Dangerous Dreams/Chapter 5. My Other Half | Teen Ink

Dangerous Dreams/Chapter 5. My Other Half

By Bridie ELITE, Massapequa, New York
Bridie ELITE, Massapequa, New York

She can because she thinks she can.

I heard the clamor of nurses and doctors hustling and bustling around; that’s how I knew I was awake. I sat there pretending to sleep not wanting to be bothered. The medical reports were being muttered back and forth. I couldn’t comprehend whether or not what was being said was a good thing or a bad thing but I knew it was about me. Then the commotion died down and there was silence.

I couldn’t help but feel like someone was watching me. A presence over came me; the missing part that makes me whole; a piece of me that I could never deny attention to ever since the day we were born. I opened my eyes to find everything a blur and a figure at the door. I blinked twice and rubbed my eyes. As the gravely sleep dust rolled off my cheeks she came into full view. Her graceful body leaned against the door way as her soft golden blonde hair fell over the right side of her face. Her powerful arms were folded neatly under her chest and muscular legs crossed at the ankles. Angel kisses lightly flecked over the brim of her nose but her piercing blue violet eyes glared at me as her smooth lips twisted into a scowl.

“You b****!” She slammed the door and walked towards me. I gave her a questioning look but I didn’t have to say anything she knew what I was thinking.

“How dare you! Sure you wake up for him but you manage to sleep through our f****** sixteenth birthday!”

I shot up out of bed and felt my heart jump into my heart, “What? What are you talking about? What date is it?”

She rolled her eyes and emphasized, “January fourth, wench bag! You woke up just in time for your one year anniversary with your boyfriend but you don’t even bother to wake up for our birthday!”

I gapped at her and she glared at me. I studied her face, her smooth skin creased around her eyes. Other than that her face was a stone, unmoving and frozen. Her eyes were cold like ice; I searched them for something, anything; and then I found it. All at once her shield melted away and we burst out laughing hysterically.

“You should have seen your face! Ha! I really got you this time.” She rolled over on her back in a laughing fit.

“That’s not fair I was barely awake. You nearly gave me a heart attack. So is it really January already?”

“Unfortunately that part was real. You were in a comma for quite some time, three weeks to be exact.”

“Well I’m glad you’re the one to tell me. Mom kind of skipped that part. Did she tell you I was awake?”

She scoffed and rolled her eyes, “No, I told her you were awake; you should know better than that.”

I gave her a sly smile, “Jacky and Abbey, twin telepathy.”

After that we followed the reflection of each other. We tapped our pointer finger to the side of our nose twice and then connect our thumbs in a swooping gesture to make the shape of a bird and finished off with a wink.

Jacky sighed, “You would think that would be a bit childish now that we’re sixteen.”

I shook my head, “Not a chance. Ugh!” I flung myself onto the bed and Jacky gave me a puzzling look. I sighed and replied, “It’s just so weird that we’re sixteen. We’re sixteen! Oh heaven’s” I shot up and grabbed her hands, “Did you get your permit? Wait, what did you do on our birthday? Please don’t tell me you stayed here all day and watched me sleep.”

She rolled her eyes and shoved me playfully, “No, even though I wanted to I did not.

“So what did you do?”

“Oh, I didn’t do anything too special. I came here and had breakfast with you. Then Abigail came in and started telling me that she had a deal to make with me. She told me I could wait to get my permit with you as long I went with her and didn’t protest. But I said I would rather stay with you. Then she gave me that deadly dagger eyed glare of hers and claimed I had left her no choice, she called out and JD, Lila, and Juliette came in. Before I knew what they were doing I was gagged and tied down to a wheel chair and rolled out of the hospital. They even rented a white creeper van and had the guys from “What?” drive it.”

My mouth dropped and my eyes were bugging out. “I can’t believe they did that! I mean I love them and all but I think they get a little carried away sometimes.”

“Hey, I’m lucky Abigail didn’t pull a knife out on me.”

I pointed at her, “True that. So where did they take you?”

“Well once we got to the train they blind folded me with the gag and untied me. I asked them where we were going. They said it was a surprise then Abigail insisted if she were to tell me she would have to kill me so I settled for silence. They put my head phones in so I couldn’t hear the announcements. Unfortunately they took pictures the whole time and they’re all over the internet so you can laugh at me later. Anyway they took off the blind fold when they realized it wouldn’t be safe to let me walk right into the gap. The train we took went into the city and you’ll never guess where we went!”

