Hostage Part 1 | Teen Ink

Hostage Part 1

January 20, 2012
By Akash103 BRONZE, Williston Park, New York
Akash103 BRONZE, Williston Park, New York
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

I didn’t really expect my reputation to skyrocket after my last case. But I at least wished that I would have been promoted to a status where I didn’t receive all these lost cat requests! The only consolation I have is from my affirmation that “All detectives start small.”
So while I was minding my own business and trying to find the 3rd missing cat of the week, I found myself in front of a local super market. It was a local Stop&Shop but it wasn’t the one that I lived near. I hadn’t realized it but, I had walked all the way to a different town! To do all this for a cat, I though myself as crazy. But I thought back to when I was granted this case. I remembered how Nancy walked into my office-like bedroom and she was a bit on the corpulent side of the spectrum. I have nothing against fat people and that time wasn’t any different. But what really swayed me was the way she wept for her lost cat, “Kitty”, and that was enough to make that case my top priority. Also, the fact that I would be paid handsomely if I found Kitty within a week, helped to reinforce my already strong conviction. However, this specific cat- Kitty- had suddenly become my biggest challenge yet and this wasn’t a challenge that I would back down on. I knew if I tried hard enough, I would eventually find her… or was it a he? She never called Kitty anything other than its name or “my baby”.
But that’s when I heard the alarms go off in the bank next to me. I could hear screams emerging from the bank and it didn’t take long for me to jump into action.
The police hadn’t yet arrived, but I wasn’t going to wait for them when lives could be at risk. So once I quickly asked for a brief on the situation from a civilian who had been at the scene before me.
“Hey, you there!” I said to catch the civilian’s attention. “Do you know what’s going on?”
“I’m not sure but right when I exited the building, three men entered, holding briefcases. But after taking a few more steps, the everyone in the bank just broke out into screams!”
After I thanked him for the info, I decided to sneak up on them through the back door. So I traversed across the narrow side alleyway, which only had enough space for one person- that’s only if you held in your breath the whole time. But by the time I got to the back door, I found it jammed, forcing me to open a vent. Just like Batman in the game, Arkham City, I grappled with the edges of the vent and I made sure to keep the creaking at a minimum. I realized that I may also need a weapon in case they had guns, so I kicked the edge of a pole and pulled the other edge to get my hands on a staff- like weapon. I then crouched down, and began to crawl my way through the vent. Lucky for me, there was enough room to fit, but unluckily, it was extremely cold as well. I would never do this kind of thing due to my innate sense of laziness but for the sake of these innocent people, I had to. I trembled and crawled, making my way to right above the where the scene was taking place. I jumped down, trying to surprise the criminals. Usually, people would think I’m crazy for taking on armed criminals, but I’m actually pretty decent at martial arts. But I didn’t realize that a huge gap of time had passed since the time I climbed into the vent and when I had got out because when I escaped the vent’s cold grasp, the bank robbers had already left the scene leaving the victims, on the floor, sighing in a mixture of relief and fear.
When I asked them what had happened, they told me that the robbers had made their escape with the money, along with a hostage. “How could I have not thought of that,” I exclaimed in my head. “There’s no other way to escape other than by getting away without a hostage.” But to my luck, that’s when the police arrived. But what they saw was different than what had happened. What they saw, was a number of victims on the floor, and me, the only one standing up with a rod in my hand.
The police shouted, “Drop the weapon!” So I did, but they were convinced that I was working with the robbers. So they approached me at once and one of them hit me on the head with the blunt side of their gun to knock me unconscious. And that… was the story of how I got arrested for the first time.

The author's comments:
I like mystery! :D