I'm Not Crazy

I feel so alone. It’s so quiet, too quiet. How long have I been in this room? An hour? A day? A week? I don’t know, the men took away my time-keeper. I miss that time-keeper. I miss its pink leather surface. I miss the minute hand twitching every few seconds, like my goldfish did when I tried to pet him. My dad gave that goldfish to me. And that time-keeper, which had kept me company with its tocks and ticks. Or was it ticks and tocks? Well it still was some fine company, better then the voices at least.

But the men had taken it away. My chronometer, my only source of time in this room and they took it. But they said it was for my own safety. In return for my watch they gave me these cozy little hand warmers and this fitted jacket. The only thing is it’s so fitted I can’t even move my arms. I guess that’s for my safety too. I don’t know why I need to be safe though. I was fine where I was, in my safe box next to McDonalds. But enough about the past, let’s think about...

Wait how did I get to this room again? Oh yeah, those sweet men led me here to this room holding my hands so I wouldn’t get lost. The room has a cushy white chair that matches the walls and the floor. How stylish. The men had told me to sit in the chair and I did. And I still am. They told me to wait. They told me that they were coming back and I believe them. I mean, why wouldn’t I?
You know what, while I wait I’ll count the tiles on the ceiling. 1... 2… 3… 4…

Man it’s so lonely in here! Even the voices stopped talking to me. I’m sorry voices I didn’t mean to hurt you. Please don’t be mad I was only…

Oh noodles! I forgot the muffins in the oven this morning! Oh yeah, I told those men already and they said they’d already taken them out. Those men were really nice. I wish they’d come back now. I’m so lonely.

Ugh… I’m so hungry. I haven’t eaten in a while and now I’m starving. I could eat a cow! Oh… That doesn’t sound that bad. I’d love a big Mac from McDonalds; a yummy-big-juicy-burgery-lettucy big Mac. During the night I used to go into McDonalds through the door and get a big Mac. I wonder why it was always empty when I went. And the workers never took my order, so I got my own. They were probably on break that’s why. Ugh… thinking about food isn’t helping my aching stomach. Poor stomach. He’s probably real hungry just like me. Wait, why do my feet look like hamburgers?

Man I feel like I’m going crazy. But I’m not crazy. Even though the people who walked by on the street said I was nuts. Hey, squirrels like nuts. Whenever they see nuts they go crazy. But I’m not crazy. Even though the homeless man across the street said I was nuts. Oh, squirrels like nuts! Whenever they see nuts they go crazy. But I’m not crazy…

AndriaStar said...
May 2, 2012 at 8:59 am
Very nice. I hope your not crazy.... :)

cayaTW This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
i really loved it.  i thought you did a good job moving from one train of thought to another.  it was crazy.