The Voices

Looking down the barrel of a gun is the most powerful feeling a girl could get. Your heart races and your palms sweat. You wish you could pull the damn trigger before the cops get at the scene, but you can hear the sirens, edging closer and closer.

So you shoot. The girl in front of you goes down, a red stain spreading across her chest. You feel regret, not wanting to go to jail, so you run, into the woods and through the lawns of unsuspecting neighbors. You go somewhere nobody would think you’d run, to your own dang house. The first thing you should do is clean the gun and take a shower, but instead, you lay down, you feel so dang tired, your head feels heavy and you close your eyes.

The next second you hear your name being called and someone banging on your door, Go away, you think, I’m not here. Just go the heck away. The door bursts open and in comes three police officers. Their uniforms clean and ironed. Dang prisses! Get outta my house! Your thoughts spinning around and around, swirling so hard you topple off the couch. “What? I- I didn’t do a thing.” Your voice is surprisingly slurry.
“Girl, you’re drunk, we’ll call your parents at the station.” They take you harshly by the arm, reciting your rights.
At the station, you repeat what happened:
“I- I hated her. She was a… stupid priss. She was ungrateful. And a friken retard. I saved everyone from her hatful words.” Your voice is still slurred; you can tell they can smell the booze on you.
“You knew her?” One officer asks.
“Heck. Yeah. She went. To my school. Her name was Oscar Keith. But now she’s dead. And gone. No need to. Thank me, officer.”

_____________________________________________________

Days go by and you sit in a juvenile cell, people sneer at you, call you names, and want to make you cry out in pain. You sit and wait for your time to come, you got the death penalty. Great. This is how they treat a hero. You Think, Maybe I should’ve killed the whole family of priss-holes.

You don’t understand why your parents won’t see you or your friends hate you. I’m not a murderer. The voices made me. You remember that night when the voices told you that you could be a hero to the world:

“Come on, Astrid, you could rule the world, be a famous person, just merely get rid of the little bug sitting in your way. She needs to go to hell. That’s were her friends are waiting. She wants to leave the human world. You’re helping her.”

You pretended you yourself were thinking it, but you knew it wasn’t you. It was too clear in your head, like a tiny person in your head, telling you right from wrong.

___________________________________________________________

Even now you block the voice out. You don’t want to listen to it, but it has an enchanting power, you need to listen.
“Your friends are waiting for you in hell, Astrid, one sharp bite on your wrist and you’re there. You know you need to leave.”
“I know I need to leave.” You repeat. “I know I need to leave.” Your eyes tear up and the pain in your wrist sharpens.

AriShine This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
This is a creepy story, but creepy in the best way! Nice job.

AndriaStarThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Sept. 28, 2012 at 12:54 pm :
Thanks! Thats what I go for, creepy :)

AndriaStarThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
May 1, 2012 at 8:21 am:
I think im going to make this into a longer short story. I dont like how it ends...

Gerry said...
Mar. 20, 2012 at 3:33 pm:
Cool story!

Mar. 29, 2012 at 8:25 am :
Thank you

KerstynAnn said...
Feb. 9, 2012 at 8:46 am:
I Loved This Story! best one i have read :)

Feb. 10, 2012 at 8:58 am :
Thank you!!!!! hahah I love you so much ;))

Mar. 15, 2012 at 9:03 am :
Kerstyn.... I didn't know it was you... you should post something, write a story or something.

LibbyRenee said...
Feb. 8, 2012 at 8:47 am:
I like the oscar part haha :DD well, I enjoyed reading it

Feb. 8, 2012 at 8:49 am :
Thx, LibbySon :))

LibbyRenee replied...
Feb. 9, 2012 at 8:37 am :
haha Yup :DD

Jo-Z12 said...
Feb. 6, 2012 at 2:30 pm:
I liked it, the voices you were hearing was a good touch. a little hard to realize the pov at the beginning

Feb. 7, 2012 at 8:41 am :
Yea, Thx :)

DarkIsThyThought said...
Feb. 6, 2012 at 8:51 am:
This story I find well written and profusely clever; Lil buddy. The Oscar reference is a joke me and Andria share about a girl we dislike.

Feb. 6, 2012 at 8:59 am :
Haha hey Alex! Cant wait till you put Inevitable up! Thx 4 the comment; Lil Buddy-Boy. (Even though your a girl). But, I'm posting more up soon! :))

AndrewRoman said...
Feb. 3, 2012 at 2:13 pm:
I like the shift of the POV. Really incorporates the reader and even so, I can infer from your style your voice and personality thereby making your writing yours. Its quite an amazing gift to have your voice developed so early. And, honestly, it can improve but for now, keep on going. You are on your way. And the Oscar thing stopped me but regardless, that makes it special.

Feb. 5, 2012 at 5:13 pm :
Thx. Yea, the Oscar thing was an inside joke between my friend and I. I'm writing a new short story, 'Demons in Wonderland'.

Mar. 8, 2012 at 8:30 am :
Scratch that. The Demons in 'Wonderland' is now a book, I couldn't stop writing :))