Solitary: | Teen Ink

Solitary:

By Tye-Dotz GOLD, Las Vegas, Nevada
Tye-Dotz GOLD, Las Vegas, Nevada

"Ain't no thing but a chicken wing" -Jake Long (the American dragon)

“Tell him.”

“No, I am not going to tell him.”

“Well, why not? this is all your fault in the first place.”

“What? this is not all my fault. don’t blame all of this on me, okay! you were apart of this just as much.”

“I am so ashamed of you Catherine, I really am. blaming me for the mistakes of you own doings.” the young man picked up his latte and drank from it. “What would mother think of this when she finds out?”

“Mother’s not going to think anything, because she’s not going to hear about this. promise me that Michael... right now.” the younger girl leaned across the table with her elbows and held her hand out to her older brother. The older sibling hesitated before taking up his sisters offer.

“Fine,” they linked pinkies. “Although I feel as if we’re too old for this little gesture.”

“We were little kids just a few years ago, Michael. don’t tell me once you hit twenty one you lose all your childhood and become this boring adult?”

The young man leaned forward, “No, Cat. that’s not what I’m saying at all. I just don’t think doing the pinkie swear thing should stay intact anymore.”

The younger girl rolled her eyes and they just sat quietly in the small diner for a few minutes. the question was still in the air though, they both could feel it. no matter what they said they still had to explain to their father the reason why his estate was going to be taken from them in less than forty eight hours. the estate that he’s been working to keep for over thirty years now and finally has it for keeps. the young man spoke first his hazel eyes gazing out into the night from the diner window, “But what do we tell him?”

The young girl knew it was a matter of time before her older brother came to his senses, that this wasn’t just her fault that they were in this together; just like when they were growing up. she would usually scold her brother for her being right but at this moment she could care less, all she wanted to know was how they were going to get their father’s estate back into their hands.

“I wish we were still kids. if we were we wouldn’t be in this mess.”

“Wishing for something that is extremely selfish as that, Catherine, I’m sure father and mother taught you better than that.”

The girl stared at the side of her brothers face, taking in his manly features. she couldn’t believe how much he’s grown in her eyes, “They have but don’t tell me you haven’t thought of it yourself. Michael look at me, this is the only thing we can do It will save us. it will save dad!”

“No.”

“Just listen to me--”

“I am listening to you and what you’re saying is complete rubbish.”

“We haven’t even given it a try, yet! how can you call it rubbish if we haven’t even--”

Her brother snapped his head in her direction and his eyes which were once filled with humor was replaced with fury, “Because every idea you ever have is dim, incoherent, and unintelligent!” the words shot out of his mouth before he could even stop them, people turned and stared at their table, some muttering things to their spouses or younger children, when they were out her slapped his hand over his mouth and stared wide eyed at his younger sister. “Catherine--”

“Forget it,” she shook her head feeling out of place now and wanting nothing more but to run out of that diner.

“No, Cat I really am sorry for going off on you like that.” she looked at her brother who stumbled for words to describe his outburst. He rubbed his brow with his thumb, “It’s just that you can be so,” he searched for a word, “headstrong sometimes. you don’t think before you speak which makes me mad sometimes.”

“That still doesn’t give you a right to yell at me.”

“I know and I’m sorry. forgive me?”

She hesitated a moment, “Fine.”

He smiled, “Okay then.”

Their table was silent and all they heard was the sound of pots and pans in the kitchen clatter and bang on stoves and counters. they suddenly spoke at the same time, “No you go first.” her brother spoke.

“Elders first. you’re older so I think you should go first.”

The young man acknowledged that, “I think we should go with your idea. I mean we did it once before, no one suspected anything and besides dad will have his estate back.”

“Really? you’re actually considering this? but I thought--”

“Not all of your ideas are incoherent, Cat. but this idea,” he nodded. “I’m liking it. all we really have to do is visit you know who and ask him to rewind the clock, go back in time and to that night where we lost the bet. we’ll leave the club early so that we can’t get in anymore trouble.”

“And then we won’t have to worry about any of this mess. You know what, I’m actually proud to call you my brother right now.”

Her older brother raised his now cold latte in the air for a waiter to come. “You said it. now its time to celebrate. we’re not going to screw up fathers estate anymore.”

The two celebrated with pie and plenty of coffee joyful that they had a plan to get their fathers plantation right back. but what the two did not know was that once they walked out of that diner their worlds were already going to be changed. They were destined to get into a horrible car accident set up by their own father who knew all along.

I like that I wrote it. I wrote it. ME. not you... but me.

Tye-Dotz GOLD said...
on Mar. 23 2012 at 10:09 am
Tye-Dotz GOLD, Las Vegas, Nevada

Hey, are you the writer of this piece? No... then don't fret about it.

Tye-Dotz GOLD said...
on Mar. 6 2012 at 3:31 pm
Tye-Dotz GOLD, Las Vegas, Nevada

Thanks for reading.

on Feb. 21 2012 at 6:13 pm
AndriaGromley SILVER, Hillsdale, Pennsylvania

Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn’t there
He wasn’t there again today
I wish, I wish he’d go away...

I'm sorry, you should have at least described the accident or something. I feel that you could have done better.