uninvited guests | Teen Ink

uninvited guests

By lisTKM GOLD, Sheboygan, Wisconsin
lisTKM GOLD, Sheboygan, Wisconsin

keep dreaming, because the best is yet to come

His heart was pounding. He was sure that he had seen the doorknob turn. Beck had just moved into his new house, the old man that sold it to him had said that he would be happy and more relaxed here. But now he felt that maybe this wasn’t such a good idea after all.

The man, Mr. Hoover, had owned this house before him and told Beck that it was in good condition and full of memories he had, had, and ,” now,” he said, “it’s time to make your own. I hope you find that this house is very peaceful and the perfect place to get your thoughts and feelings in order.” Mr Hoover had told him that he had taken refuge in this house after his wife had died and over the years the pain had subdued and become more bearable. He woke up here and was at peace with the world, and to Beck that seemed very alluring. Beck wanted to feel the same way, and so he bought it, he wanted to accept the fact that his wife left him because he was so controlling, he wanted to remember what it was like to wake up and just have such an appetite for life, and so he decided that this cottage, on the outskirts of the city would be the best thing that could ever happen to him, to be surrounded by nature and remember that he couldn’t control everything, everyone.

But then he moved in, and at first it was perfect, the nature was very winsome and he felt like a child again, just yearning for adventure, until he began receiving strange phone calls threatening him to leave the house or else. But what else? what could really happen to me? he thought, so he stayed not realizing that impending disaster was about to take control of his life.

A couple days after the first few phone calls he found a peculiar little door in his basement, when he tried to open it, the door wouldn’t budge, it was as if someone had bolted the door shut from the other side. To someone like Beck who always had everything so under control, not being able to open that particular door only ignited his curiosity to want to open it more. Beck’s thoughts were racing through the endless possibilities of what could be on the other side of that door. And then as if of a work of magic there was a phone call, he knew something was wrong, because they knew, the men on the other end of the phone knew, that he had found the door.

“What do you want from me?!” he yelled into the phone.

“Stay away from the door never try to open it, haven’t you learned anything?! Curiosity killed the cat!” the stranger yelled back, and then hung up.

Beck knew that it was no odd or paranoid feeling that someone was watching him. He knew there was someone out there, but what he didn’t know was if he was safe or not.

What do they want with that door? What’s in there? what am I gonna do? Beck knew that they were watching his house but Who were these people? he had no idea what to do, but if they called him to warn him not to try to open that door they must really want it ,they must be willing to go through any cost to get whatever it is. To Beck that all seemed so long ago but it was only last week. And now he was about to possibly die, today could possibly be the last day of his life, now what? Beck didn’t want to die knowing no one would even know where he was , no one lives near this house, the smell of his dead body would be masked by the nature and no one would remember years from now that Beck. Kallen even existed. Then he remembered, 5 years ago he married the most amazing girl in the world, that day she vowed to never let his life go unnoticed, because she would notice it. He took out his cell phone and dialed her number, the police weren’t going to make it to his house on time, the drive would take almost half an hour, the phone rang and she answered on the second ring ,”Hello? Beck?” she asked.

“Yeah, Lyla, it’s me,” he said as he tried not to let his voice crack, and tears welled up in his eyes, “ I just wanted to say I’m sorry for everything, I was stupid.” he said.

“Beck, a- are you okay?” she asked worriedly.

“No, I’m not, there are men that are going to break into my house to take back some money, they might kill me but that’s why I called you I want you to know I’m sorry and I love you, I always have, I just didn’t know how to show it very well.” he tried to explain everything as fast as he could, while he spoke on the phone the men outside his house were trying to get in.

After the phone call that told him to stay away from the door Beck wanted to find out what was in the room with the small door. He figured if they could see him in his house then they would know when he tried to look inside, so he called the one person who might know.

.
.

.

“Mr. Hoover! what do you mean you can’t tell me what's inside?” He was shocked even Mr. Hoover couldn’t tell him what was going on.

“ Why do you want to know?” he asked him.

