Zerg Part 2 | Teen Ink

Zerg Part 2

July 10, 2012
By hannaenchiladas PLATINUM, Hudsonville, Michigan
hannaenchiladas PLATINUM, Hudsonville, Michigan
37 articles 8 photos 2 comments

The woods were dark and silent. I couldn’t see anything. My heart was pounding and I felt jumpy. I walked a few feet and spread my arms out to see if I could feel anything. A few more steps, nothing. ‘Crunch’ In mid-step I froze, hoping I was far enough from the wall so the guards wouldn’t hear it. ‘Crunch’ Frozen I heard the noise again, not knowing where to run if a creature jumped out at me, I slowly turned around. I screamed. There was this big black thing in front of me. I couldn’t make out what it was but I knew it was a monster. I screamed once more and just stood frozen in fear. The monster stepped forward and almost grabbed me, I swerved around it and started to run. I don’t know where I was running to but I could hear the monster following me. Jumping over a log in the pathway, I looked around trying to find the wall. I saw many lights and knew the guards heard my shouts. The monster wasn’t following me anymore so I stopped running.

Where to hide was the question. If the guards found me I’d be dead and I really don’t want to die. I walked around the area I was in and saw a big bush. The guards were now running in my direction. Not knowing what to do I jumped in the bush. I could hear the heavy breathing and footsteps of the guards. Willing to peek out of the bush, I saw five guards standing there. If I stayed quiet they’d leave so I could get home.

“I heard it coming from over here,” one of the guards said.

“Well, where is the person who screamed,” another said.

“I swear it was coming from here!”

I fidgeted and a twig broke which was just my luck. The guards scurried over and shined the flashlights at the bush. One of them moved some of the branches and saw me. My heart stopped and I knew my mom would kill me.

“Get her out of that bush,” one yelled. Two guards grabbed my arms and lifted me off the ground. “Let’s bring her to the president.”

“No sir. We have to question her first,” another guard said.

“Good idea, Harry,” one of them yelled. “What’s your name?”

I shook my head and said, “I can’t tell you that.”

“Well, then girl, you might want to rethink that,” Harry said. “Why are you out here in the restricted woods?”

I wanted to scream and shake my head but I didn’t. “I got lost in Pipe Works and walked out here. I couldn’t see so I started to scream and when I heard footsteps I thought it was a monster so I hid in a bush.” Good enough, I thought.

“Well, what brought you into Pipe Works? No one under the age of 16 can go in,” Harry replied.

“Um... I am 16.” I don’t think another lie could hurt, I thought.

“Really? You don’t look 16. Girl if you lie at any moment and we find out, your life is at stake. So what’s the truth,” Harry said, pacing in front of her.

“I’m thirteen, okay? I wondered where this map lead I found in my attic. So I followed it out here and I was at a dead end. I walked around here and saw something and screamed and you guys showed up. I know that I made the wrong choice to come out here, I know that there’s zero tolerance for crossing the wall. Trust me, I know that my life is at stake,” I sighed, taking out a crinkled piece of paper from my pant pocket.

Harry grabbed it and unfolded it. His eyes got big and round, “Guys, this looks super familiar.” He handed it to one of his companions who nodded with agreement. “Where did you find it again?”

“In the attic of my house.”

“Really...”

One of the guards walked up to Harry and handed him the map. He whispered something in Harry’s ear and silently walked back to the other guards.

“Who is your dad, girl?”

“I don’t know. My dad is dead. He has been for as long as I can remember. My mom won’t tell me how he died.”

“Weird, I knew a man who died before his wife had their child. He was a great man, he was. Risked his life for me and some other guys. His name was Carl Bealer, any relation,” Harry asked, messing with the map with his fingers.

“All I can say is my last name is Bealer,” I choked.

Harry stared at me before motioning the other guards to grab my arms once again. The guards brought me back inside the wall and told me I was going to visit the president. They lead me into a dark room and told me to sit, I obeyed. The light’s flickered on and the door opened to reveal the president. His hair was gray and he had a beard down to the end of his neck. His skin was rough and wrinkled and he looked very tired.

“What now Harry? Can’t you tell I need my sleep,” the president asked, keeping his eyes on me. “Who is this young lady?”

“We don’t now Mr. President. That’s why we’re here,” Harry replied, sheepishly.

“Ah.”

“We found this girl in the woods, sir. She was hiding in a bush. She also has a map of the Pipe Works.”

“What? How is that possible? Carl made two copies, I have one and you have one. How did she get one! Little lady, where did you get that?” The president looked mad and I knew this wasn’t a game.

“Well, I found it in my attic in a big box,” I whispered.

“What’s your name?”

“We don’t know, sir. All know is that she’s a Bealer,” Harry answered.

“I wasn’t asking you, stupid,” the president roared. “Your a Bealer?”

“Yes. Aussie Bealer, sir,” I replied, my face started to burn with embarrassment.

“The daughter of Carl Bealer?”

“I don’t know. I never met my father and my mom never talks about him.”

“Is your mom Jenny?”

“Yes.”

The president’s face fell and he stared into my eyes. He looked mad and surprised at the same time. He turned to Harry and whispered something. Harry looked at me and nodded.

“Come with me Aussie,” Harry said, putting out his hand.

I didn’t grab it or anything, I just shoved past him and walked out the door.

“Aussie, you don’t understand.”

“What don’t I understand, sir,” I yelled at Harry, the streets were dark and I couldn’t see.

“I don’t know.”

“Exactly,” I yelled and ran off, Harry trailing right behind me. His breath was loud and he suddenly stopped. I just kept running and running.


The author's comments:
Part Two of my unfinished story Zerg. It's a little fast paced and not very realistic at all, but mind you I wrote this three years ago.