The Creeper | Teen Ink

The Creeper

January 17, 2012
By Zoey24 SILVER, Williamsport,, Pennsylvania
Zoey24 SILVER, Williamsport,, Pennsylvania
5 articles 0 photos 5 comments

Favorite Quote:
If we judge each other we won't ever have time to love each other!


It was a gloomy fall afternoon, in Lewistown. The sky was filled with dark gray, rain clouds. There was a soft rumble across the sky. The air, so thick and humid, almost makes your mouth dry up. You could hear the dribble, of the rain, fall into the puddles. The soft breeze, whistling making all the rosy red, pumpkin orange, and lemon yellow, leaves flow, lightly to the ground. Kids were scattering from school.

Lindsay ran as fast as she could, down the rugged sidewalk. Her heart raced, pounding against her chest. Hearing all the leaves crush behind her, she tried to run faster. Finally, she arrived at her house. Inside, like lightning, quick, she locked all the windows and doors. Panting, trying to catch her breath, she locked herself in her room.

Lindsay was balled up in the corner. She looked down and saw her hands quivering. She saw goose bumps all over her arms. She thought to herself, who would be following me? Why would they be following me? She sat taking deep breaths. All she knew was that she didn’t want to be alone. She dared not to look out her window. Suddenly, she jumped when she heard the front door open downstairs.

Lindsay slowly peered down the stairs to the foyer. There stood her mom, removing her jacket. She flew down the stairs.

“Mom, I didn’t know you were coming home this early!” Lindsay acknowledged her mom.

Her mom saw the terrified look in her daughter's hazelnut, brown eyes. She knew something was wrong.
“What’s going on?” her mom demanded.
*



*


*


*


*

Lindsay and her mom were in the living room. She tried to explain everything but with every new sentence, there were tears streaming down her face. The crying made her eyes look bloodshot red.

“Mom, I was walking home from the bus stop and there was someone following me!” Lindsay whimpered. “No one ever walks my way. So, I started running and the person started chasing me. I only saw a glimpse of the person but I know it was a man. I ran home and locked all the windows and doors.

Lindsay’s mom couldn’t believe what she was hearing. Her eyes grew wide, as if she saw a ghost.
“Why didn’t you call me or the police? You could have been kidnapped!” her mom howled.

Lindsay sobbed, “I just didn’t know what to do.”

Her mom squeezed her so tightly, almost choking her to death.

“I don’t know what I would have done without you! I think we should call your dad to tell him about this.” She suggested.
*

*

*

*

*

*



While Lindsay’s mom dialed her dad’s phone number, Lindsay hoped he wouldn’t answer, or that the line would be busy. She heard her dad’s deep voice on the other end.

“Hello?” he roared.

While Lindsay’s mom told her dad the whole story, Lindsay waited worriedly, for her dad’s reaction. She heard a gasp on the other end.

“Why didn’t she call anyone? We could have lost her! I’m coming home right now!” he howled.

There was a loud click, as if he slammed the phone down on something hard.

Outside, it had started to pour. The clouds grew thicker. Cars were passing by, splashing water onto the sidewalk. Lindsay and her mom sat, waiting for her dad to arrive. It was so quiet that you could hear a pen drop in the next room. Startled by the key turning in the lock, they both jumped.
Lindsay’s dad didn’t even stop to remove his soaking, leather jacket.

“Lindsay! I’m so glad you’re okay!” he confessed.
He hugged her for a moment, but then he backed away.
“Next time call. That could have been your butt!” he hissed.

Lindsay nodded. “Okay Dad.” She replied.

Her dad looked at her with a worried look. “Did you get the person’s face?” he wondered.

Lindsay shook her head. “No, just a glimpse but I’m sure it was a man.

“Well, was anyone standing around when you stepped of the bus?” her dad asked.

Lindsay looked up at the ceiling as if the answer was going to fall right out of the sky. It hit her.

“There was a man standing by a tree, he was only standing there. I think he was in a daze or something. I don’t really remember where he went though.”

Her dad still eager to know more about this asked, “Do you remember seeing this guy anywhere else?”

Again, it hit her again like a lightning bolt. Lindsay began to get nervous. Sweat trickled down her back. She had remembered seeing that guy at the bus stop for the past few weeks.

