room of darkness | Teen Ink

room of darkness

By laura curtis BRONZE, Templeogue, Other
laura curtis BRONZE, Templeogue, Other

It was a small room really. It was just about big enough to be considered a room. A small window was the only source of light and considering the location, that wasn’t much light at all. The room could have been part of a big house or perhaps a shed but one thing was for sure, the lock on the door would prevent anything or anyone getting in or out. The only noise that was ever heard was the faint chirping of birds. The walls were white and lifeless like a blanket of snow covering every colour in sight. The furniture was limited to a single bed, a sink and a wooden chair.

The room was occupied by only one person. Her name was Anna, second name unknown. Anna rarely moved, just sat around staring at the walls as if she was trying to find a story or a clue hidden inside them. Her pale white, smooth skin appeared ghost like in contrast to her dark coal coloured hair. Anna’s clothes were always the same, a sky blue dress which just about covered her knees. No one would expect the nail bitten, rough hands that Anna had probably because they were constantly wrapped up in tiny fists as if she wished she could fight the world. Although it was cold she refused to wear shoes. Her bare feet were a sign that she did things her way, even if it was in a confined space.

He had kept her there for weeks, possibly months, she didn’t know. He had mentioned his name many times but Anna wasn’t bothered to remember someone’s name who had made her stay somewhere against her will. He never showed his face, only his eyes. The rest of his face was covered in a mask. His eyes were clear blue and every time he caught her eye, she felt like he was looking straight into her soul. He was tall and well built, which was why Anna didn’t fight back anymore. He always wore a white coat as if he wanted to blend into the walls and observe her behaviour. His hands were always busy carrying pieces of paper and pens or sometimes just his glasses which Anna had never actually seen him wear. Because of this Anna called him ‘Glass’. It seemed perfect considering his glassy eyes.

‘Glass’ had never really hurt Anna but he made her feel uncomfortable. He asked her strange questions that were really none of his business. He asked her to eat food when she wasn’t hungry and he wouldn’t let her touch anything without his permission. One day he suddenly became interested in a cut on Anna’s arm. When Anna refused to show it to him, he continued trying until he broke a white bracelet on Anna’s wrist. He must have felt guilty because he got her a new one straight away but it wasn’t the same. Anna couldn’t remember exactly when she had got it or from who but it was the only thing that she owned in the nightmare she was living. She had put up with everything for too long and that really was the last straw. Anna had to get out.

The plan was simple but it had to work. Every day, just before the birds sang, Anna was left alone in her room for a short while. Anna didn’t know exactly how long because she didn’t have a clock but she was able to count to five hundred slowly before she was joined by anyone again. This was going to be enough time to move the chair just in front of the door so when it was opened ‘Glass’ would fall over it giving Anna a split second advantage. Anna set up everything as planned and within seconds she was running out of the room that had erased any memories of life.

To Anna’s surprise as she ran she could just see bed after bed of people wearing what looked like her dress and many people resembling ‘Glass’. They wore the same white coat he did and covered their faces’. Anna turned the corner and nearly fainted with shock. The only thing ruining her plan was a huge padlocked door, destroying her hopes and dreams of the future. ‘Glass’ had finally caught up with her and despite her furious struggle; he pricked her with something sharp. The last thing she could remember was seeing a sign saying ‘psychiatric ward’ and hearing the faint sound of ‘Glass’s’ voice saying “I think we need to increase her medication. With behaviour like this there is no way we can cure her”.