar-icecap DIAMOND, Sioux Falls, South Dakota
polar-icecap DIAMOND, Sioux Falls, South Dakota
57 articles 20 photos 14 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Angels don't even come close to you!"


I heard the tap, tap, tap on my window. I could feel his eyes scanning the line of windows. I could almost taste his satisfaction about what he was about to do. First, he climbed to the balcony, no simple feat, considering it took a good amount of jumping to even reach the first window ledge. It was like that for a reason, after all. Next, her scaled the siding, griping the wood planks for balance. My room was on the fourth floor. My sisters on the third. Please don't stop on her floor. Please don't. It's either that he didn't come for my sister, or he had read my mind, for he had passed up her floor. There was only one thing above me; the roof. So, unless he was scaling so he could jump, I had a feeling I was the target. But, I could feel his hesitation to go to my floor. I could feel his movements, shifting to either climb up or down. His mind computing his next move. He thinks for a minute. More than a minute. It's too long. By this time I could have reached the phone, but I am paralyzed by fear. Fear that he could hear, and come for me. Fear that he could hear and take my sister instead. Fear that he would run and get away, then return on a night when he would not be so easily predicted. So I sit. Waiting for the inevitable. Finally, he makes up his mind. But before I can scream, he crashes through a window. I look towards mine, and see no broken glass. That's when I hear my mother's bloodcurdling scream as he disappears with her into the night. I run down two sets of stairs and across the hallway. Inside I find a ransom note. Only it isn't addressed to my father, it's addressed to me. Inside is what I can only hope is my worst nightmare. Inside is only three words.

I WARNED YOU