Nightmare or Reality | Teen Ink

Nightmare or Reality

By kdummler BRONZE, Commack, New York
kdummler BRONZE, Commack, New York

There I was walking down the stairs, being sucked into the dark room. There were all sorts of creeks and cracks, what was to come next I didn’t know. I was unaware what I was doing there I just knew that I was looking for something I just don’t know what. I got the chills, a cold breeze. Something was following me.

I heard a GRAWL and slowly turned around. Nothing, absolutely nothing was there! I continued to walk, I could not see more than a few feet in front of me. There it was again. Another “grawl,” as a slowly turned around there it was in front of me. I couldn’t make out what it is all that I know is that it’s was big and hairy.

Then I woke up. I did not recognize where I was. I was in a white room surrounded by people wearing white masks. I slowly spun my head to see if I recognized any of the people around me. None of which I can recall seeing any of their faces before, except for one. I do not know where I remember him from but it was a face that I have seen before and wouldn’t forget. He had a scar stretching from his ear down to his lip, and a big birthmark just next to his nose.

“She’s awake!” He said causing everyone to turn. All eyes were on me. I lay there and just stared at them for a moment before he continued, “how do you feel?” How do I feel what do you mean how do I feel I feel just fine I thought to myself. I just wanted to know where I was and why it was that I was unable to go home. I don’t know what I am doing ere and just need to get back to work.

“I feel fine,” I replied. There was no response. “Where am I?” I continued. Still no response, so I asked again, “Where am I?” No one answered I asked this again with my voice raising and getting a little more furious. “Where am I?” They continued to stare at me and whisper to each other. What are they saying to each other that they are unable to say aloud, I thought.

As some of them started to slowly exit the room, I pulled the one with the vaguely familiar face. He stopped walking, and waited for all of the others to leave the room. After everyone else left he turned to me and stared just as everyone had done before.

“Where am I?” I asked with confusion I my voice.

“You really don’t remember who I am do you?” He replied.

”I recognize you I…I just don’t know where from.”

“I…I am,” he stuttered. I have never felt the way that someone feels until this point. He was speaking almost as if he was guilty of something. “I umm I am you father.”

I was shocked to hear these words come from his mouth. I haven’t seen my father for 13 years. How was I able to remember his face I thought? The tears began to accumulate in the bottom of my eyes. My father was never there for e before what is he doing here now?

My voice filled with sorrow I asked, “Where am I and what are you doing here…you were never there for me before you at least owe this to me now.”

He pulled a chair up next to the bed as if he wanted to have a long conversation with me, although I was not interested in doing such of a thing. As he slowly opened his mouth to speak he said, “You are in the hospital, you were attacked last night.”

Attacked! I was not attacked! Then I looked down at my body, cuts, scratches and scars covered my body. What happened to me? I don’t remember anything, I thought that this man was insane and had no idea what he was talking about until he continued and said, “I saved you.”

Saved me? Saved me from what! This had to be a terrible nightmare I thought. This man could not be my father! I could not have been attacked! This is all a bad dream! This denial was staring me in the face, how could a man that I don’t even know save me, it just makes no sense.

“What do you mean, ‘you saved me?” I waited for his answer and though, Oh this should be good.

“I heard a scream. I started running. When I got to the location that the scream came from there you were. When I saw you lying there on the flood covered in cuts and bleeding…my heart just broke. I couldn’t imagine what had happened to you. I walked over to you slowly; as I got a little closer I saw two eyes of some sort of animal. I didn’t know what it was. I slowed down and stepped on a stick and this huge wolf jumped out at me. I knew I had to get out of there, but I also knew that I had to get you.” He paused then, he continued. “I knew that I was going to have to slowly approach you with the wolf just stand just beyond you. When I finally reached you I lifted you just under you arms and began to you up to put you over my shoulder. Just as I was about to lift you the wolf jumped at me scratching at my face then running away. Once it got some distance on us I lifted you and continued to carry you all the way here, to the hospital.”

“You really did save me! You never cared about me before, what made you start caring for me now.”

“I never stopped caring for you!”

“But you left me.”

“Yes I did leave you, there is no taking back that and you have the right to be upset with me for leaving.”

“Be upset with you! You saved my life if you never came and saved me I probably wouldn’t still be there right now.”

“The nurses asked me to leave, I refused because I wanted to be able to get the opportunity to apologize to you for leaving you and you mother. I have started talking to you mother again, I wanted to come back to see you again and be part of your lives but she did not want to put all of this on you. She said that you have grown up and that you do a lot of investigation work and that the last thing that you need is another distraction with all that you have...”

The nurses walked in the room again. “Visiting time is over it is time for you to leave she needs her rest, come on lets go.” He, my father, got up and began to exit the room. He never once looked over at me as he was leaving. He looked straight ahead with his head held high almost as though he had just accomplished something. In my eyes he has accomplished nothing. He is just a man who saved me, that doesn’t take back for what he had done to my mother and I to begin with.

My bed suddenly began to roll. “Where am I going!” I screamed at the top of my lungs to ensure that I got an answer this time.

The nurse standing right next to my face looked me straight in the eyes and said, “Time for surgery sweetie,” with an evil devilish look on her face.

“AHHH!” I woke up screaming! What just happened! That was one messed u dream, I though as I rolled over and went back to sleep.