The anticipation was killing I was on the edge of my seat, “Where?”

“All of our friends were standing outside of the theater for The Lion King! They all screamed surprise, I was so shocked. You have no idea how excited I was. Then Mikey came up behind me and whispered, “How’s this for a first date?” Abbey it was so magical; I cried when Mufasa died. We went out to Mars 2112 for dinner it was amazing! We had to take a spaceship to get to Mars which I thought was really cute because it reminded me of when we were little how Mikey and I would hide in the closet and pretend we were blasting off to Mars.” She paused to give me a funny look, “Wait a second; why are you smiling like that?”

I shrugged, “I don’t know.”

She smacked my arm and screamed, “You wench! You knew the whole time and you didn’t tell me?”

“Maybe, so he finally asked you out?”

She smiled as she pushed her hair back, “December eighteenth. I still can’t believe he did all of that for me. Even though everyone pitched in a little here and there it still must have cost him a fortune. He said to consider it a Christmas, birthday, New Years present and our first date. Speaking of New Years he came over and we had our first kiss at midnight!”

I laughed teasing her, “Did you squeal like that when he kissed you too?”

“No I did not thank you very much.”

“What did you get him for Christmas after all of that?”

“There’s no way in Hell I’d be able to top that. I just got him a new art set and canvases.”

“You could always buy him a car.”

“Seriously you are so bad at this.”

I put my hands up in surrender, “Alright, alright. In all honesty I think you should take him to an all 60’s car show. After that go to an old fashioned restaurant with a jut box then dedicate the rest of the weekend to fixing up his car.”

“Hmm, I like it. It’s simple and it’ll be just us; do you think I could find a drive in movie?”

“Well neither of you can drive yet so I think it’s safe to say you have plenty of time to find one.” I smacked my hand to my cheek and gasped, “Oh My Gosh! I missed Christmas and New Years too!”

“You’re only realizing this now?”

“Yeah I was a bit too absorbed into your story to make that connection.”

She gave me a sympathetic smile, “Well the best part of sleeping through the holidays and our birthday is that all of your presents will still be there for you to open when you get home.”

I sighed longingly, “Home, how much longer do I have to stay here for?”

“As long as you start walking and you don’t have any relapses you can go home on the sixth.”

I practically jumped out of the bed, “Well what are we waiting for? Let’s get going.”

Jacky grabbed me right before I fell, “What are you crazy? You’ve barely used a single muscle in your body for three weeks. You can’t just wake up and say, “Hey, I’m all better now let’s go!” If anything you should be in a wheelchair rolling around to get your arms stronger.”

I give Jacky a sly smile, “That sounds like a challenge. Okay I got it today I roll around in a wheelchair and build up my arms. Tomorrow I’ll use one of those walkers after that I can use a cane. Before you know it I’ll be walking out of here footloose and fancy free with no strings attached.”

She tilted her head to the side giving me a look, “I doubt that, but if you’re that anxious to open your presents hopefully this will satisfy you for awhile.” She fished into one of her many purses from her collection; this month’s selection was a Coach bag to match her eyes, “Dad found you wearing it and took it thinking that you might want it instead of it being cut off of you and put into evidence.” She tossed me a triangular pendent on a chain. As I flipped it over to examine it my face turned white. A flaming red arrow went shooting through a blue crescent moon as silver sparks flew everywhere. I dropped it as if it were on fire. My hands began to shake.

“I don’t remember you having something like that but it’s really pretty- Abbey are you okay?”

I stammered in a low whisper, “It’s real.” I barely recognized my own voice.

Jacky looked so worried. “Do you need some water?” A pain started to crawl up my back and wrapped around my chest. I tried to breathe but I couldn’t concentrate. “Oh crap, I think you need that sleep everyone’s been talking about.” Jacky reached over and pressed the call button.

A nurse rushed in, “What’s wrong?”

Jacky held my hand as she explained to the nurse, “I think she’s having an anxiety attack and she’s struggling to breathe.” The nurse instructed Jacky to move and placed an oxygen mask over my face. She then reached for a syringe to sedate me. The last thing I heard was Jacky telling not to worry that I’ll be better soon and good night. She smiled and kissed me on the cheek goodbye.

This chapter is where we are introduced to Abbey's twin sister Jacky. Jacky catches Abbey up on what she had missed when in her coma. At the end of the chapter Jacky has a surprise for Abbey causing an unexpected reaction from Abbey. The other chatecters in this chapter are very funny and add some comic relief as well as drama throughout the rest of the book.