A Haunting At Holy Cross Campus | Teen Ink

A Haunting At Holy Cross Campus

January 24, 2012
By TwistedB SILVER, New Orleans, Louisiana
TwistedB SILVER, New Orleans, Louisiana
5 articles 0 photos 4 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Dealing with backstabbers, there was one thing I learned. They're only powerful when you got your back turned."-Eminem


A few years ago on the old Holy Cross campus in the Lower 9th ward of New Orleans, LA. The Holy Cross family was celebrating their Family Day after Hurricane Katrina. It was a dark and cloudy day with the old mildewed buildings towering over the festivities. Everyone was having fun but little to their knowledge a group of students were planning to sneak into the top floor of the Administration building to see if they could see the ghost of Brother Melchior. The boys were able to get away without anyone noticing during the father son basketball tournament. They walked up the rusty and creaky staircase on the side of the building. The door creaked loudly as they walked into the third floor. The stench of mildewing walls was instant. There was no lighting except from the occasional window being opened or broken. The boys heard movement but didn’t see anything. The deeper they went the more they heard and the louder the noise became. As they passed an old Algebra classroom all the books on the floor floated onto the shelves and the ones on the shelves were slammed to the floor. The boys were startled but their curiosity made them keep going. As they were walking toward the broken bookshelf outside the old English III classroom, they heard a dog growl. There was no reasonable explanation for this, at the time there wasn’t any dog on the grounds. But, the stories of Brother Melchior include his dogs. They say they went everywhere with him. Then one of the boys leaned forward pretending to pet a dog. He instantly felt a cold, which we all knew was a sign of a ghost. All of a sudden he felt a great pain on his arm and screamed. This frightened all the boys and they began to run back from the way that they had entered. As they were running they heard a laugh that to them sounded evil. With books flying at them the group of friends was eager to get out, but when they got to the door and tried to open it wouldn’t budge. The boys started to panic as the laugh grew closer and closer. Now it wasn’t only books flying at them, it seems as if anything that wasn’t bolted to the floor was coming at them. Then one of the boys saw a crucifix that was once hung in a classroom. He picked it up and held it forward. At that moment a flash of lightning struck right outside the building and the objects flying fell to the ground, the laughing stopped and the door was released and they were able to get out. When they got outside the boys looked at the one who felt a pain in his arm and he had bite mark from what looked to be a dog. They swore to each other they would never speak of what happened that night. One thing they all agreed on that was surely not Brother Melchoir but they all believed that it was Brother Melchior that saved their lives.


The author's comments:
I wrote this article to tell the story of how me and a few guys experienced something creepy and paranormal at my schools old campus