Silence That Will Never be Broken | Teen Ink

Silence That Will Never be Broken

By bandgeekfreak DIAMOND, No Answer, Texas
bandgeekfreak DIAMOND, No Answer, Texas

“A musician must make music, an artist must paint, a poet must write, if he is to be ultimately at peace with himself.” Abraham Maslow.

I open my mouth to scream as loud as I can, but before any sound comes out water rushes in, leaving me noiseless. Unable to scream I panic and try to swim. I know it’s no use, but I have to try. The more I struggle the stronger the current takes me. With every stroke forward, this demon pulls me ten feet back. Tears of frustration well up in my eyes making it hard to see as the freezing water rushes into my mouth, eyes, and nose. Spluttering I feel something brush against my ankle. I try to swim away, but between the relentless current and pounding waves I can’t move very far. The sleek skin of this unknown monster brushes my ankle again and I try to cry out. I want help, help from anybody, this isn’t how I want to die. I can feel the cold seeping into my bones, making my muscles tense up. Pain suddenly shoots through my leg, wracking my body. I look down and see a cloud of red spreading slowly through the water. A scream rips through my chest, piercing the silence, as my brain slowly puts two and two together. This isn’t how I want to die; this isn’t how it’s going to end. Tears pour down my cheeks as I feel my brain slowly stopping. The black clouds above me seem to be spinning, and the edges of my vision start to blur. Blackness clouds my brain as the pain overtakes my body. My struggling slowly subsides, as my head starts to slip under the uneven black surface. Ice water fills my lungs, but the pain is all I can feel. My body slowly stops moving, and I feel my soul slipping away like a ghost. Silence fills the water, silence that will never be broken.