Love for A Stranger (Part 5) | Teen Ink

Love for A Stranger (Part 5)

By teenbookworm14 PLATINUM, Plainfield, Connecticut
teenbookworm14 PLATINUM, Plainfield, Connecticut

"Nothing gold can stay" -Robert Frost

“It's official then, he likes you.” Addison stated for probably the seventh time as we walked towards the parking lot.

“Ugh. Oh! My! God! Addison! He just returned a book to me. That's all, okay? He was just being nice,” I exclaimed, annoyed that Sarah was reading so much into it, but secretly pleased because she was usually always right about these sorts of things.

“Sarah, you're pretty, beautiful even, you're a junior, you are ah-mazing at basketball, and he's a guy, a hot guy but a guy nonetheless, and guys do not return books to pretty girls without a reason. You're telling me that him offering to give you lessons means absolutely nothing?” Addison stopped walking and started at me with her eyebrows raised, as if daring me to contradict her.

I opened my mouth to say something completely off topic since we both knew she was right but that was when all my thoughts scrambled and became incoherent because I had glanced over her shoulder and saw a figure walking towards us.

“What is it?” She asked, turning around at the same time.

“Hey” he said casually as he stopped a few feet in front of us.

“Umm, hello” I managed to say.

Addison looked at both of us back and forth and then gave me a pointed look which I interpreted in friend-speak. “Oh I'm sorry, Addison this is...” I trailed off, only just realizing I didn't know his name.

Stupid, stupid, stupid. I mentally slapped myself.

“Hi, I'm Connor” he reached out his hand and Addison took it, flashing him a flirtatious smile. He returned it.

“So, uh, Connor, did you want to talk to me about something?” I asked curiously, leaning towards him to speak while trying to divert his attention.

“Yeah, actually it was about our date this weekend, 5 o'clock sound good?” He asked encouragingly.

Date? What date? Did he really say date?

“Sure?” I blurted out.

He handed me a piece of torn paper. “Here's my number so you can text me your address, I'll see you around. Bye Addison. Sarah.”

He nodded at Addison and when he said my name we made eye contact for a few seconds longer and it felt like my insides were melting and I couldn't breathe. Then he was gone.

“Well, that was interesting” Addison said.

“He's hot Sarah, really hot, too hot for you.” She added. I playfully pushed her away and we both giggled.