Remember | Teen Ink

Remember

By BrokeBibliophile BRONZE, N/A, South Carolina
BrokeBibliophile BRONZE, N/A, South Carolina

"Whoever said 'the early bird catches the worm' just proved the worm should have slept in." -unknown

You never really think about life 'till it's changed forever with no hope to change back. Everything that happens to you is just the daily routine, nothing more, nothing less, until you realize you accidentally turned your life into a train-wreck. You don't even get a conscious choice in the matter- you say or do one thing, and there's no delete button. You can't actually take anything back.

That's what happened to me and my best friends. It was all fun and games 'till somebody disappears, or someone gets put in the hospital, or someone suddenly can't talk. Things that can't be explained start to happen, and you don't know what to believe. All you know is that you made a wrong choice, and you don't know what happened, you don't even know you made a choice.

Me and my friends-we were the ordinary freaks of High School. Not that strange, but not the social norm.- we were pretty enough, but we had our heads stuck in books instead of magazines about hot guys; we studied instead of partying. We were the boring people- until the day we weren't.

I still remember every little thing about that day- the names people called us, the way the Culinary kids were walking out and one of the boys ran into Kaya (not-so-subtly passing her a note), The front page of the schools newspaper, the smell of sweat coming from the cheerleaders that you could smell even under the layers of perfume they were wearing, the nod that Tanya (an ordinary freak like us) sent our way during study hall. And I remember exactly what changed our lives forever.

It was just as we were climbing into Emily's car that I saw it, a scrap of fabric on the wire fence that surrounded the track. I couldn't help myself-I always had a thirst for information- and I ran over to grab it. By the time I got back to the car my my friends were all just as curious as I was, so I showed it to them.

It wasn't anything that interesting by itself-just a piece of silky fabric that had probably torn of someones shirt when they jumped the fence to skip school(what does the school system expect when they only take role first and last periods)- except for the fact that the white piece of fabric was covered in dried blood. As soon as I identified it Kaya gasped and her large brown eyes grew even larger, if that was possible, before pulling her hand away from the lace edge she had been rubbing between her fingers.

I'm going to come out and say this- our school isn't poor necessarily, but we certainly don't have people running around wearing silk and lace, which makes you wonder just who was wearing this. Certainly not someone leaving school, and lets face it, who would sneak into a school they hadn't snuck out of?

Emily is majoring in Forensics, so of course she demanded we try to find out whose it was. None of us had anything better to do, so of course we all said yes. That was my unconscious moment of change. Either that or getting the cloth, but I can't change that now.

I'd like to say we were smarter than the stereotypical girls that dissapear or die, and i'd like to believe it, but I honestly don't remember much past that point. I remember flashes of Kaya, her African-American skin gone paler than i'd ever seen it before, Emily, wounds covering her face and torso, the red staining her blond hair, and waking up to my mom saying "Where have you been? We've been so worried! Where is Kaya?", and finding Kaya's shirt in my closet, covered in blood.

I remember not being able to talk. I still can't talk, Emily's still in the hospital in a coma, and Kaya's still missing. I can't tell anyone my story, so i'm writing it.

I regret what i remember, but if theres one thing i've learned, it's this- don't take life for granted. You don't value it 'till it's gone, and by then- it's to late.

This is my first Teen Ink piece, so please tell me what you think! good? bad? what were you thinking? let me know!