"Love Me Tender" | Teen Ink

"Love Me Tender"

January 10, 2012
By SageN BRONZE, McVille, North Dakota
SageN BRONZE, McVille, North Dakota
3 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
"Poetry is not turning loose emotion, but an escape from personality"--T.S. Eliot


The candles flickered creating a warm glow in the cozy room. A young woman lounged on one of the two loveseats drinking a glass of wine all the while staring at the opposite wall with a thoughtful expression on her face. Suddenly there was a quick knock on the door. She slowly rose to her feet, went to the door and opened it.

“Hello officer, to what may I owe the pleasure?” The woman asked politely.

“Some of the neighbors are complaining of a disturbance. They said they could hear loud banging noises coming from your floor and since you’re the only person who lives up here, I thought you might be able to tell me what that noise might be.” The officer suggested while peering into the dimly lit room behind her. “I hope I’m not disturbing anything.” His ruddy cheeks visibly reddened.

“Oh no! I’m just enjoying a nice glass of wine.” The woman replied with a slow smile. “As for that sound I’m sure that would be the pipes. This is an old house with lots of strange sounds. Some nights I swear I can hear moaning in the walls.”

“Well, alright then glad we got that figured out. I’m sorry to disturb your evening Ma’am.” The officer reached to shake her hand and after releasing, realized his hand has a light coating of plaster dust on it.

“I’m sorry; I just finished spackling my walls a little bit ago. I’m kind of a do it yourself kind of woman I guess.” She pointed at the floor beneath the wall which was covered in an old sheet with several used tools laying on it.

“There’s nothing to be sorry about being independent miss. Have a good night.” The policeman tipped his hat and proceeded back down the hall. The woman watched him go then shut the door behind her and locked it with a quiet "click". She walked to the newly plastered wall and rested her hand upon it.

“Oh sweetheart, a police officer just came complaining about loud banging noises. You must be more considerate of the neighbors! We can’t have you waking them at all hours of the night, someone might come to investigate and we can’t have that now can we?” She said sweetly to the wall.

“Why…are…you…doing this?” A labored voice pleaded.

“Because you were going to leave me, silly! And I said I would do anything to be with you…..forever.”

The woman danced over to an old record player and put a record on. "Love Me Tender" began to play covering the desperate sounds of muffled thumping and yelling which began to fade as Elvis crooned, "Take me to your heart, for that's where I belong. And we'll never part..."