“I think he was the one following me. I just realized that he had been at the bus stop, these past few weeks just standing around. He’s always glaring at me, but I never take it in a bad way.” Lindsay wailed.

Her mom and dad looked at each other with shock in their eyes.
Her mom asked, “So you know what he looks like, right?”

“Yes, yes, yes!” Lindsay screeched. “He always wears baggy clothes and a baseball cap! It’s all clear to me now!

Her dad suggested they report the guy and put and end to it all.

“Lindsay, you will be dropped off and picked up from school until we handle this. Do you understand?” her father barked.

“Yes. I understand you clearly.” Lindsay replied.
*

*

*

*

*

*



It was close to midnight. It was foggy and wet. The bumpy streets were covered with puddles of rain. The wind was whistling through the air. The tree branches were swaying back and forth with the wind. The house was quiet. You could hear yourself breathe.
*



*



*



*




*




*
Lindsay tried to do some of her homework, still shaking from the day’s incident. She was hoping that the night would soon be over.

Lindsay woke up to the sweet smell of coffee. She hopped out of bed, put on a sweater, and a pair of jeans. She threw her hair up into a sloppy bun and ran down the stairs with her backpack. Knowing that she wouldn’t be taking the bus, she looked her dad anxiously.

“Are you ready Dad?” Lindsay asked.

“Yea, let’s go.” Her dad said, taking a moment to swallow his coffee.
*



*



*




*




*






The car ride to school was awkward. The car was filled with deep silence.
Lindsay had a hard day at school. She went through all her classes trying not to think about her stalker. She tried talking to her friends without looking scared. It seemed like everyone was staring at her. Like they knew what happened. Lindsay thought to herself, what are they looking at?

Lindsay’s mom pulled up at the main entrance, ten minutes after dismissal. Lindsay gazed out of the window. Every house and parked car seemed to disappear, as her mom raced home to get dinner ready.
Suddenly, Lindsay’s heart stopped. Her face turned white, as if she had just saw a ghost. To her, she did see a ghost. Dressed in the same baggy clothes and baseball cap, was the guy from the bus stop. His eyes met Lindsay as they zoomed pass him. She could see the smirk on his face. She realized that they were passed her bus stop already. She knew where the man was going. He was headed to her house! She looked back as he proudly walked up the path that Lindsay had taken yesterday.
As they pulled into their driveway, Lindsay felt the terror that she felt yesterday.
Without thinking, Lindsay shouted, “ He’s coming Mom! The man! He’s right there!”
Lindsay’s mom dropped her keys.
“Who? Where? Oh, dear! Lindsay go inside and call the police! Hurry! She shouted to the man, “I know you have been following my daughter! What’s it with you people?”
Lindsay’s mom saw the man reach into his pocket to pull something out. She froze in her footsteps as she saw it.
He got closer and closer.
“A gun, a gun, he’s got a gun!” Lindsay’s mom wailed.
The man raised his arm to fire.
“BANG!”
*

*

*

*

*

*
Lindsay stood in the doorway of her house. Her mouth was wide open. Lindsay’s mom stood by her car, looking around. Nearby neighbors started to crowd around. The man was on the ground. The paramedics and police came five minutes later.
“Where did that come from?” Lindsay asked confused.
Her mom just shrugged her shoulders.
Lindsay’s dad came out to the scene.
“Are you guys okay? I saw that guy coming at you and I panicked. I grabbed my shot gun and fired through the window.”
Everyone watched as the man was carried off to the hospital. The police were questioning Lindsay and her family.
“Sorry for him bothering you. Next time, contact us when something like that is going on. Don’t take the law into your own hands.” The officer told them.
“Thank you officer.” Lindsay’s dad replied.
“Have a good day.” The officer waved goodbye as he walked off to his car.
*




*



*




*




*

After a while, the street was deserted. It was a peaceful night. The sky was lit with stars and a full moon. You could hear the chirping of the crickets.

Lindsay knew that she wouldn’t see anymore of that man.

At dinner Lindsay announced with a sigh of relief, “Thank God that’s over.”

They all laughed.

“Now I know not to trust just anyone and I really need a cellphone.”
Lindsay fell asleep thinking about her dad saving them from the creepy man. She went into a peaceful dream knowing that she would always remember what happened that day.