Blackout | Teen Ink

Blackout

By IreneUribe BRONZE, Bethesda, Maryland
IreneUribe BRONZE, Bethesda, Maryland

Bump! Crack! Wait! What was that? Breathe. Calm down. Inhale, exhale. What’s going on? What’s that sound? Johnny pressed himself against the elevator glass going up to his apartment. He had no idea what had happened, but the lights had just gone out in his building, which never happened. Being stuck in an elevator did not help at all, this being one of the things he dreaded the most. He just stood against the glass with his knees bent and stood staring crack that was formed by the elevator doors. Very slowly he turned around and looked at the view. Why his parents got the top floor apartment was a mystery to him.
From there he could see the whole city light up in the black of night. He could hear nothing at all and the only sound was his own heartbeat and heavy breathing. His paranoia got the best of him so he thought he could already sense the air getting thicker from the lack of oxygen. This was true, however, but it wasn’t happening as fast as he thought it was. He closed his eyes and he could already picture himself falling to his death.
Johnny had never been good at this kind of situations and started imagining the worst. He was alone in a stuck elevator, thing that shouldn’t happen in a brand new building that had two backup generators. He could feel the elevator falling. In his seventeen years of life, Johnny had always been weak of mind and heart.
It’s going to be fine. Don’t be so weak! Why did the lights go out? Once again, breathe. This used to happen at your old place all the time. What are you so afraid of? It’s just a blackout. Only three minutes had passed, but to him it seemed like 50. Suddenly, the lights came on again and the elevator slowly took him through the five remaining floors. When he got out of the elevator Johnny was a little shaken, but most of the trauma had already happened. He walked to his apartment door, opened it, rushed in and flung himself on the sofa headfirst.
Johnny found himself home alone and would stay so for a while. Both of his parents were out of town and, even though he was underage, there was no one to watch him. No brothers, no family, no friends he could stay with. He slowly accommodated himself in a more comfortable position facing the TV. He turned it on and watched the first thing that appeared on the screen. He got caught right on and nothing could disturb him.
Suddenly, everything went pitch black. There was absolutely no light coming from nowhere and Johnny just sat petrified, dreading the possibilities. He kept staring at the spot where the TV should go, yet he could not see it. His eyes were wide open and he dug his nails into the sofa with all his strength. He tried to get accustomed to the dark, but all he could see was nothing.
One, two. Breathe. No! This can’t be happening. Not again. Please. I can’t see! You have to go through this. You have! Oh crap! It’s just another blackout. Johnny reached into his pocket and took out his cell phone. Before he could, he heard a prolonged, strange, croaking sound. Immediately he stopped and turned pale. He quickly used his cell phone to show his surroundings, but there was nothing there. He needed fresh air.
Slowly he stood up and started walking step by step towards the kitchen. He could only see his feet with the dim light, but it was enough to reach the heavy oak door. Quickly he ran to the window and opened it just enough to let in fresh air. As he opened it, silver moonlight flooded in. He now could see much better and felt better. Johnny left his cell phone on the kitchen table and leaned on it. He took a deep breath and then exhaled loudly.
Suddenly, he felt himself be pushed by and icy gush of wind and fell to the floor. He felt his breath be taken away and his eyes watered. His face hit the cold marble floor and he turned unconscious for a few seconds. As soon as he recovered he tried to catch his breath.
I can’t breathe! What was that? I can’t stand up. Breathe, breathe, breathe goddammit! Is this it? Is this the end? No! Please no. Johnny gasped for air as he clutched his aching chest. His heart pounded and soon he felt his blood reach his throat. He tried to stand up and as he succeeded, he heard the same croak he heard earlier, only much closer, almost on top of him.
He turned around and saw a shadow standing just outside the door. He couldn’t detail it since the shadows and its dark color helped conceal it. But from what he could see, it had three long claws on each hand. It had really long arms which were strong and well built, as the rest of its body. Its back was arched, yet the creature was very tall in spite of that. He couldn’t see its head well, but he could see it had two antennae that moved fiercely, detecting every presence in the room.
Johnny turned around to find something to defend himself from the creature. Before he could, he felt how the creature attacked him and its claws tore his clothes and ripped the flesh off his back. He screamed then fell to the floor. He saw how his blood started forming crimson patterns on the floor and he lay there unable to move. Johnny felt the creature croak on top of him ready to attack him again.
From where he lay, he could see the moon’s reflection on his spilt blood. The light shone and he could feel the end coming. He could feel the cold presence of death on his side already reaching into his heart, ready to take him. Johnny accepted it and closed his eyes. Soon he felt the creature start ripping his flesh apart.

on Feb. 21 2012 at 7:55 pm
IreneUribe BRONZE, Bethesda, Maryland
yeah, you're totally right. I actually wrote this piece like two years ago and I just uploaded without really looking it over, which was clearly something I should've done. :)

on Feb. 21 2012 at 6:05 pm
AndriaGromley SILVER, Hillsdale, Pennsylvania

Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn’t there
He wasn’t there again today
I wish, I wish he’d go away...

It was good, but you need a tiny bit more detail or something, idk. But other than a lack of something, it was ok