“Because there are some men that are watching my house and they don’t want me to go near the door or they’ll possibly kill me! this is a matter of life or death please Mr. Hoover I’m begging please tell me!” Beck was beginning to grow impatient.

“ What men? not very many people even know this house is there.” he said.

“I don’t know! I- I thought maybe you could tell me who these men are ,tell me what is on the other side of that door. I can help you if you just tell me.” he said,becoming exhausted.

Mr.Hoover told him that inside that room was his wife’s belongings all of her jewelery and money. All, of her money, their money. He told him that his grandson, Travis, knew what was in the room and he was angry that he got none of it in her will, he hated felt that the money would all go to waste. He got into an argument with Mr. Hoover and he told him that if he didn’t use the money ,Travis would instead. Mr. Hoover told Beck to be careful, Travis was dangerous, and he had just gotten out of prison for attempted murder, Beck couldn’t believe his ears.

But today when he woke up the weirdest feeling arose in his chest a feeling not because he was sick but he felt as if something were going to happen. Beck got out of bed and hesitated to look out the window, he shielded his eyes letting his eyes adjust to the light while rubbing the sleep out of his eyes, and when he peered out into the open, he saw that there behind the trees were men, all in black they were here to take the money they must have found out that he was trying to get information on what was on the other side of the door, of the money, the treasure, of Travis. There were at least 4 men that he could see, Beck went pale and stiff and he could feel adrenaline rush through his body and his eyes widened, he felt a sudden pressure on his chest and he couldn’t breathe. Then one of the men looked up and pointed at the window, they had spotted him and they began to run towards the house. Beck shut the window and locked it as fast as he could, and bolted out of the bedroom door, and down the stairs he shut all the windows locked all of doors, and grabbed tables and all the heavy furniture he could find to bar any entrances into the house. He grabbed his cell phone and ran into the basement as he remembered all of his tools and equipment were in there. He called the police ,”Please help me! There are men outside my house they’re gonna kill me, I don’t know what to do!”

“calm down sir what is your location?” said the operator.

“ 504 Birch-Wood Road ,hurry!!” he hung up as soon as he could, Beck knew that the men were only getting more successful at entering the house. Then he proceeded to call Lyla, his wife.

“What do you mean they’re going to kill you? Who’s gonna kill you?! Beck, if this is your idea of a sick joke it’s not funny-” she screamed.

“ this is not a joke Lyla, you believe me don’t you?!” he asked.

Lyla could hear the desperation in his voice, “yes I believe you how could I not?” she said.

“Thank you, for not giving up on me.” just then his cell phone beeped, low battery. Listen Lyla I have to go my cellphone is gonna die.”

“Be careful Beck, don’t die, please!!” she said.

“I’ll try not to I gotta go bye.” he hung up.

Now Beck was here in his dark, cold basement alone preparing to possibly fend for his life. Beck knew that it was only a matter of time before Travis and the rest of them broke into his house, so he turned to the small door with quaint details, and decided he wanted to know what it was that he was willing to defend. He reached for the doorknob and quickly pulled his hand back. His heart was pounding. He was sure that he had seen the doorknob turn. At first Beck had no idea how to react.

Maybe I’m seeing things, there is no chance in hell there’s anyone in there. Mr. Hoover would have told me if there was another door to the house, right?

And then he heard a faint, whisper coming from the other side. “help, help, help me, please. I’m in here. it’s Jamie.” the voice said.

Beck couldn’t believe it, had they all lied to him, there was a person in his basement which they all neglected to tell him. “ hold on I’ll get you out of there, it’s gonna be okay.” he went to his tool box and took out his hammer and hit the door with all his might, the door became loose and then the door opened, Beck held his breath scared of who would come out of the door. Suddenly a small almost ghost-like girl fell out, shivering and gasping for air. There was a person trapped in his basement, and Beck had been oblivious as to what was happening in his own house. Now not only did he have 4 people upstairs that wanted him dead but now there was a girl who was lucky to even be alive.
Beck didn't know what to do but he knew what he wanted, and that was to stay alive.