Stream Runners | Teen Ink

Stream Runners

By Perri BRONZE, Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
Perri BRONZE, Oklahoma City, Oklahoma

"When life gives you lemons, keep them. Because, hey, free lemons!"

(Not indented = flashback)

I warned him, telling him that he was close to the edge. I should’ve known better than to take to such a dangerous place. The rocks were too slick; I knew that. It was an isolated area that only we knew about; we both knew that.

The lights inside the hospital were blinding me. It wasn’t like I did not have enough stress already, knowing it was my entire fault.
“It’s just water, what could happen?”

I kept thinking of what he said, “What could happen…? What could happen…?” Oh, I don’t know, maybe this? I wish Ray hadn’t had asked that.

The car led to a stop; parked on a lonely, red dirt road. We were surrounded by odorous pine trees. Our car doors were opened. Getting out of the car was brief; we had nothing to bring.
With the smell infesting our senses and the neutral temperature of the air, our spirits rose. The ground covered with drizzle had given the grass a cool, yet warm feeling. Walking barefoot wasn’t a problem. The soft soil below our feet felt like a deep tissue massage that had the same affect each second.
“Are you up to this, Ray?”
“I don’t know, are you?” he replied.
Ray is my non-stop troublemaker, “bad-boy” cousin. He was sent to military school and ran away. His parents don’t know about it; this military school wasn’t very secure. The teachers and educators haven’t had any notice of his absence (or so his friend says).
“Just follow me,” I commanded. I knew the way. I’ve been here so many times, I couldn’t count. I knew which river to follow.
The stream was running more rapidly than usual. My best guess was that it rained severely enough to cause the stream water to rise. Maybe this wasn’t a good idea.
We ran along the stream, the water toppling on more water below rock ledges. With an abundance of excitement of running and hanging out among, it felt like my true hearth being there.
I came to a stop.
“Persephone?”
I didn’t reply. I was frozen. I saw someone lurking behind some of the trees. Were my eyes playing tricks on me?
“Er, Persephone? What’s wrong? You better not be playing with me!” Ray stated clearly. He absolutely hates it when he gets messed with.
“Yeah. Sure, I’m fine. I just thought I saw...” I trailed off.
“Sure you did. Lead on m’lady!”
I was still a little frazzled about it. Ray was never scared. I had him there to be my guard. He was still walking, so I guess he wasn’t frightened. I guess I had nothing to worry about either.
A rustle was heard. The near-bottom needles of trees were shaking. Was this “stalker” crawling? How very odd…
“Hey, Persephone. Is the water cold?” He asked with a smirk.
“What crazy idea do you have now?” I asked knowingly.
“Well, I’m going to take a dip in the water! What else would I do?”
“I guess I’m afraid you might take a drink from it,” I replied sarcastically.
“I’m sure it would taste like strawberry candy!”
“You can think that all you want,” I replied. He better not drink that water.
He smiled a large grin. His teeth were perfect, which was ironic, because he’s been away from home for a few weeks. His eyes directed away from me and his beam faded to an unsure frown. His eyes were widened and bold, almost as large as a tarsier’s eyes were. Something had caught his attention and wanted it.
“What’s wrong?” I inquired worriedly.
“Let’s hurry up, spend our free hour at the “special” ledge, and then get out of here, okay?” he said quivering.
“Sure.” I shuttered.
We walked with our heads turning at every little detail in sound and sight. We acted as if we were both two, even though he was eighteen and I was sixteen.
“Okay, stop! We’re here. Now be careful, it can get dangerous around here,” I stated as I saw the ledge.
“It’s just water, what could happen?” Ray asked; almost as if he absolutely knew there was nothing wrong.
Ray stepped in front of me and climbed up the slippery ledge. He let down his hand for me to hold, and pulled me up. I really didn’t need the help, but I took it anyways. My foot flew out from under me. I screamed quietly. “Oh, my gosh!” I exclaimed.
Ray rolled his eyes. “I think you just fell,” he said with a smirk.
“I think so, too. How very coincidental,” I joked.
He lifted me up and didn’t put me back down.
“Er, Ray…? Are you going to put me down or what?”
“Nope,” he answered.
“Then what are you doing?” I said, surprised.
He beamed again. “I’m going to throw you into the water,” he said playfully.
And before I knew it, I was in the cold, turbulent water. It was pretty shallow, so I had no problem getting out. The dirt below felt like an abundance of small, sharp rocks were gouging my feet. I thought, “Darn! I got my clothes and hair wet!”
“What’d you do that for?!” I yelled surprisingly; not angrily.
I looked up; Ray wasn’t there.
“Ray?! Are you there? Stop fooling around! This isn’t funny at all!”
There was silence- complete, empty silence.

I climbed out of the stream and yelled for him again. I checked my pockets for my phone, but it was gone. I needed it for this very moment. I went back into the stream, and waded around to find my phone. I could barely see with all the dirty water in my eyes, so I felt around. I touched a smooth, flesh-like object. Feeling around some more, I realized that this object was a human. I wiped my eyes, and saw that it was Ray.
His eyes were closed, and his mouth was gaping. He didn’t look alive. “Oh my gosh! Help! Someone!” I was terrified.
I checked my other pocket, and sure enough, my phone was in there. I just feel like I’m a dope sometimes. I dialed 911 and waited for someone to pick up. I looked at Ray again, a large bruise was forming on his forehead. I heard something come in from behind me, and a large “whooping” noise. I blacked out.

I looked at the person next to me in their bed. It was Ray; he looked like he was asleep and dreaming like a six year-old. A man with a white, long jacket came in. He looked at Ray as if he was dying.

“Oh my gosh,” I thought. “What happened?! Is he dying?!”

My heart was racing. It felt as if it was going to burst out of my chest.

I looked over at the screen with his heart rate on it. It was steady; just as normal as it could be. Then Ray turned on his side, faced away from me. I looked his heart rate again. A still line came across the screen as straight as a ruler’s side.

I began to cry.
There was a notepad on the side-table. I grabbed it.

It quoted, in Ray’s handwriting, “Chris, I’m so sorry.”

Ray had an aneurism that killed him. I know he didn’t fall off. I know someone was there. I know he pushed him off. I know he hit me.

I wish Ray wasn't sorry. That should be my handwriting. It should be my life that had left.

This story was written out of a dream I had about how horrible things happen when good things happen.

Maddie_Rae PLATINUM, Newalla, Oklahoma

I write my life in ink, that way i can still remember the good things, and yet i can never erase my mistakes.

and of course i think its really really really good!!!

Maddie_Rae PLATINUM, Newalla, Oklahoma

You used this one in english class! And posted it! All because I told you too....